Rejoice folks

sullim4

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=154865

Summary:

- DirecTV signs exclusive agreement through 2014, paying the NFL $1,000,000,000/yr for the rights.

- No later than 2012, people without a DirecTV subscription will be able to subscribe to Sunday Ticket online.

- No later than 2012, the Red Zone Channel will be made available to all cable and telco companies.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Summary:

- DirecTV signs exclusive agreement through 2014, paying the NFL $1,000,000,000/yr for the rights.

- No later than 2011, people without a DirecTV subscription will be able to subscribe to Sunday Ticket online.

- No later than 2011, the Red Zone Channel will be made available to all cable and telco companies.

2014? Not sure I will be following NFL football in 5 years...would have been nice though, when I still had a team! :rolleyes:

Summary:

- No later than 2011, people without a DirecTV subscription will be able to subscribe to Sunday Ticket online.

- No later than 2011, the Red Zone Channel will be made available to all cable and telco companies.

Actually, according to your link, the dates for the second and third points are no later than 2012.

And, more importantly, I think, the bolded point is worded like this:

The agreement also significantly broadens the reach of NFL SUNDAY TICKET by enabling NFL fans who cannot receive DIRECTV satellite service to get NFL SUNDAY TICKET via broadband. This service will begin no later than 201

I would think that "cannot receive DirectTV" is different than simply "without a DTV subscription". But the only thing I've seen is what you linked.

Fixed. There is no practical way they can determine who can and who cannot receive DirecTV, unless they want to send people out to individual homes for site surveys. That to me says that they worded the press release in a poor way, and that anyone who wants it will be able to receive it online.

Fixed. There is no practical way they can determine who can and who cannot receive DirecTV, unless they want to send people out to individual homes for site surveys. That to me says that they worded the press release in a poor way, and that anyone who wants it will be able to receive it online.

I wouldn't make that bet.

Care to back up that opinion with any basis of fact? Do you really think they're going to send technicians out to tens of thousands of homes (likely more) to determine who can and who cannot receive signals?

Care to back up that opinion with any basis of fact? Do you really think they're going to send technicians out to tens of thousands of homes (likely more) to determine who can and who cannot receive signals?

I don't know, but I think it might be for situations where DTV cannot install, and it is a concession to the NFL who probably pointed out that some people can't even choose to install DTV, and were being shut out of the opportunity to get the package. Places like Dorms, and any quarters where tenants have no choice beyond what they are supplied.

Now, I would also imagine that anyone who simply can't get a dish installed to get a DTV signal would be eligible too, but I imagine DTV would have to give some authorization.

Now, I may simply be reading too much into this, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it means. Otherwise, "DTV's EXCLUSIVE rights, until 2014, is relatively meaningless....no?

However, the agreement opens the door to a wider reach for the out-of-home package, which will become available to broadband subscribers that can't receive DirecTV. The satellite leader will aim this broadband service at those who reside in multi-unit dwellings or satellite customers with poor exposure to a satellite signal.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/190542...t_Extension.php

Now, I may simply be reading too much into this, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it means. Otherwise, "DTV's EXCLUSIVE rights, until 2014, is relatively meaningless....no?

No it means you will need to pay a fee. Does not even mean it will be on TV but could be available via computer like internet radio of games is.

No it means you will need to pay a fee. Does not even mean it will be on TV but could be available via computer like internet radio of games is.

Read the post above yours, G.

The catch is that people who cannot receive satellite can get it via Broadband. So...if I have cable, that (by definition) means I cannot get it through DIRECTV :rolleyes:

Also, a lot of people in large apartment buildings cannot get DIRECTV. That could be a huge money maker for the NFL and DIRECTV.

Read the post above yours, G.

Wasn't there when I posted but that often happens in a hot topic especially when I am multitasking. Either that or poster is on my ignore list. :rolleyes:

The catch is that people who cannot receive satellite can get it via Broadband. So...if I have cable, that (by definition) means I cannot get it through DIRECTV :(

Why? If you want to you can get more than one service provider. It will cost more but networks do not mind as long as you pay them too.

Wasn't there when I posted but that often happens in a hot topic especially when I am multitasking. Either that or poster is on my ignore list. :rolleyes:

That's what I figured, which is why I posted again.

BTW, depending on how the deal is written, and what DTV's situation is, come 2012, they may be very lenient, and simply sell it to whoever "claims" they can't get DTV, to rake in some revenue. Or they might be very strict, and try to do whatever possible to get DTV installed. No telling, really, how it will play out, without more detail

Watching the Bills on a 60" HD monitor is worse than going to the game; do you actually think watching a game on your PC is going to attract people??

Watching the Bills on a 60" HD monitor is worse than going to the game; do you actually think watching a game on your PC is going to attract people??

If you have the big screen TV, all you have to do is get a couple of cables and hook up your PC or laptop to the TV and you are watching on the big screen. I do that with Netflix. Hook up my laptop and watch movies on regular TV.