tHE REAL Jason Peters solution

I believe the solution to the Peters situation is to just rip up the last two years of his contract and give him 8 mil or so a year for the 2 years.

He gets a good wage and gets his big payday in 2 years. WE get to keep him around for the original length of the contract at a reasonable number.

Opinions?

I believe the solution to the Peters situation is to just rip up the last two years of his contract and give him 8 mil or so a year for the 2 years.

He gets a good wage and gets his big payday in 2 years. WE get to keep him around for the original length of the contract at a reasonable number.

Opinions?

His argument will be that he could be hurt in 2 years. What you propose is fair to the team, but it basically takes all of the risk and puts it on the player.

His argument will be that he could be hurt in 2 years. What you propose is fair to the team, but it basically takes all of the risk and puts it on the player.

All of the risk. I think I could retire on sixteen million. He has two years left at four a year. His agent better consider that.

that turd schoebel had 3 years left when they decided to overpay him

I still don't understand how guys like Schoebel & Kelsay can haul in these enormous contracts -- it just defies logic. They've never been more than adequate and neither is a "complete" player (being both a good pass rusher and a good run stopper).

All of the risk. I think I could retire on sixteen million. He has two years left at four a year. His agent better consider that.

I agree completely, but it's two different worlds. He's not trying to get more money because there is such a difference between the way that he can live/retire making $4MM, $8MM, or $11.5MM/yr. It's more of an ego thing. He believes that he's the best lineman in the game and wants to be paid that way. If the going rate was $8MM, he'd be going for $8MM+. It just happens that the going rate is now $11.5MM, so he's going for that.

I can't say I blame the guy, because there isn't a player in the league who would accept that big of a discrepancy ($4MM vs $10+MM) in what they are being paid vs. what they are worth.

I agree completely, but it's two different worlds. He's not trying to get more money because there is such a difference between the way that he can live/retire making $4MM, $8MM, or $11.5MM/yr. It's more of an ego thing. He believes that he's the best lineman in the game and wants to be paid that way. If the going rate was $8MM, he'd be going for $8MM+. It just happens that the going rate is now $11.5MM, so he's going for that.

I can't say I blame the guy, because there isn't a player in the league who would accept that big of a discrepancy ($4MM vs $10+MM) in what they are being paid vs. what they are worth.

It's not an ego thing.

Remember, It's his super high powered Agent that is advising him, insuring him, telling him what he believes is best for Jason Peters.

Whether you guyz like it or not, he has made two probowls and two second team All Pro's in his first two years. He is young, and they want him to get paid more than Jake Long or Jordan Gross who havn't accomplished as much in their careers.

It is a matter of respect, not ego. The agent is pushing for this deal, as a good agent should do. They do have a strong argument.

To pay him $8 Million, when a rookie football player who never even stepped on the field is making over $10 Million a year, is a slap in the face.

I just don't understand why people don't see this.

Having said that, The Bills have the leverage. They should offer him a deal of $10 Million gauranteed with incentives that could take him up to $12 Million a year.

Even if the Bills hold firm to their offer of $8.5 Million a year, which I believe is a slap in the face, and decide not to trade him, it will still be hard for Peters to not accept the deal.

Here's why;

1. His options are that he can sit out the remaining two years, which is very unlikely, he would lose out on $8Million and we know he won't do that.

2. He doesn't accept the offer and he either holds out or doesn't in either case he receives $4Million a year for 2 years, receiving $8Million. By the time his contract expires he will be pushing on 30 years old and it will be more difficult to get a huge up front guaranteed contract.

3. He accepts the $8.5 Million a year, over the first two years of the contract he is gauranteed to make at least $9Million dollars more than as opposed to not accepting it. Which that is a lot of money to pass up on.

4. If the Bills are offering a 6 year contract of around $50 Million you have to figure that $25 Million of that is gauranteed. As of right now he has $8Million coming to him.

Now what the Bills could do to appease him is give him a contract where he could opt out after 3/4 years. It wouldn't make sense for them to make it after 2, because they all ready have him for 2 years.

Trading Peters Will be tough to do. I am pretty sure that Philadelphia wouldn't give up both of their #1 picks. His value is not as high as you think, for the simple fact of the money that he is demanding. I just can't see Philadelphia trading both their #1 picks and then giving him a $12Million dollar a year contract. I just don't see it.

He deserves Gross money, that's just what the market dictates right now.

Long doesn't deserve Long money, the NFL REALLY needs to nip these oversized rookie contracts in the bud, it's throwing off the market, forcing teams to not want a top 10 pick, and the only ones who benefit are the few players and their agents. Rookies should never be the highest paid player on the team.

To pay him $8 Million, when a rookie football player who never even stepped on the field is making over $10 Million a year, is a slap in the face.

The debate about Peters' worth and value aside, this to me is more of an issue that has to be resolved in the CBA, where the union and owners agree to cap rookie salaries and signing bonuses so that guys who have never set foot on an NFL field are not making more than established stars.

Problem is the union wants nothing to do with it, because of situations like this. Long gets his massive, undeserved rookie contract and as a result Peters and all the other established LT's can squawk and push for new contracts, raising the bar for everyone.

The debate about Peters' worth and value aside, this to me is more of an issue that has to be resolved in the CBA, where the union and owners agree to cap rookie salaries and signing bonuses so that guys who have never set foot on an NFL field are not making more than established stars.

Problem is the union wants nothing to do with it, because of situations like this. Long gets his massive, undeserved rookie contract and Peters and as a result all the other established LT's can squawk and push for new contracts, raising the bar for everyone.

I couldn't agree with you more. It screws up the balance of justified pay. It's ridiculous for players that have never played one single down to get paid higher than any other player to have ever played the game of that same position.

How can this be??

Let me repeat that again, A player who has never played one single professional down, can get offered a contract more than any other player of that position in the entire history of the game.

That makes no sense.

They do have to have a rookie cap of some sort. It's just ridiculous.

Trading Peters Will be tough to do. I am pretty sure that Philadelphia wouldn't give up both of their #1 picks. His value is not as high as you think, for the simple fact of the money that he is demanding. I just can't see Philadelphia trading both their #1 picks and then giving him a $12Million dollar a year contract. I just don't see it.

Philly has an insane number of picks:

RD1 - 21

RD1- 28

RD2- 53

RD3- 85

RD4- 117

RD5- 133, 145, 149

RD6- 181

RD7- 213

I'd trade Peters to Philly for their RD1-21, RD2-53, RD4-117 and RD5-133. We'll bring in two good players in each of our need positions DE, TE, OG, FS--plus one at ILB and DT:

11-Trade Up To Pick 5 for Jason Smith OT Baylor

21-Trade Up To Pick 5 for Jason Smith OT Baylor

42-Connor Barwin DE Cincinnati

53-Duke Robinson OG Oklahoma

75-James Casey TE Rice or Coffman (I think 1 will be there; GBay takes the other one)

106- Derek Pegues FS Mississippi St

117-Cornelius Ingram TE Florida

133-Jason Phillips ILB TCU

139-Vance Walker DT43 Georgia Tech

145-Matt Shaughnessy DE43 Wisconsin

170-Chris Clemons FS Clemson

202-Andy Kemp OG Wisconsin

It's not an ego thing.

Remember, It's his super high powered Agent that is advising him, insuring him, telling him what he believes is best for Jason Peters.

Whether you guyz like it or not, he has made two probowls and two second team All Pro's in his first two years. He is young, and they want him to get paid more than Jake Long or Jordan Gross who havn't accomplished as much in their careers.

It is a matter of respect, not ego. The agent is pushing for this deal, as a good agent should do. They do have a strong argument.

I just don't understand why people don't see this.

You don't understand why an undrafted free agent shouldn't be paid like a #1 overall pick? You don't understand that rookie contracts for top ten picks are way out of wack? You don't understand that this contract would pay him more than the second highest paid lineman in the league, Alan Faneca? You don't understand that he gave up 11.5 sacks last year and proved that he's not a very good teammate and certainly not an "elite" tackle in this league???

What don't you understand, exactly???

You keep comparing him to the overpaid Long. Great. What about Ryan Clady? He's signed a six-year, $14.75M contract

He deserves Gross money, that's just what the market dictates right now.

Long doesn't deserve Long money, the NFL REALLY needs to nip these oversized rookie contracts in the bud, it's throwing off the market, forcing teams to not want a top 10 pick, and the only ones who benefit are the few players and their agents. Rookies should never be the highest paid player on the team.

I agree, these rookie contracts are rediculous but either way... we need to keep peters.

You don't understand why an undrafted free agent shouldn't be paid like a #1 overall pick? You don't understand that rookie contracts for top ten picks are way out of wack? You don't understand that this contract would pay him more than the second highest paid lineman in the league, Alan Faneca? You don't understand that he gave up 11.5 sacks last year and proved that he's not a very good teammate and certainly not an "elite" tackle in this league???

What don't you understand, exactly???

You keep comparing him to the overpaid Long. Great. What about Ryan Clady? He's signed a six-year, $14.75M contract

No disrespect Hocknod, now your talking irrationaly. If you don't see my point, then there is no need to go any further. I have explained my view at least a half a dozen times, and I'm obviously not communicating effectively with you. I feel as if I have made my point. Some see it, some don't like yourself, so there we are.

Astrobot, if we had to go the trading route, just for fun, and lets say that they traded their 1st 2nd 4th and 5th.

I'd much rather draft Pettigrew at the #11 and role the dice with Bretton at the #21 spot. Then Duke Robinson with our second round pick and hopefully Sidbury with their 2nd round pick. What thinks you?

No disrespect Hocknod, now your talking irrationaly. If you don't see my point, then there is no need to go any further. I have explained my view at least a half a dozen times, and I'm obviously not communicating effectively with you. I feel as if I have made my point. Some see it, some don't like yourself, so there we are.

I wasn't trying to be a dick, but you said you don't understand how people aren't "getting" it. You and a few others compare him to Jake Long - but what about all the other tackles in the league? So Jake Long - as the #1 overall pick - is extremely overpaid. Now every single LT contract should be reworked? Top ten picks are always overpaid. The new deal makes Peters the second highest paid lineman in all of football. If he doesn't like it then enjoy your time in Philly, I'm sure we'll be well compensated for him.

I would trade him to Philidephia for there 1st round pick (21st overall) and there third round pick. You can't sign him and he never finishes the season anyhow. Or plays in the Probowl. Then draft...

1st round. OT Andre Smith

1st round from Philidephia TE Bradon Pettigrew

2nd round best pass rusher available

3rd round best safety available

3rd from Phildelphia best player available.

Philly has an insane number of picks:

RD1 - 21

RD1- 28

RD2- 53

RD3- 85

RD4- 117

RD5- 133, 145, 149

RD6- 181

RD7- 213

I'd trade Peters to Philly for their RD1-21, RD2-53, RD4-117 and RD5-133. We'll bring in two good players in each of our need positions DE, TE, OG, FS--plus one at ILB and DT:

11-Trade Up To Pick 5 for Jason Smith OT Baylor

21-Trade Up To Pick 5 for Jason Smith OT Baylor

42-Connor Barwin DE Cincinnati

53-Duke Robinson OG Oklahoma

75-James Casey TE Rice or Coffman (I think 1 will be there; GBay takes the other one)

106- Derek Pegues FS Mississippi St

117-Cornelius Ingram TE Florida

133-Jason Phillips ILB TCU

139-Vance Walker DT43 Georgia Tech

145-Matt Shaughnessy DE43 Wisconsin

170-Chris Clemons FS Clemson

202-Andy Kemp OG Wisconsin

Peters isn't worth a 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th. Maybe a 1st and 2nd this year and a fifth next year, but not all four. Plus Philly has a lot of holes they need to fill as well, and I'd prefer we not draft a top five pick and end up paying him the same amount of money anyway. Peters is established and a known quantity. Jason Smith looks like he will be good but he hasn't played a down in the NFL and will be demanding about the same amount of money as Peters. Better to pay Peters whom we know is above average, than pay for an unknown quantity. Mike Williams was supposed to be the shizzle when he was playing OL for Texas, and we all know how overpaying him worked out for us, right?

Peters should get a paiy raise and probably deserves it more than many of the players on our team who have gotten them in recent years. I also think that seeing Dockery and Walker come in and start at a higher salary than what he was earning rubbed him the wrong way as well. Get him signed, but down mortgage the franchise to do it. A five mil per year on average increase is fine. Give him more guaranteed up front and in the first few years, then begin to taper it off in years four and five, and see where the team is at that time.

You can tell Buffalo has been losing a lot in recent years. How else can you explain the logic that trading Peters and drafting a replacement is a move that makes your team stronger? It makes no sense. We have possibly the premier left tackle in the league on our roster, and only QB is a more important offensive position. Let's pay the guy and win some games already. If we don't have Peters, we don't make the playoffs. It's plain and simple. If we had a solid o-line all the way across then perhaps we could consider this. But comon...he is the only player we have who can really dominate anyone who lines up against him. If we want to win and make the playoffs, we have to keep him. That's all there is to it.

Also, his grievance with his salary is justified. I think if the Bills at least acknowledge that and put forth a genuine effort to compensate him accordingly, he will be much more willing to compromise. If the Bills show they are willing to shoulder a good share of this risk in signing him, I think he will be willing to take a little less money. Offer him more guaranteed money and we can achieve a smaller bottom line. If the Bills get burnt by taking that risk, they won't be in any worse shape than they are right now in terms of winning games and making the playoffs. Let's roll the dice - its clear the Bills' ultra-conservative approach to filling a roster DOESN'T work.

thats great to hear, hopefully he can step in when TO leaves and provide the same impact

We are really discussing amounts of his contract in the other thread, the $3M apart one. So however rare it is for me to play the redundancy card, this is the right time.