Magox

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmmmkay. :blink:

I have to agree with you cablegal

I watched Trent closely last year, his timing was off on the deeper routes. He would wait for a receiver to be open rather than throwing it to the open spot as the receiver made his break.

Generally, there aren't a lot of times where a receiver will be downfield and open for a couple seconds. There is usually a small window when the receiver makes his break where a QB can get the ball there before the CB and/or safety recover.

Trent appears more comfortable checking down to the receiver who is camped out underneith than hitting Lee and other outside receivers downfield on the run.

According to Matt Bowen (a former Bills player) whose article someone else posted he says this about Edwards, "Edwards is a guy who struggles reading the whole field when it comes to coverage. T.O. is going to demand that Edwards progress and look to both sides of the field, and now that he has another weapon on the outside, he will. Edwards will become a more polished quarterback and learn to take some chances down the field with two guys who can flat-out get the football when it’s in the air. "

Trent will need to get better, or T.O. will have him for lunch.

Great Edwards video on the bills website with Chris Brown posted today. He has really matured...

Linky

I don't know if his maturity has ever been questioned but I do agree, he seems a little different, more mature. It's almost like he turned a switch on. Year 1 he was just excited to be playing and was learning as much as he could. Year 2 he had some success, was featured on NFL countdown, PTI etc. and then hit the wall of 3-4 defenses that shut him down. Year 3 will define him moving forward. T.O. will help in that process while Trent's maturity, confidence and ability could propel him forward. Can't wait to watch!

Are you saying our pre Owens receivers and TE's did get open?

I am. I was at the Clowns game and there were receivers open all night long. I saw guys open in the endzone. Steve Johnson open 20 yards downfield uncovered and Trent kept throwing to ML and Fred often 5 yards BEHIND the line of scrimmage. I heard announcers all season long saying guys were open. I read posts by people at other games like the first Patsies game saying receivers were open and Trent wasn't finding them. Hopefully Van Pelt can get this straightened out this offseason or it won't matter if we have Jerry Rice, Bob Hayes, and Steve Largent out there along with TO.

And of sign of basic QB intelligence, knowing when to get rid of the ball and avoid the 10 yard sack w/ fumble or intercepted deep pass to a triple-covered Evans.

And for long periods of last season, they were also symptoms of a QB with happy feet and fear of sacks even when no defender was even near him.

Over and over, listening to the radio, Kelso said "He didn't see Reed," or "Royal was open," and so on, on and on.

He'll certainly benefit from better recieving talent and from Reed playing at his best position, but a great deal of the offense's problems last year came from Trent himself. He needs to continue developing and as a young player, there's a decent chance that he can do that.

And for long periods of last season, they were also symptoms of a QB with happy feet and fear of sacks even when no defender was even near him.

Over and over, listening to the radio, Kelso said "He didn't see Reed," or "Royal was open," and so on, on and on.

He'll certainly benefit from better recieving talent and from Reed playing at his best position, but a great deal of the offense's problems last year came from Trent himself. He needs to continue developing and as a young player, there's a decent chance that he can do that.

You mean like when Trent fumbled the ball to give the Jets the victory. That Trent he is so stupid.

Kind of like the Cleveland game where guys were running open down the field frequently and Trent kept throwing it to Marshawn at the LOS and after the game told reporters that he was confused by the Cleveland defense and that they had not prepared for the coverage?

I know you mean to criticize Trent, but it almost seems like you're directing more of the blame at the coaching staff here? :blink: Look, no one here is denying that Trent played terribly against Cleveland. He had an abysmal 1st quarter and then played scared for the rest of that game.

But don't you find it curious how last season Trent was 7-0 against 4-3 defenses and 0-5.5 against 3-4 defenses (counting the SF game as half of a loss)? Don't you also find it strange how the Bills cut their starting LG, cut their starting TE, refused to re-sign either C, and were heavily pursuing a veteran #2 WR culminating in the T.O. blockbuster acquisition? Something tells me that the overall offense can't match up well against defenses with a big NT and versatile OLB's, and that the Buffalo front office believes the problem goes well beyond the timid tendencies of an inexperienced 2nd year QB.

As for JP, he's been in the league for 5 years. Take away his scripted first drives in the second half of 2006 and the occasional bombs to Evans, and he has shown nothing. He's nothing more than a gunslinging dumb jock QB, and the days of gunslinging dumb jock QB's successfully directing pro offenses ended once Bellysick and the salary cap arrived. Still waiting on any of the 31 other teams to give JP a second chance....

Trent's frequent check downs are a symptom of no one being open.

Exactly... Evans gets all the attention, double covered all day. Roscoe gets jammed at the line and can't get back into his route fast enough. Hardy was a rookie and kind of sucks. Reed always runs short routes, 15 yards and under ,and since the other teams defense always stacks the box against us his routes are always cluttered with defensive players. Jackson started to look decent at the end of the year though.

I know you mean to criticize Trent, but it almost seems like you're directing more of the blame at the coaching staff here? :blink: Look, no one here is denying that Trent played terribly against Cleveland. He had an abysmal 1st quarter and then played scared for the rest of that game.

But don't you find it curious how last season Trent was 7-0 against 4-3 defenses and 0-5.5 against 3-4 defenses (counting the SF game as half of a loss)? Don't you also find it strange how the Bills cut their starting LG, cut their starting TE, refused to re-sign either C, and were heavily pursuing a veteran #2 WR culminating in the T.O. blockbuster acquisition? Something tells me that the overall offense can't match up well against defenses with a big NT and versatile OLB's, and that the Buffalo front office believes the problem goes well beyond the timid tendencies of an inexperienced 2nd year QB.

As for JP, he's been in the league for 5 years. Take away his scripted first drives in the second half of 2006 and the occasional bombs to Evans, and he has shown nothing. He's nothing more than a gunslinging dumb jock QB, and the days of gunslinging dumb jock QB's successfully directing pro offenses ended once Bellysick and the salary cap arrived. Still waiting on any of the 31 other teams to give JP a second chance....

Good post.

Losman may be out of the NFL this year, waiting on a calamity of QB injuries.

Too bad they didn't cut to Mort at that point. Was it really all Ralph, Mort? Where'd you get that insider info?

What's the issue? Ralph has final say on everything as Owner, President, and part of the GM hydra. Do you think Ralph did not have a huge say and the final decision in a signing of the magnitude of a Terrell Owens?!? :blink:

What's the issue? Ralph has final say on everything as Owner, President, and part of the GM hydra. Do you think Ralph did not have a huge say and the final decision in a signing of the magnitude of a Terrell Owens?!? :lol:

No, it was all Trent :blink:

Great Edwards video on the bills website with Chris Brown posted today. He has really matured...

Linky

I just hope he shows some heart this year. Having the sack to ask for T.O. to be on the team is a good start.

Last year, I never saw a QB show less heart after getting a concussion than Edwards, which really disappointed me because to that point, I was firmly in his camp as a franchise QB for the Bills.

At this point, based on his reaction to getting a concussion last year and then going all timid on the team and on the field , I view him as a stop gap only to the next QB we draft.

I hope he proves me wrong.

I just hope he shows some heart this year. Having the sack to ask for T.O. to be on the team is a good start.

Last year, I never saw a QB show less heart after getting a concussion than Edwards, which really disappointed me because to that point, I was firmly in his camp as a franchise QB for the Bills.

At this point, based on his reaction to getting a concussion last year and then going all timid on the team and on the field , I view him as a stop gap only to the next QB we draft.

I hope he proves me wrong.

ya your right,

he did show no heart in the KC game when he dove in for TD, head first at the end of the half.