Shawn Springs provides plan to cover T.O.

I really think the Springs signing coincides at least partially with T.O to Buffalo.

Shawn Springs provides plan to cover T.O.

Tim MacMahon

Redskins CB Shawn Springs, who roughed up T.O. during the first half of the Cowboys' loss to Washington, explained in Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback how defenses should handle the Original 81.

"I've checked T.O. so many times over the years, and I've learned a lot. Once he gets his speed up, he's very hard to stop. But he's not as explosive coming off the line as some other guys are. He doesn't think anyone can cover him one-on-one, but in our game-planning last week, [defensive coordinator Greg] Blache said, 'We ain't gonna double T.O.' He was giving him to me, one-on-one. He told me, 'I need you this week. We're gonna load up the box [to stop the run], and you got T.O.'

"I loved it. The little waterbug receivers, I can't stay with them. My game is the bigger guys. With T.O., you cannot let him free-release off the line. He will kill you if he gets off the line. Another thing is, you can't play a guy the same way every time. I might stab him one-handed with my inside hand, maybe come back with my other hand [in the five-yard bump zone]. I just try to jam him the first two or three yards. Sometimes he'll bull-rush me. Sometimes he'll try to get away from me. Whatever I do, I try to make some contact with him. That's important. Then I just run with him downfield. There's contact, but it's not interference, it's just two guys going to make a play. And the officials usually let us play.

"Most teams usually come into the game and say, 'We're not gonna let T.O. beat us,' and they do whatever they have to do to try to stop him. But Dallas has so many other ways to beat you. The way to play them is to try to put one guy on T.O., be a little physical, and try to neutralize him.''

Despite T.O.'s size and strength, he struggles to get off the line of scrimmage against press coverage. It's on Jason Garrett to figure out ways to help T.O. A hint: It's hard to jam a guy after he goes in motion.

I really think the Springs signing coincides at least partially with T.O to Buffalo.

I like where Springs says, "I can't cover those little waterbug receivers." We have one of them, and we'll be lining him up right next to TO.

Someone should tell Springs that in a game against them last year, T.O. had 7 rec for 71 yards and a TD.

They should also tell Springs that the year before that, in a game he had 8 rec, 173 yards 4 tds.

And the year before that, in a game against them, he had 7 rec, 76 yards 1 td.

If that's his idea of neutralizing Owens, sign me up.

Someone should tell Springs that in a game against them last year, T.O. had 7 rec for 71 yards and a TD.

They should also tell Springs that the year before that, in a game he had 8 rec, 173 yards 4 tds.

Nice stats. :lol:

But wait, let me guess. Springs only covered TO for the plays in which he didn't catch a pass. :P

Actually, holding TO under 100 yards, using single coverage (if that's what they did), is nothing to sneeze at. The question, of course, is how did the other Dallas players do, in those games.

Springs is right about TO not being explosive off the line, if he is getting physical resistance. (I think he used to be better, at this.) But, still, you usually need some help, to keep him from bouncing off the hit, and taking it the other way.

Actually, holding TO under 100 yards, using single coverage (if that's what they did), is nothing to sneeze at. The question, of course, is how did the other Dallas players do, in those games.

So Springs is crowing that he held TO to less than 100 yards receiving? :P

And in last year's game, Witten caught 7 passes for 90 yards and a TD and Crayton caught 7 passes for 87 yards. Hardly a dominating performance by the Redskins' secondary any way you look at it.

Springs is right about TO not being explosive off the line, if he is getting physical resistance. (I think he used to be better, at this.) But, still, you usually need some help, to keep him from bouncing off the hit, and taking it the other way.

Put TO in motion.

So Springs is crowing that he held TO to less than 100 yards receiving? :P

If you do it by yourself (truly single coverage) and then the rest of the DBs shut down the other guys, yes, that (70-some yards, 1 TD) is something to crow about. Covering any WR with true single-coverage, is hard enough...when that player has the skills of TO, it's insane.

Truthfully, though, I doubt he really had true single-coverage on TO, the whole game. But, if he did, those aren't bad numbers, at all.

If you do it by yourself (truly single coverage) and then the rest of the DBs shut down the other guys, yes, that (70-some yards, 1 TD) is something to crow about. Covering any WR with true single-coverage, is hard enough...when that player has the skills of TO, it's insane.

Truthfully, though, I doubt he really had true single-coverage on TO, the whole game. But, if he did, those aren't bad numbers, at all.

Taking 7 catches for 71 yards and a TD and working-it-out to a full season, that's 1136 yards and 16 TD's. If that's single-coverage, it's horrible. Especially considering the other WR's accounted for 21 catches and 229 yards in that game.

Taking 7 catches for 71 yards and a TD and working-it-out to a full season, that's 1136 yards and 16 TD's. If that's single-coverage, it's horrible. Especially considering the other WR's accounted for 21 catches and 229 yards in that game.

If that's single coverage, he has nothing to do with what the other WRs did. I'd call it a bad game plan, if it didn't work.

1136 yards, over a season, is very good for true single coverage, seeing as how Ownens gets that with anyway, with multiple coverages. If you can hold a guy to his usual output, with only one guy (and he usually goes against more) than that one guy did a good job.

BTW, I'm not defending Springs here, because I doubt he really had true single coverage on Owens for the entire game. But, if you can hold a WR to his 70 yards, and NOT use a safety or 2nd CB, have to design coverages that use LBs, etc, then you have freed those guys up to make plays on the other WRs and RBs. Pretty simple math, actually.

If that's single coverage, he has nothing to do with what the other WRs did. I'd call it a bad game plan, if it didn't work.

1136 yards, over a season, is very good for true single coverage, seeing as how Ownens gets that with anyway, with multiple coverages. If you can hold a guy to his usual output, with only one guy (and he usually goes against more) than that one guy did a good job.

BTW, I'm not defending Springs here, because I doubt he really had true single coverage on Owens for the entire game. But, if you can hold a WR to his 70 yards, and NOT use a safety or 2nd CB, have to design coverages that use LBs, etc, then you have freed those guys up to make plays on the other WRs and RBs. Pretty simple math, actually.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I just don't view allowing a WR to catch 7 passes for ANY amount of yardage, much less a TD, as a good game.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I just don't view allowing a WR to catch 7 passes for ANY amount of yardage, much less a TD, as a good game.

OK. I think you should try to play CB sometime, though.

When Springs says single coverage, I'm not sure he's talking about the pure single coverage you're talking about, Dean. I think he just means non-double coverage, i.e. a single corner on TO with safety help over the top, but that safety pays no special attention to TO that he wouldn't give to any other reciever. Could be wrong.

When Springs says single coverage, I'm not sure he's talking about the pure single coverage you're talking about, Dean. I think he just means non-double coverage, i.e. a single corner on TO with safety help over the top, but that safety pays no special attention to TO that he wouldn't give to any other reciever. Could be wrong.

That's my take, as well:

BTW, I'm not defending Springs here, because I doubt he really had true single coverage on Owens for the entire game.

But, I'm saying, if he did have true single coverage, the entire game, then he did the job of two-to-three players, by himself. BTW, I'm thinking that when they played Dallas, the Safeties gave a lot more attention to Owen's side, even if Springs wants to call it single coverage.

Springs did a really good job at covering TO when he was on the field. In the game last year where the skins won, TO was held to only 3 rec i think and no tds in the first half. but springs didn't come back in the 2nd half, and that is when TO got like 10 catches + points

Springs did a really good job at covering TO when he was on the field. In the game last year where the skins won, TO was held to only 3 rec i think and no tds in the first half. but springs didn't come back in the 2nd half, and that is when TO got like 10 catches + points

Springs was in the game for 6 of TO's 7 catches and his TD.