Bills on the Clock

Through BuffaloRumblings.com

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/4/6/8...-bills#comments

They're right, O-line is overrated and as Dilfer said, doesn't matter if you have TO, if your QB doesn't have time to throw its pointless.

Favorite parts

1) "Pro Bowl Jason Peters of 08 was not the Pro Bowl Jason Peters of 07"

2) Mort admits he was wrong, Jauron DID want TO.

<_<

I think this is the first time that I agreed with Mel Kiper's selections for the Bills. He said that they should select Everette Brown with the first pick then go tight end in the second (Jared Cook, Shawn Nelson).

I disagree. The Bills need to get one of the best Gs in the draft. The guy they pick has to jump in and start from day one. IMO, they won't find him in the third round or lower.

Do you have some investment in Buffalo Rumblings? Is there some reason you linked to it instead of ESPN?

Ha...no....I just visited their site and saw it, then posted it here. I'm a little too lazy to take 10 min and search for it on ESPN or youtube, as I have no idea where it was linked from. If you want to do that, go right ahead.

I disagree. The Bills need to get one of the best Gs in the draft. The guy they pick has to jump in and start from day one. IMO, they won't find him in the third round or lower.

In the third where we pick, Herman Johnson, Canfield, or a few of the centers in addition to Urbik should be available. Almost all could start at LG.

Vintage Mort!!!

"When I look at the Bills right now...and the TO thing... it's desperation..."

Mort NEVER lets us down... :(

Signing TO for one year was not an act of deperation?

You can cheer the move, but you have to recognize it for what it is.

First of all, I have no idea what deperation is, and therefore cannot comment on that. However, if you're talking about desperation, that isn't something I see the move as. Just because a team that hasn't had a recent track record of success signs a big-name player doesn't mean that the move was made simply out of desperation. If Ralph and the Bills FO was acting out of pure desperation during the T.O. signing, they probably would also be desperate enough to fire Jauron and spend to the cap. Neither of which they are done. It is more likely that the Bills saw a guy that is still a VERY productive receiver in this league, by any scale, become available and be willing to accept the idea of a one-year contract, knowing that Owens has a great track record in his first year on new teams and is going to be looking for another big pay day after this year. Tons of incentive for him to perform well and put up big numbers, which will translate into us being a much effecient and dynamic offensive team, particularly in the red zone. This is/was not a "desperate" move on the Bills part, it was a smart move. Stop falling into Mort's trap.

I like your assessment. Given a different QB, one with a quick and confident release, our protection would have been sufficient. On running downs it is suspect early, seeming to gain momentum later. Still, it has not been dominant, which is a concern. A fan would like its team to have the type of line that can gain a yard when it needs to, no questions. My guess is that the problem with the passing is more to do with the recievers and coordinators. Either the recievers aren't getting separation, or, the routes aren't appropriate to the defence (i.e. predictable play calling), or, the calls are forced to Evans, regardless of coverage.

I think our running game has suffered more from predictability and the 8th man in the box more than from the blocking; especially in the second half of season once Butler returned to the lineup. I mean i wish we had a dominant smash mouth road grinding O-line who could bully its way around no matter what but that is becoming a rarity in today's NFL. The fact that we barely passed with the QB under center, rarely used playaction, or ran the ball from spread or shotgun formations it made us easy to defend. Think about it: if the QB is under center, all the D had to do was stack the box. Even if we did pass all they had to do was double Lee wait for either Trent to dump it off to the TE or RB in the flat or JP to hold it forever looking downfield.

...or JP was waiting on the big play, and Trent seems hesitant to let the ball go, before the WR makes his cut and/or appears wide open (particularly on medium-to-long routes).

I agree with this statement as the tape has shown several occasions where either Lee or Hardy have been open and Trent has become gun-shy and just take the easy way out. We have seen plenty of time where JP would hold the ball and sometimes pull a RJ and run out of bounds for short sack; there were plenty of times I'd wish he just take off and run! While it may be some truth in the fact that the WR's can't get open, this year there shouldn't be ANY excuses! You can't tell me that the D can double Lee, TO, and the slot WR's. Hopefully they stick with the singleback theme and either utilize a hybrid TE/H-back or go with a base 3WR look. If they try to go with the standard 2 RB, 2WR look they will limit themselves as they don't have a diiference maker at FB to add to the running game or a standout TE to make teams pay for doubling the outside guys. However if they ran the ball more from a singleback look they maybe can establish what has been lacking in Buffalo since the K-gun days: AN OFFENSIVE IDENTITY! With a BALANCED offense, one in which find a personell group in which you can have success both running and passing, requiring substituion only in critical situations (3rd and long,goaline, etc,) it leads to less predictability. We could be an offense that gameplans instead of just call plays and hope they work!

Ha...no....I just visited their site and saw it, then posted it here. I'm a little too lazy to take 10 min and search for it on ESPN or youtube, as I have no idea where it was linked from. If you want to do that, go right ahead.

FWIW, there's a link to TG's blog (as well as Chris Brown's, the BuffNews Billboard, and Sal Maiorana's) on the drop-down menu on the front page of TBD. Hit "Resources," scroll down to "Blogs," and you're there.

And if Rumblings didn't attribute their source, boo to them.

Respectfully disagree Weo. I totally disagree that it can be reduced to simply being a desperation move. When I and many make decisions, I do so using an audit system with pros and cons and each one weighted. Tally it up and look at the results. Then make a decision.

The Owens signing makes sense both from a marketing standpoint and a football standpoint. The worst that can happen is that they don't make the playoffs again. In almost no way does it not make sense. It makes so much sense from all standpoints that it would have been stupid not to make the move.

In general the negativity here is so rampant that even sensible moves by the front office are nitpicked, dissected, and torn apart.