Maybin reminds Mel Kiper of Suggs

By the way, because of this thread I went looking for Maybin video on Youtube. There's about one minute of bad highlights for Maybin there although I remember seeing a decent package there before. In fact when you type his name in the search field, nothing drops down.

Can anyone help me out on this? I'd like to take another look. I wasn't too impressed the first time I saw video of him.

Was just watching ESPN cold hard facts where Kiper was being asked who certain players in the 2009 draft remind him of regarding current NFL players when they were first coming out of the draft. I don't know too much about Maybin, but if Kiper turns out to be right, I would love another Penn Stater on our defense.

If Raji magically last till the 11th pick, I would eat a whole onion & not cry afterwards. :cry::huh::lol:

With his speed and power, he reminds me of a young Jason Taylor.

We better nab Maybin then because lord knows how great PSU been turning out defenders like LaVar Arrington, Courtney Brown, Michael Haynes and Poz (one could argue that we should have stayed put and taken David Harris instead). In terms of Raji, I doubt we'd take him if was available as it seems like the current regime seems to prefer taking needs then BPA in Round 1.

I hear you about needs over BPA, but DT really is a current Bills need.

If we ran a 3-4 id be all over this guy. But i dont think he is big enough to be a 4-3 end. I think we need to stay away from these tweeners. I heard an interview with him and he is trying to be able to play both. I think we need a true 4-3 end who can get to the qb in addition to a true playmaking olb.

3 - 4 ends need to be BIGGER than 4 - 3 ends, not smaller. Those tweeners play at OLB in a 3 - 4. And has been said again and again, lots of 4 - 3 DEs play at about 240, including Schobel throughout his career and many others.

Kiper is a dolt :huh:

Maybin had one good year at Penn st and since the end of the season he gained 15 lbs, went from 234 to 249. At the combine he looked terribad and in the 3 cone drill he stunk the place up and lost that burst first step.

If you go only by his collage film he looks really good,if you go by the combine he has complete bust written all over him.Dunno how he is still ranked at the top 10 spot by Kiper.

The combine is about 10% as important as college film.

Maybin is widely acknowledged to have the fastest first step of all the DEs this year.

Mayock and Kiper are equally good, which is to say they know a lot about the college players, but largely can't predict which teams will pick them. But nobody is good at that, being good is impossible. The reason Mayock is loved on these boards is because he lucked into making a couple of good calls on Bills draft picks. Looking at his record through the NFL, he is about equal to Kiper.

The argument is ridiculous. NOBODY can accurately predict what human beings will do in the future. We are all too eccentric and individualistic and basically wacked out.

He`s slow and STIFF with a high motor ..Duh where have I heard that before. Just say NO.

A smaller Kelsey!? For once I want them to draft a guy who doesn't rely on a high motor to make plays - I want a guy who isn't a one trick pony. Imagine having a guy who had the quick first step to get around some one and still be able to bull-rush if he needed to.

We better nab Maybin then because lord knows how great PSU been turning out defenders like LaVar Arrington, Courtney Brown, Michael Haynes and Poz (one could argue that we should have stayed put and taken David Harris instead). In terms of Raji, I doubt we'd take him if was available as it seems like the current regime seems to prefer taking needs then BPA in Round 1.

I totally agree with you, Penn State players rarely translate to the NFL besides the ones you named Going back to 87. That year they had 2 picks go in the first round Conlan who was good and DJ Dozier who wasnt. They didnt have a single player go in the first round again till 1990 when the Jets took Blair Thomas 2nd overall and he is an all time flop. In 93 the Dollphins took OJ McDuffie in the first to continue the Flop streak. In 95 they had three players go in the top ten of the draft, Kyle Brady, Kerry Collins, and KiJana Carter while Brady and Collins have had long careers they are both flops especially to the teams that took them, and Carter I am not sure he ever even played(due to injury so flop, flop, flop). In 96 they had two go in the first Jeff Hartings hit and Andre Johnson flop(also noteably that year Bobby Engram went in the second round so that could be a hit I guess). In 98 the Bears took Curtis Enis in the first (big Flop). Then in 2000 as you pointed out Courtney Brown and Lavar Arrington both Flops. In 2003 they had 4 players go in the first round. Jimmy Kennedy (flop), Bryant Johnson (flop),Michael Haynes(Flop), and Larry Johnson hit, in 2006 Tambi Hali still is a question mark good first year not so hot since, and Levi Brown who is looking better.

I totally agree with you, Penn State players rarely translate to the NFL besides the ones you named Going back to 87. That year they had 2 picks go in the first round Conlan who was good and DJ Dozier who wasnt. They didnt have a single player go in the first round again till 1990 when the Jets took Blair Thomas 2nd overall and he is an all time flop. In 93 the Dollphins took OJ McDuffie in the first to continue the Flop streak. In 95 they had three players go in the top ten of the draft, Kyle Brady, Kerry Collins, and KiJana Carter while Brady and Collins have had long careers they are both flops especially to the teams that took them, and Carter I am not sure he ever even played(due to injury so flop, flop, flop). In 96 they had two go in the first Jeff Hartings hit and Andre Johnson flop(also noteably that year Bobby Engram went in the second round so that could be a hit I guess). In 98 the Bears took Curtis Enis in the first (big Flop). Then in 2000 as you pointed out Courtney Brown and Lavar Arrington both Flops. In 2003 they had 4 players go in the first round. Jimmy Kennedy (flop), Bryant Johnson (flop),Michael Haynes(Flop), and Larry Johnson hit, in 2006 Tambi Hali still is a question mark good first year not so hot since, and Levi Brown who is looking better.

Wow. Totally impressed with your research department (you). Thanks for all the interesting information.

I try not to judge players by where they played college but wow, that's a lot of evidence. I wonder how Penn State players have done generally.

Wow. Totally impressed with your research department (you). Thanks for all the interesting information.

I try not to judge players by where they played college but wow, that's a lot of evidence. I wonder how Penn State players have done generally.

in general, they suck

the Big 10 is vastly overrated

the players are slow compared to the power conferences - thus their "stars" put up good stats against inferior competition.

Those "stars" are exposed when they get to the NFL

Maybin should have a great 1st step since he played at 237. That's like blitzing the SS and being amazed by the way he got around the OT.

Too bad teams don;t pass on every down - then the inability to stop the run wouldn't be an issue

Man their all just about a roster of disasters. Ive seen the Everette Brown youtube reel and he looks good to me but then again you have all those FSU DE busts. Arakpo got manhandled by Pettigrew and I saw his youtube reel and a lot of his sacks looked like missed blocking assignments by weaker competition. Pettigrew has speed issues and for the most part 11 is too high for him. Cushing has injury concerns, Malalauga has questions about his coverage. Dont get a great vibe on all these guys mock drafts have us taking.

The combine is about 10% as important as college film.

Maybin is widely acknowledged to have the fastest first step of all the DEs this year.

Mayock and Kiper are equally good, which is to say they know a lot about the college players, but largely can't predict which teams will pick them. But nobody is good at that, being good is impossible. The reason Mayock is loved on these boards is because he lucked into making a couple of good calls on Bills draft picks. Looking at his record through the NFL, he is about equal to Kiper.

The argument is ridiculous. NOBODY can accurately predict what human beings will do in the future. We are all too eccentric and individualistic and basically wacked out.

"Maybin is widely acknowledged to have the fastest first step of all the DEs this year".That was pre combine,he looked slow and ran a slower 40 then expected.

How in the world can you say the combine is only 10%? The combine is really nothing more then a job interview. This is the most important step for their future job in the NFL. They need to come in prepared to show what they can do.The majority of smart players have personnel trainers or go to camps to get into the best shape of their lives.

If a player comes in to the combine overweight and out of shape it sends up red flags to everyone. If they preform very poorly it also sends up red flags as to why they performed that way. Do they have an injury,just lazy and don't care.

When a player like Maybin has had only one good year in collage,he could be termed a "one year wonder" or he could have just been giving a better effort his senior year to get paid.He came into the combine 15 lbs heavier and had lost that burst step he showed at Penn St. He did very very poorly in the 3 cone drill and his performance overall was very poor.

Now if you go to a job interview dressed like a slob and don't really seem interested in the job your applying for,what does that tell your prospective employer?

Maybins performance at the combine WILL send red flags to the real scouts and teams, that should change his position in the draft,it just remains to be seen where he ends up in the draft and how he preforms once drafted.

Kiper never played in the NFL,he was never a scout in the NFL. His claim to fame was that he watched a ton of collage football and would attend games and converse with scouts. I believe he gets most of his information from other sources rather then his own critique.He has some credibility in what he says, its just that he gets caught up in these personal vendettas when someone likes a player he doesn't like or vice versa.

The guy has made tons of horrific blunders that everyone seems to forget. He openly stated that Ryan Leaf and his behavior / attitude in collage would help him in the pro's and that he was as good as Payton Manning, had better natural physical tools then Manning and would be a great QB. I suppose nobody brings this up because Ryan Leaf fooled most everyone.

In 2005 Kiper stated that USC receiver Mike Williams was the best player in the draft,when someone else stated that he wasn't the best. Kiper declared that he would see the guy at Williams NFL HoF induction ceremony...guess not.

I consider KIJana Carter, given his college career and the expectations, as the all time draft flop.

I consider KIJana Carter, given his college career and the expectations, as the all time draft flop.

all time flops have to do it based on performance on the field

Carter blew out his knee -so he really did not have a chance to show if he sucked on the field.

Ryan Leaf has to be considered based on what they gave up to draft him and where he was selected.