Lesson for Democrats to learn:

You've lost not only the presidency but also the House and Senate...and maybe even the Supreme Court within the next 4 years. The people have spoken. America is a center to center-right majority, and this will likely remain the case for another decade or two.

So take note and stop anointing extreme lefties to compete for high offices. Already I'm hearing people talk about Hillary Clinton in '08 :D

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

When you send this country into a REAL war when you piss off the wrong country with your far right masquerading as a center-right, then I won't cry for you. Seeds were sewn that will just grow into some nasty things down the road; don't be surprised.

When you overturn Roe vs. Wade and force women to either go to Canada for operations or to use coat hangers or to abandon their newborns all over or use illegal day after pills, don't be surprised.

When you make issues such as gay marriage the forefront of a crusade instead of protecting people's jobs and this momentum is shattered, don't be suprised.

When you are forced to implant a chip in your body, or to have your house searched unnecessarily, or when a family member dies in the next big terror attack because you believed your far-right buddies that you were safe, don't be surprised.

You get what you pay for, and in this case, you get what you elect.

Too bad it's real life, otherwise it would seem like fiction.

When you send this country into a REAL war when you piss off the wrong country with your far right masquerading as a center-right, then I won't cry for you. Seeds were sewn that will just grow into some nasty things down the road; don't be surprised.

When you overturn Roe vs. Wade and force women to either go to Canada for operations or to use coat hangers or to abandon their newborns all over or use illegal day after pills, don't be surprised.

When you make issues such as gay marriage the forefront of a crusade instead of protecting people's jobs and this momentum is shattered, don't be suprised.

When you are forced to implant a chip in your body, or to have your house searched unnecessarily, or when a family member dies in the next big terror attack because you believed your far-right buddies that you were safe, don't be surprised.

98969[/snapback]

THE SKY IS FALLING!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!

98969[/snapback]

Isn't that interesting?

Never mind that the two shining stars of GOP's future are socially liberal centrists from the core DEM states.

Tell me how the DEMs accepted the centrists in their primaries. A Bill Clinton may come around only once in a generation for the DEMs. Keep pandering to the divisiveness and you'll continue to drive the middle away.

The election apparently turned on the fact that the republican machine was better at getting 100,000 people out in Ohio than the Democratic machine did. It really wasn't anything other than that, and I doubt you guys would be saying the same thing if Kerry squeaked out Ohio and he was the one that looked like the winner this morning. Bush did well and won the popular vote but you guys gave no credit to Gore for winning the popular vote, and he was a worse candidate than Kerry was. This was an election based on the ability to win an election, and the political smarts and shrewdness of a better team of players playing politics, it was not a statement that the country is all that much one way or another. Hopefully, the GOP will do well with so much power in the next two years. And they may, but I am not betting on it.

The election apparently turned on the fact that the republican machine was better at getting 100,000 people out in Ohio than the Democratic machine did. It really wasn't anything other than that, and I doubt you guys would be saying the same thing if Kerry squeaked out Ohio and he was the one that looked like the winner this morning. Bush did well and won the popular vote but you guys gave no credit to Gore for winning the popular vote, and he was a worse candidate than Kerry was. This was an election based on the ability to win an election, and the political smarts and shrewdness of a better team of players playing politics, it was not a statement that the country is all that much one way or another. Hopefully, the GOP will do well with so much power in the next two years. And they may, but I am not betting on it.

99064[/snapback]

I'd be saying the exact same thing no matter who would have won.

For all the negativity surrounding Bush, this election should not have even been close. If the center right (the old Reagan Democrats/Clinton Republicans) felt comfortable about the candidate and the party, it's a runaway.

The election apparently turned on the fact that the republican machine was better at getting 100,000 people out in Ohio than the Democratic machine did. It really wasn't anything other than that,

99064[/snapback]

Then why in America is the word "liberalism" such a bad thing - bad enough that Kerry had to avoid it like the plague in the debates - while the word "conservative" isn't?

Can't ignore the 4 million popular vote margin of victory, either.

99064[/snapback]

But then, couldn't Republicans say the same things about Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania as you are saying about Ohio? The margins in those states are very close in favor of Kerry. In fact, unless the numbers have changed, the 140,000 lead Bush has in Ohio is greater than the lead Kerry has in any of those three states right now.

Then why in America is the word "liberalism" such a bad thing - bad enough that Kerry had to avoid it like the plague in the debates - while the word "conservative" isn't?

99096[/snapback]

Because the right has systematically over the last forty years misrepresented the word and the people that are liberals, and incrementally changed the meaning of the word in the American lexicon. Plus, over that same period of time, a smattering of liberals and liberal groups made complete fools and asses of themselves by going far too left and became easy targets. But it was a small minority of them, IMO. Liberal is not a bad thing it has become a bad word to half the country. "Liberals" are you use the term, and most conservatives do, doesn't do the word or the people justice. It has been a political tactic and has worked. Liberals who go too far left and crazy are a bad thing (and there are a significant number of them) but they are the vast minority, and basically the same minority as the extreme far right wackos are.

Can't ignore the 4 million popular vote margin of victory, either.

--------

I can ignore it seeing if you look at the percentage it's .02, 2 percent, of the population that voted.

99064[/snapback]

I feel that the continuation of the Clinton-style attack politics alienated many. And that the Democratic party is much different than it was in the past. How can you win a national election when you attempt to blame the incumbent for everything wrong in the entire world? Channel flipping, I heard Jeff Greenfield on CNN point out that the Dems outspent the GOP by 2 to one, and 9 to 1 by the 527's, so it wasn't money.

The Democratic Party has fundamental problems. It's appeal is pretty much to large population centers that are relatively higher users of government benefits - a columnist I read a few weeks ago (Tom Friedman? - I forget) pointed out that in the last Presidential election, the GOP won about 80% of U.S. counties, and a more realistic map would be almost all in red with dots of blue.

Having attack dogs like Carville, Begala, and Ickes calling shots didn't help.