tHE REAL Jason Peters solution

You don't understand why an undrafted free agent shouldn't be paid like a #1 overall pick? You don't understand that rookie contracts for top ten picks are way out of wack? You don't understand that this contract would pay him more than the second highest paid lineman in the league, Alan Faneca? You don't understand that he gave up 11.5 sacks last year and proved that he's not a very good teammate and certainly not an "elite" tackle in this league???

What don't you understand, exactly???

You keep comparing him to the overpaid Long. Great. What about Ryan Clady? He's signed a six-year, $14.75M contract

I'll just keep saying it until people learn to qualify their statements...

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...900&st=200#

To the OP: I think its a good idea. You could also add in some options in his contracts and incentives. Pay him 8 mil base salary, 4 mil/yr guaranteed, with 2 mil in bonuses if they make the playoffs, another mil in bonuses if they make the AFC championship, another mil if they win the SB. Then have an option to sign him in 2 years at 11.5 mil/year with comparable incentives. It may seem like an expensive approach, but lets just assume the Bills win everything and they have to pay all the incentives. They can afford it because with winning comes additional income. Just look at the Patriots. If the Bills go the playoffs they are going to sell out a lot more games, merchandise, etc. So there will be money to cover his contract. If they lose, they get his services at a bargain price. If he gets injured, they suffer a substantial salary cap penalty, but will lack the talent to win consistently regardless of how they spend that 4mil/year they lose in guaranteed salary. I'm sorry but drafting a highly rated college player to a critical position is what you do when you are rebuilding, and personally, I'm sick of watching the Bills rebuild.

Philly has an insane number of picks:

RD1 - 21

RD1- 28

RD2- 53

RD3- 85

RD4- 117

RD5- 133, 145, 149

RD6- 181

RD7- 213

I'd trade Peters to Philly for their RD1-21, RD2-53, RD4-117 and RD5-133. We'll bring in two good players in each of our need positions DE, TE, OG, FS--plus one at ILB and DT:

11-Trade Up To Pick 5 for Jason Smith OT Baylor

21-Trade Up To Pick 5 for Jason Smith OT Baylor

42-Connor Barwin DE Cincinnati

53-Duke Robinson OG Oklahoma

75-James Casey TE Rice or Coffman (I think 1 will be there; GBay takes the other one)

106- Derek Pegues FS Mississippi St

117-Cornelius Ingram TE Florida

133-Jason Phillips ILB TCU

139-Vance Walker DT43 Georgia Tech

145-Matt Shaughnessy DE43 Wisconsin

170-Chris Clemons FS Clemson

202-Andy Kemp OG Wisconsin

Philly simply wouldn't do that. Hell, I wouldn't do that, and I would pick Peters second or third in my league-wide fantasy draft. This is approaching Ricky Williams trade value.

Philly has lots of draft picks because they value lots of draft picks.

Peters has asked for a heck of a lot of money. The Bills have offered him a lower amount. Now, the process is of slowly bargaining, working towards the other guy's offer and meeting in the middle. Expect Peters to end up with $10 - $10. 5 mill./ year. He's worth it.

As for the $8 mill. a year 2-year offer, if you force Peters to take this, which he might, you will create bad blood, serious bad blood, and he would leave in two years without allowing us to get anything in trade for him.

I wasn't trying to be a dick, but you said you don't understand how people aren't "getting" it. You and a few others compare him to Jake Long - but what about all the other tackles in the league? So Jake Long - as the #1 overall pick - is extremely overpaid. Now every single LT contract should be reworked? Top ten picks are always overpaid. The new deal makes Peters the second highest paid lineman in all of football. If he doesn't like it then enjoy your time in Philly, I'm sure we'll be well compensated for him.

Look, salaries go up with time, that has been a fact for decades now.

And what does the fact that Clady is underpaid have to do with absolutely anything?

Peters is arguably the best o-lineman in the league, though there are four or five others who have an argument, most of them are older. Do you expect Peters to say, "Well, I've been underpaid for a while now, so what I want is to get a contract that pays me too little, like Clady." He's comparing himself to the highest-paid guys because he's among the best in the league. Clady's contract, which looks bad for him in retrospect, is not his problem. Peters has already gone through that.

The Bills apparently offered this douche a deal that would pay him over the $11.5M per that Long gets and he turned it down. Apparently they're still $3M per apart. Insane.

I want him to stay in Buffalo. I'd give him a 5 year $60M deal. But with reasonable incentive clauses like pro bowls, playing time and low sacks allowed totals.

If he doesn't get traded, which I hope to god he doesn't.

Then I believe the deal go something like this. He will get a 6 year $60 Million with incentives that can escalate his pay to up to as much as $1-2Million a year in incentives. With $30 Million gauranteed over the next 3 years.

No disrespect Hocknod, now your talking irrationaly. If you don't see my point, then there is no need to go any further. I have explained my view at least a half a dozen times, and I'm obviously not communicating effectively with you. I feel as if I have made my point. Some see it, some don't like yourself, so there we are.

Astrobot, if we had to go the trading route, just for fun, and lets say that they traded their 1st 2nd 4th and 5th.

I'd much rather draft Pettigrew at the #11 and role the dice with Bretton at the #21 spot. Then Duke Robinson with our second round pick and hopefully Sidbury with their 2nd round pick. What thinks you?

Hey, Gox. I think you mean Beatty at the #21 spot. Here's that simulation draft from www.DraftTek.com.

The Eagles take Andre Smith (now the 4th ranked LT) at #11, and Chris Wells (RB) at #28. They get what they want.

Detroit at #20 takes Brandon Pettigrew, and our plan is foiled temporarily.

The Bills take LT William Beatty at #21, DE Robert Ayers at #42, Jared Cook TE at the Eagles RD2 pick, Andy Levitre OG at their RD3, and Alex Magee DT from Purdue with their RD4. We get the Eagles RD4 at #117 and take Jason Phillips ILB out of TCU. At the Philly pick in RD5#133 we take A.Q. Shipley OC Penn State, and at #139 we nab Courtney Greene SS Rutgers. At our 170 we take Chris Clemons FS Clemson, and the computer takes the BPA in Round 7, Arian Foster RB Tennessee.

Note that Robinson and Sidbury weren't available at the the second round picks.

I'll just keep saying it until people learn to qualify their statements...

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...900&st=200#

Great. Very helpful...

Look, salaries go up with time, that has been a fact for decades now.

And what does the fact that Clady is underpaid have to do with absolutely anything?

Peters is arguably the best o-lineman in the league, though there are four or five others who have an argument, most of them are older. Do you expect Peters to say, "Well, I've been underpaid for a while now, so what I want is to get a contract that pays me too little, like Clady." He's comparing himself to the highest-paid guys because he's among the best in the league. Clady's contract, which looks bad for him in retrospect, is not his problem. Peters has already gone through that.

So Clady is "underpaid" and that's irrelevant, but Jake Long being "overpaid" - and EVERYONE agrees that he is - isn't irrelevant? Yeah, that makes sense.

Peters isn't the best left tackle in the league, much less the best offensive lineman in the league, sorry.

The Bills apparently offered this douche a deal that would pay him over the $11.5M per that Long gets and he turned it down. Apparently they're still $3M per apart. Insane.

I want him to stay in Buffalo. I'd give him a 5 year $60M deal. But with reasonable incentive clauses like pro bowls, playing time and low sacks allowed totals.

You have your facts incorrect. The story is that Peters' starting offer to the Bills is $11.5 million per and that the Bills are offering $8.5 million.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/606369.html

Hey, Gox. I think you mean Beatty at the #21 spot. Here's that simulation draft from www.DraftTek.com.

The Eagles take Andre Smith (now the 4th ranked LT) at #11, and Chris Wells (RB) at #28. They get what they want.

Detroit at #20 takes Brandon Pettigrew, and our plan is foiled temporarily.

The Bills take LT William Beatty at #21, DE Robert Ayers at #42, Jared Cook TE at the Eagles RD2 pick, Andy Levitre OG at their RD3, and Alex Magee DT from Purdue with their RD4. We get the Eagles RD4 at #117 and take Jason Phillips ILB out of TCU. At the Philly pick in RD5#133 we take A.Q. Shipley OC Penn State, and at #139 we nab Courtney Greene SS Rutgers. At our 170 we take Chris Clemons FS Clemson, and the computer takes the BPA in Round 7, Arian Foster RB Tennessee.

Note that Robinson and Sidbury weren't available at the the second round picks.

Astro,

I was talking about Eben Britton, I mispelled his last name, I think I typed Bretton.

He seems like an interesting prospect if we had to go that route.

TE Pettigrew at #11

LT Britton at #21

LG Duke Robinson at #42

DE Lawrence Sidbury with second round Philly pick (we probably would have to trade a fifth or 6th rounder to move up a few spots to get him

Now I know that this is highly unlikely, but I am basing it if we traded Peters under your draft scenario.

Philly has an insane number of picks:

RD1 - 21

RD1- 28

RD2- 53

RD3- 85

RD4- 117

RD5- 133, 145, 149

RD6- 181

RD7- 213

I'd trade Peters to Philly for their RD1-21, RD2-53, RD4-117 and RD5-133. We'll bring in two good players in each of our need positions DE, TE, OG, FS--plus one at ILB and DT:

11-Trade Up To Pick 5 for Jason Smith OT Baylor

21-Trade Up To Pick 5 for Jason Smith OT Baylor

42-Connor Barwin DE Cincinnati

53-Duke Robinson OG Oklahoma

75-James Casey TE Rice or Coffman (I think 1 will be there; GBay takes the other one)

106- Derek Pegues FS Mississippi St

117-Cornelius Ingram TE Florida

133-Jason Phillips ILB TCU

139-Vance Walker DT43 Georgia Tech

145-Matt Shaughnessy DE43 Wisconsin

170-Chris Clemons FS Clemson

202-Andy Kemp OG Wisconsin

Now there is a guy who's thought this out! :thumbsup:

according to Carucci, we might not even gegt a first rounder, and the bills are still thinking about it. he claims that Peters is our headache, and Philly is the advil.

Take it for what its worth, I am not a hgugeg carucci fan, but he is pretty reliable.

Anything less than a first would be a waste, you might as well give him the money at that point.

He deserves Gross money, that's just what the market dictates right now.

Long doesn't deserve Long money, the NFL REALLY needs to nip these oversized rookie contracts in the bud, it's throwing off the market, forcing teams to not want a top 10 pick, and the only ones who benefit are the few players and their agents. Rookies should never be the highest paid player on the team.

I totally agree Bill.

The NFL needs to have a cap system on rookie contracts based on where a player is chosen. The only sticking point is that the contracts would have to have a reasonable end date - say 2-3 years to allow the player to renegotiate or hit FA. That still keeps the draft competitive, and teams would not be so frightened of missing the mark on that first draft pick and dumping a ton of money on a possible bust.

You would have more teams busy reworking the contracts of their young players, but the salaries would be based on the going salaries of NFL players that have been in the trenches of a while - not rookies. Also teams generally get a feel after 2-3 years whether a player is going to catch on or not with the team.

Not a perfect solution, but its something.