Bills' Strategy for the OL

H2o

With all of the "big names" off of the boards for the most part people are wondering why the Bills haven't sured up the OL yet, with Dockery being cut and all. There are 2 reasons that I can think of as to why they haven't made a move yet, in FA anyway. I really believe that our FO has SERIOUS interest in acquiring Brian Waters from KC, IF they aren't being completely unreasonable with the asking price. Second, they are REALLY studying all of these guys that are likely to be coming off the board in the first 3 rounds of the draft this year for the OL. Alot of stock could be going into a rookie on the OL to be a key contributor. Guys like Alex Mack, Eric Wood, Duke Robinson, Max Unger, Johnathan Luigs, Andre Caldwell, Herman Johnson, A.Q. Shipley, Andy Levitre, Kraig Urbik, Trevor Canfield, and Louis Vasquez(whom I think is a "sleeper" coming out of this draft) are getting serious consideration to fill our LG spot on the OL. Or they could even be looking at drafting some one to play RG and move Butler to LG. Either way, I believe that trade possibilities and the draft are what's holding us back from making a move just yet. If Waters can't be had, we'll be taking two OL players in the first 5 rounds of the draft and signing Kendall Simmons to a deal. If we can get Waters, we'll draft one guy on the OL within the first 3 rounds and draft guys for depth likely in the 6th and 7th rounds. Waters is the key to this whole situation. There are also cuts after the draft, especially if teams draft a player that they believe fills out their roster better than another. There are also more cuts due to cap purposes. They could be waiting on all of this to play out as well before signing palyers for "depth purposes". I think everyone just needs to calm down a bit. We wouldn't go out and sign Terrell Owens if we planned on leaving a gaping hole in the left side of our offense. The needs WILL be addressed and they will be addressed adequately. I have faith that our FO isn't that stupid. But then again, we did blow what could've been a trade for Dockery. :nana:

I agree that the Bills have some options still, and are certainly looking to bring in that K.C. lineman, if possible. I see them handing over a 2nd rounder or a 3rd, if K.C. is looking to pick up someone at either of those spots. A whole lot depends on the Peters contract. If we can't sign him before the draft, I'd expect to see him traded. How about Waters and Gonz, for Peters? Or, a first round pick? In that case, we'd be looking to fill two vacant O-line spots. I believe, too, that the F.O. has some faith in Bell, who is supposed to be a raw physical specimen, something akin to what Peters was before the hype. However it unfolds, I hope the Bills brass bring resolution to the line questions before the draft. It's a lot to leave to rookies, and there is certainly no doubt we need a consistent line this year for anything to happen.

My fear: that the Bills as an organization are working within a certain spending limit, looking at maximizing revenue - i.e., as a business, and that signing T.O. will be enough to sell tickets this year. If the upper tier really wants to win, and that is my hope, that with the Wilson induction and the 50th anniversary, that they'll spend, if need be, to put together a capable squad. If they don't, then they'll be planning the next coaching staff next year, and eventually moving the Bills elsewhere. Is that a big leap? Well, they are close to having quality players at every position this year, and to do what they have to to secure the missing pieces, which they can do via trade, F.A., and the draft, would be a way of giving Juaron a legitimate chance. If they shy away from spending, and make due, then it implies either they're more concerned with profit, or they are looking to exit the Juaron era for an entruiging candidate (a number of whom will be there) next year.

Still - why keep him this year if they aren't willing to give him a legitimate squad? They know they have to play the Pat's twice, and the Dolphins aren't pushovers, and the Jets have a pretty scary new coach in Ryan.

But then again, we did blow what could've been a trade for Dockery. :nana:

You still believe that?

BTW, the rest of the post makes a lot of sense, and I believe they are plotting something.

"I really believe that our FO has SERIOUS interest in acquiring Brian Waters from KC, IF they aren't being completely unreasonable with the asking price. Second, they are REALLY studying all of these guys that are likely to be coming off the board in the first 3 rounds of the draft this year for the OL."

Where is the information that supports this? :nana: Are you an insider?

I think its a question of timing as to win the Bills are looking to make the playoffs.

If the team wants to make the playoffs this year after a decade of drought then they are far more interested in vets acquired by FA and trades.

If however they are willing to take another year in the wilderness and take a bigger chance that they will not make a later in the first round pick of another Mike Williamsesque pick then they depend on the draft.

The simple fact is that rookies are not vets and if they depend on the draft to build this OL then its a two year process even if you are good and you are lucky.

Going with vets means you make concessions like going with a vet who may be self-centered (the prob with Peters) or you sign a flawed player but the advantage is you know his flaws and you build an OL that makes up for what present and future players do well and do not do well.

Personally, I am interested enough in winning that the draft for me is a depth and hole filler. The simple stats are that even though the conventional wisdom is that a 1st rounder should be a starter in his first year (we got spoiled by the very good pick of Clements), but its only a hair over 50% of the first round picks being first on the team depth chart the next year (I do not know if this was true of last years class if someone is good enough to check but this is how it played out in previous years).

Even worse, there is a heavy bias toward truly elite players being first year starters and first on the depth chart their sophomore year. Since I define elite players as those who command a top 10 pick, the Bills at #11 are going to get a guy who is pretty good but the odds of a player taken in the second two thirds of the first round is that he well may not be a contributor as a starter.

The idea that some folks have of trading Peters for 2 1st rounders both of whom would be in the lower third of the first round (if the trade partner is Philly) or this year and next year from some other teams would almost certainly be a death knell for our chances of making the playoffs this year.

This is one fan who hopes we do not drink the Mel Kiper/fantasy football Kool-aid and depend on the draft for a solid starter in 09 because if we do we are almost certainly going to be very disappointed.

With all of the "big names" off of the boards for the most part people are wondering why the Bills haven't sured up the OL yet, with Dockery being cut and all. There are 2 reasons that I can think of as to why they haven't made a move yet, in FA anyway. I really believe that our FO has SERIOUS interest in acquiring Brian Waters from KC, IF they aren't being completely unreasonable with the asking price. Second, they are REALLY studying all of these guys that are likely to be coming off the board in the first 3 rounds of the draft this year for the OL. Alot of stock could be going into a rookie on the OL to be a key contributor. Guys like Alex Mack, Eric Wood, Duke Robinson, Max Unger, Johnathan Luigs, Andre Caldwell, Herman Johnson, A.Q. Shipley, Andy Levitre, Kraig Urbik, Trevor Canfield, and Louis Vasquez(whom I think is a "sleeper" coming out of this draft) are getting serious consideration to fill our LG spot on the OL. Or they could even be looking at drafting some one to play RG and move Butler to LG. Either way, I believe that trade possibilities and the draft are what's holding us back from making a move just yet. If Waters can't be had, we'll be taking two OL players in the first 5 rounds of the draft and signing Kendall Simmons to a deal. If we can get Waters, we'll draft one guy on the OL within the first 3 rounds and draft guys for depth likely in the 6th and 7th rounds. Waters is the key to this whole situation. There are also cuts after the draft, especially if teams draft a player that they believe fills out their roster better than another. There are also more cuts due to cap purposes. They could be waiting on all of this to play out as well before signing palyers for "depth purposes". I think everyone just needs to calm down a bit. We wouldn't go out and sign Terrell Owens if we planned on leaving a gaping hole in the left side of our offense. The needs WILL be addressed and they will be addressed adequately. I have faith that our FO isn't that stupid. But then again, we did blow what could've been a trade for Dockery. :lol:

You are making this front office sound normal. I remind you that Dick Jauron will be in that room.

In any event, let's hope you are correct. :nana:

We wouldn't go out and sign Terrell Owens if we planned on leaving a gaping hole in the left side of our offense. The needs WILL be addressed and they will be addressed adequately.

This is the same team that drafted Whitner and did nothing for the DL except throw re-up money at DEs who cannot pressure the QB. The front office can definitely do nothing for an area of need --- matter of fact, they've been among the best in the league at doing nothing, ignoring obvious problems and hoping they go away.

This is the same team that drafted Whitner and did nothing for the DL except throw re-up money at DEs who cannot pressure the QB. The front office can definitely do nothing for an area of need --- matter of fact, they've been among the best in the league at doing nothing, ignoring obvious problems and hoping they go away.

And by nothing you mean trade up to draft a DLineman in the first round, then draft another one the next day.

You still believe that?

BTW, the rest of the post makes a lot of sense, and I believe they are plotting something.

Sure. Gotta stockpile those 7th round picks!

IMO, they have some kind of deal in place that will unfold at the draft.

And by nothing you mean trade up to draft a DLineman in the first round, then draft another one the next day.

One spot, at a position that is heavily rotational in this system, on a team that is historically averse to starting rookies unless there's almost no other option. Nevermind that DTs are not so much pass-rushers in said system --- you can have the Second Coming at S... but if you can't pressure the QB, it's for naught. OK --- "next to nothing." Happy?