Rosenhaus...

Buftex

Yes, I did. I find that well thought out posts here illicit zero response! :thumbsup:

And I know you are being flipant, but you know as well as anyone, there have been vetrans of Owens' stature who have taken less to play in cities that gave them a better chance to win.

Let me explain, if you haven't seen the video (sorry no link). You get the sense that Rosenhaus (and by extension TO), really didn't have any criteria for choosing a team, other than money. Rosenhaus keeps cutting off Ley, when he asked anything specific about Owens' departure from Dallas, saying things like "the bottom line, and the most important thing, is that TO is making about 650,000 more than he would have made in Dallas this year". He actually put a price tag on it. He also referenced that "TO has been through some difficult situations, and is landing on his feet" or some bs like that. It is like the agent, can't acknowledge that Owens is as much to blame for his predicament as anyone. There wasn't even the generic "TO just wants to win football games, and we felt that Buffalo was the best place for him to do that." It was all about how TO was wronged, but the laugh is on everyone else, because he found a job making more money in two days."

For everyone who keeps saying the fact that this is a one year deal is a good thing, there is the other side of that. I don't get the feeling that Owens has any intention of staying in Buffalo longer than one season, wanted or not. During his press conference, Owens seemed scripted as to what to say, specifically, about the Bills, like he had never given them a serious thought.

Saying that a 36yr old WR would trade a long-term deal for $800k in 2009 is obviously Agent spin. I'm not sure why this is so bothersome.

I really thinking you're taking the Buffalo inferiority complex to a new level here. I don't know what FA's who sign with the Jets say in their pressers, but I don't think many of them are well versed in the history of Shea Stadium, Joe Namath, and all the stuff that the fans would eat up.

I wasn't all that crazy about Coles either. And I don't even care that he came here for the money. I just find the brazen, crass attitude of the agent to be somewhat tasteless. Unfortunately, it is just a sign that not much will change...

But, people seem to all of the sudden have forgotten that Owens has been bad news with every team he has ever been with. He is talented, I am not denying it. But, this franchise will now be taking a back seat to the impulses of their diva wide receiver. And in the end, I am not sold that this gamble gets this team any closer to a the playoffs (not even mentioning the Super Bowl) than Drew Bledsoe did.

You need to separate the agent from the player. Rosenhaus' life is about getting clients and making those clients money, so he in turn makes money. For him, this was an opportunity to proclaim "hey, Jerry Jones did TO a favor because he's making more money than he would have!" Now TO OTOH is the guy who has to play, and live for awhile, in Buffalo. Yet from what I've observed, Owens' interviews have revealed a guy who seems to really want to be here. I didn't hear him once mention the (more) money, just what he'll bring to the table and how he'll help the team.

The part about the interview that was kind of telling, was when Rosenhaus said Roscoe Parish was one of our good young recievers. Not sure he did a lot of homework on that one. Its always about the money. I think this is a win/win if the Bills make the playoffs and TO helps with that. So who cares about Rosenhaus.

Yes, I did. I find that well thought out posts here illicit zero response! :thumbsup:

And I know you are being flipant, but you know as well as anyone, there have been vetrans of Owens' stature who have taken less to play in cities that gave them a better chance to win.

Let me explain, if you haven't seen the video (sorry no link). You get the sense that Rosenhaus (and by extension TO), really didn't have any criteria for choosing a team, other than money. Rosenhaus keeps cutting off Ley, when he asked anything specific about Owens' departure from Dallas, saying things like "the bottom line, and the most important thing, is that TO is making about 650,000 more than he would have made in Dallas this year". He actually put a price tag on it. He also referenced that "TO has been through some difficult situations, and is landing on his feet" or some bs like that. It is like the agent, can't acknowledge that Owens is as much to blame for his predicament as anyone. There wasn't even the generic "TO just wants to win football games, and we felt that Buffalo was the best place for him to do that." It was all about how TO was wronged, but the laugh is on everyone else, because he found a job making more money in two days."

For everyone who keeps saying the fact that this is a one year deal is a good thing, there is the other side of that. I don't get the feeling that Owens has any intention of staying in Buffalo longer than one season, wanted or not. During his press conference, Owens seemed scripted as to what to say, specifically, about the Bills, like he had never given them a serious thought.

Scripted or not, Owens did say one very smart thing: Nobody expected the Cardinals to be in the Super Bowl this past season. I'm not saying the Bills will be the 2009 surprise SB team, by any stretch of my imagination. But every year is a crap shoot, and that makes every "5 year deal" more like a "one year at a time up to 5 year deal". Just ask the other new Buffalo Bill, Drayton Florence, about his "5 or 6 year deal" he signed with Jacksonville right about this time last year!

So my somewhat long winded point is this: Owens was refreshingly honest in his press conference. He only cares about 2009, with the Buffalo Bills. When asked what "tipped the scales for Buffalo", he said...."nothing did." He even came right out and said, "it could have been the money, it could have been this or that..." He even played the "God has a plan for me" card. The bottom line is, OF COURSE IT WAS THE 6.5 MILLION DOLLARS FOR ONE YEAR. And what is wrong with that?? The man said he practices and playes just as hard no matter what jersey he is wearing. Let's see if he can make some plays THIS SEASON, while he's wearing a Bills jersey, and help this team win at least 8 or 9 games.

You need to separate the agent from the player. Rosenhaus' life is about getting clients and making those clients money, so he in turn makes money. For him, this was an opportunity to proclaim "hey, Jerry Jones did TO a favor because he's making more money than he would have!" Now TO OTOH is the guy who has to play, and live for awhile, in Buffalo. Yet from what I've observed, Owens' interviews have revealed a guy who seems to really want to be here. I didn't hear him once mention the (more) money, just what he'll bring to the table and how he'll help the team.

No, TO did mention the money when he was asked why he chose Buffalo. He said "it might have been the money, it may be some other things..."

Anyways, I guess I am not explaining myself well. I know it was about the money. It is just that the Bills seem to be an afterthought in this whole thing. I don't doubt that Owens will practice hard.

Well, we shall see. Personally, if the Bills were going to finally do something bold like this, I would have preferred a bold move like trying to pry Boldin away from the Cardinals. That would be something to build on. This thing just feels wrong... I am sure I will get over it.

I see Drew Rosenhaus on ESPN, being interviewed by Bob Ley... the guy is such a sleaze, he makes it pretty clear, from Owens side of things, this deal was all about the money. You get the feeling that Owens would have signed with whatever team was willing to sign him for the most dollars. Can't help but feel like the Bills are being a little used here....

TO is a merc Kelly........I think there is some mutal using going on here.

Bills are one of the few teams Rosenhaus has a good relationship with. What really helped is when Bills drafted an injured McGahee in the 1st round, which meant paying him #23 overall money. Even though he ultimately left on a somewhat sour note, it's all good between Rosenhaus and 1 Bills Drive.