LAMP- residency question

justnzane

Ok, I am stuck here in Atlanta until my contract expires with my employer in June. I am moving back home to Depew at that point. I will have been in Georgia for 11 months. The question is: "Am I still a resident of NY?"

This is for my financial aid decisions for grad work. It could be what pushes me from going to Buff State to going to Canisius.

and this is not as simple as sue's homework thread, I have been googling around for a straight answer but can't find one.

Ok, I am stuck here in Atlanta until my contract expires with my employer in June. I am moving back home to Depew at that point. I will have been in Georgia for 11 months. The question is: "Am I still a resident of NY?"

Unfortunately, you are now officially a redneck. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, you are now officially a redneck. :lol:

Yup...gotta vote GOP now justnzane! :thumbsup:

Seriously, I don't know how carefully they check these things, but if you've been there 11 months in June, than it sounds like you were a NYS resident for 7 months last year and six months this year. So if you file a NYS tax return as a part time resident for both years I would think you are ok.

Yup...gotta vote GOP now justnzane! :thumbsup:

Seriously, I don't know how carefully they check these things, but if you've been there 11 months in June, than it sounds like you were a NYS resident for 7 months last year and six months this year. So if you file a NYS tax return as a part time resident for both years I would think you are ok.

thx KD that is what I was thinking.

and slash GA license now. Will get rid of this McLovin-esque license from GA as soon as I get back home to NY.

thx KD that is what I was thinking.

and slash GA license now. Will get rid of this McLovin-esque license from GA as soon as I get back home to NY.

Did you surrender your NY license when you got the GA license?

If you've got a GA license (with a GA address listed :thumbsup:) and pay GA income taxes, I doubt you can claim NY residency

Did you surrender your NY license when you got the GA license?

If you've got a GA license (with a GA address listed :thumbsup:) and pay GA income taxes, I doubt you can claim NY residency

had to surrender it. i have to do my taxes, yet. But since I lived in NY the majority of the year last year, I obviously would have to pay them corrupt bastards up there. So far, I like KD's response, but I really want to know. Worst comes to worst, I can call up Muff State monday and find out for sure.

had to surrender it. i have to do my taxes, yet. But since I lived in NY the majority of the year last year, I obviously would have to pay them corrupt bastards up there. So far, I like KD's response, but I really want to know. Worst comes to worst, I can call up Muff State monday and find out for sure.

If you are trying to get the in-state tuition rate at Buff state, why would you call and tip their hats? Just change your residence ASAP and tell them you are an NYS resident when it comes time to pay tuition.

If you are trying to get the in-state tuition rate at Buff state, why would you call and tip their hats? Just change your residence ASAP and tell them you are an NYS resident when it comes time to pay tuition.

I knew a guy in college that did that. He lived in PA, and had a post office box in town where the college was listed as his 'residence'.

Of course that was 20 years ago, so rules/laws may have changed.

They check up on that stuff, and you have to prove that you have lived in state for the previous 12 months to establish residency in-state.

I will call monday, tried today, but no one home.

This is for my financial aid decisions for grad work. It could be what pushes me from going to Buff State to going to Canisius.

and this is not as simple as sue's homework thread, I have been googling around for a straight answer but can't find one.

If you live in Georgia, you're a redneck.

If you live in Depew, you're white trash.

:thumbsup:

Serious answer:

When I moved to Minnesota, I had to live here for 12 months without going to school to be considered a resident.

Not sure if other states are different,

that is what SUNY does as well. So by that definition, I am not a resident of Georgia. I am just making sure I am not getting loophole screwed.

• 3 weeks later...
No doubt, they would also throw in free health care, prescription drugs, and food stamps.

And give you the right to sue businesses and schools to force them to speak your native langauge.

I knew a guy in college that did that. He lived in PA, and had a post office box in town where the college was listed as his 'residence'.

Of course that was 20 years ago, so rules/laws may have changed.

These days I think you need to be on the tax rolls. A friend of mine bought a postage stamp lot in TX to claim residency so he could avoid state income taxes while overseas.