Is this a reason to lose the Electoral College?

This is just a hypothetical, and I don't even know what I think about it, but what if this happens. It is posssible.

There is a way, a possible way, that the election could turn up tied at 269-269. Many pundits have pointed it out. It's a longshot, but possible. There was a rumor that I saw last night about a Mayor in West Virginia (South Charleston?) that is a Bush delegate to the Electoral College (if he wins in WV, which he will) that says he hasn't decided for sure that he would vote for Bush, and doesn't have to if he doesn't want. I don't know if the rumor was true, I think I saw Willie Brown mention it and the only place I saw it with a short google was from the friggin' Guardian. But regardless, a delegate seemingly could easily be swayed to not vote for either Bush or Kerry and turn ther election by him or herself. Talk about a scandal.

Would that be enough to get rid of the Electoral College, wether it sways the election toward Bush OR toward Kerry?

The really interesting (and indeed bad) thing about this, is kerry could win the popular vote AND the electoral college, yet lose the election.

This woudl be bad news for the country. If this happens, I indeed hope bush conceeds to the will of the people and steps down. (and I voted for him)

This is just a hypothetical, and I don't even know what I think about it, but what if this happens. It is posssible.

There is a way, a possible way, that the election could turn up tied at 269-269. Many pundits have pointed it out. It's a longshot, but possible. There was a rumor that I saw last night about a Mayor in West Virginia (South Charleston?) that is a Bush delegate to the Electoral College (if he wins in WV, which he will) that says he hasn't decided for sure that he would vote for Bush, and doesn't have to if he doesn't want. I don't know if the rumor was true, I think I saw Willie Brown mention it and the only place I saw it with a short google was from the friggin' Guardian. But regardless, a delegate seemingly could easily be swayed to not vote for either Bush or Kerry and turn ther election by him or herself. Talk about a scandal.

Would that be enough to get rid of the Electoral College, wether it sways the election toward Bush OR toward Kerry?

96905[/snapback]

Nah. Plus I think it would be cool.

96905[/snapback]

evaluate the way the EC operates: perhaps.

get rid of it: no.

Good answer. I think these people should be bound to the votes.

96990[/snapback]

I disagree. The whole nature of the EC is to emphasize the power of individual states. If one state says you're committed to your guy, and another allows change, then so be it. If a situation leads a state to reevaluate its procedures, then fine. There should be no top down revamping.

Would I think the guy changing his vote to be a dirt bag? Yes. Guess what, we'll never rid the world of dirt bags or people looking for their 15 minutes regardless of method..

Would I think the guy changing his vote to be a dirt bag?  Yes.  Guess what, we'll never rid the world of dirt bags or people looking for their 15 minutes regardless of method..

97064[/snapback]

Somehow I don't think that guy would last the full 15 minutes alive....

I disagree.  The whole nature of the EC is to emphasize the power of individual states.  If one state says you're committed to your guy, and another allows change, then so be it.  If a situation leads a state to reevaluate its procedures, then fine.  There should be no top down revamping.

Would I think the guy changing his vote to be a dirt bag?  Yes.  Guess what, we'll never rid the world of dirt bags or people looking for their 15 minutes regardless of method..

97064[/snapback]

I understand that. But something would need to be done though. Think of the outrage over this incident, and then think of all the pressure put on these people from whichever side got screwed to have electors in the next election switching their votes. It would disintegrate soon, IMO.

Aren't you in the intellectual Property biz? If you are, Jeff Greenfield's folks may be calling you.

Could Happen?

96905[/snapback]