Each AFC East Team has a distinct weakness

For the last week we've seen other AFCE teams adding players or in the case of NE, most likely getting their QB back into the fold. But no team in the AFC East is especially strong in their secondary. That's why I like the TO move even more.

New England has struggled since CB Asante Samuel departed for Philly and Rodney Harrison isn't coming back. They counted on a host of now unemployed DB's and it didn't work out as well. They're somewhat older in the front 7 and even though Belichick is a defensive whiz, he can't cover both Evans and Owens.

Miami signed Gibril Wilson, late of Oakland and was rumored to have said he was going to quit. Wilson is an instinctive safety, but I'm not sure their cornerbacks are the types who can keep an Evans/Owens combination.

The Jets have Darrelle Revis and Kerry Rhodes, but Lito Sheppard seems past his prime. They were poor against the pass last season, and unless they can pressure the QB that doesn't figure to improve.

I think Buffalo made the right move, as long as the pass protection holds up and Edwards improves in his second full season as starter.

The big problem that Buffalo presents opposing Ds with TO added in as another WR who demands a dt is what do you have to rush the passer after you do what is necessary to cover TO and Evans. If the Bills commit to 2 WRs and add Parrish to the mix, an opposing D at a minimum needs to use a dime defense if Evans and TO both credibly demand a dt and Parrish is dealt with one on one by your third CB. This set-up basically demands you to play a zone as by commiting 5 DBs to worry about the pass this leaves you with 6 defenders to prep for controlling a run by Lynch and/or rush the passer.

The Bills will face this with 5 OL players and a TE to face these 6 defenders and one has to like our odds if this is the base set-up.

For the last week we've seen other AFCE teams adding players or in the case of NE, most likely getting their QB back into the fold. But no team in the AFC East is especially strong in their secondary. That's why I like the TO move even more.

New England has struggled since CB Asante Samuel departed for Philly and Rodney Harrison isn't coming back. They counted on a host of now unemployed DB's and it didn't work out as well. They're somewhat older in the front 7 and even though Belichick is a defensive whiz, he can't cover both Evans and Owens.

Miami signed Gibril Wilson, late of Oakland and was rumored to have said he was going to quit. Wilson is an instinctive safety, but I'm not sure their cornerbacks are the types who can keep an Evans/Owens combination.

The Jets have Darrelle Revis and Kerry Rhodes, but Lito Sheppard seems past his prime. They were poor against the pass last season, and unless they can pressure the QB that doesn't figure to improve.

I think Buffalo made the right move, as long as the pass protection holds up and Edwards improves in his second full season as starter.

Those aspects are key. Having a #1 WR is great, but if they can't get him the d*** ball, it won't matter.

Those aspects are key. Having a #1 WR is great, but if they can't get him the d*** ball, it won't matter.

I would think they'll turn their attention to finding that elusive LG. Then again, I figured they wouldn't pursue Terrell Owens.

Everything still begins with the offensive line clearing running lanes and providing pass protection. I believe Edwards can make the throws as long as he's got some time. The offense should be fun to watch for the first time in about 7 years.

It doesn't matter. NE's front 7 continue to get pressure making the job of the DB's easy. That's why it doesn't matter who we have in our secondary since we can never mount a pass rush. Not sure how they're getting "older" - I mean, everyone ages. Seymour is 29, Warren is 28, Wilfork is 27, Thomas is 31, Mayo is 23. They'll replace the 34 year old Vrabel with a guy in his 20's (barring the signing of Jason Taylor). Bruschi (35) maybe plays for one more year. The secondary - aside from Shawn Springs - is very young (Hobbs is 25, Meriweather is 24, Sanders is 25, Wilhite is 24). If anything they're getting younger.

Lito Sheppard is 27. How is he past his "prime," exactly?? The Jets defense - led by Rex Ryan - might be sick next year. Revis and Sheppard might be the best CB tandem in the league (outside of Philly), and Rhodes is very, very good. Leonhard has proven he's a serviceable starting SS too.

It doesn't matter. NE's front 7 continue to get pressure making the job of the DB's easy. That's why it doesn't matter who we have in our secondary since we can never mount a pass rush. Not sure how they're getting "older" - I mean, everyone ages. Seymour is 29, Warren is 28, Wilfork is 27, Thomas is 31, Mayo is 23. They'll replace the 34 year old Vrabel with a guy in his 20's (barring the signing of Jason Taylor). Bruschi (35) maybe plays for one more year. The secondary - aside from Shawn Springs - is very young (Hobbs is 25, Meriweather is 24, Sanders is 25, Wilhite is 24). If anything they're getting younger.

Lito Sheppard is 27. How is he past his "prime," exactly?? The Jets defense - led by Rex Ryan - might be sick next year. Revis and Sheppard might be the best CB tandem in the league (outside of Philly), and Rhodes is very, very good. Leonhard has proven he's a serviceable starting SS too.

you do know that Lito Sheppard lost his starting job, and by the end of the year he wasn't even in the nickel back package dont you?

you do know that Lito Sheppard lost his starting job, and by the end of the year he wasn't even in the nickel back package dont you?

If Lito Sheppard sucks then he sucks. But he can't be past his prime at 27.

For the record, I don't think he sucks, and I think you're going to see that this year. He lost his starting job because he bitched and moaned about getting a new contract, Philly said no (as they always do), and brought in Asante. Then they couldn't off-load Sheppard, so they had him play the nickel. Joselio Hanson was playing so well he beat out Lito down the stretch (they also knew Lito wouldn't be back next year and were looking forward), and they rewarded Hanson with a nice contract to boot.

For the record, I don't think he sucks, and I think you're going to see that this year. He lost his starting job because he bitched and moaned about getting a new contract, Philly said no (as they always do), and brought in Asante. Then they couldn't off-load Sheppard, so they had him play the nickel. Joselio Hanson was playing so well he beat out Lito down the stretch (they also knew Lito wouldn't be back next year and were looking forward), and they rewarded Hanson with a nice contract to boot.

I really don't think any secondary in the AFC East is all that good. Miami, and NY Jets were 25th and 29th against the pass. NE was 11th, but yielded 7.3 ypa which happens to be among the worst in the NFL.

NE is clearly the best of those three, but Ellis Hobbs and Terrence Wheatley aren't exactly Champ Bailey and Nnamdi Asomugha. Their starting safeties, Sanders and Meriweather, aren't elite either.

From a pass rushing standpoint, NE's rushers, Adalius Thomas and Seymour aren't what they've been. Thomas is returning from a broken arm and Seymour doesn't get to the QB as often anymore. Belichick is still going to come up with something, but he's not infallible either.

I didn't say he sucked, I was just refuting the point you made about Lito being a part of one of the best starting tandem db's in the league.

I didn't say he sucked, I was just refuting the point you made about Lito being a part of one of the best starting tandem db's in the league.

Because he's "past his prime"? Yeah, right. You have no idea what you're talking about. Two years ago Sheppard and Brown were considered the best young CB tandem in the game. No one knew who these two were coming in and trying to replace Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent - one of the best CB tandems in the game for years - but these two were more than adequate. Sheppard didn't fall out of favor because of lack of talent; he fell out of favor because he bitched about his contract and Philly doesn't put up with that bull sh--. He would have played somewhere else but Philly couldn't get their asking price and could afford his cap number for one more year. But thanks for "refuting" my point.

From a pass rushing standpoint, NE's rushers, Adalius Thomas and Seymour aren't what they've been. Thomas is returning from a broken arm and Seymour doesn't get to the QB as often anymore. Belichick is still going to come up with something, but he's not infallible either.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about. Richard Seymour is a 3-4 DE. 3-4 DE's don't generally rack up large amounts of sacks. That being said, he tied his career high last year with 8 sacks. Adalius Thomas is a monster, and still has every bit of speed and versatility. His stats are harder to measure because they move him from WLB to SLB to MLB at will, depending on injury or the scheme.

I would think they'll turn their attention to finding that elusive LG. Then again, I figured they wouldn't pursue Terrell Owens.

Everything still begins with the offensive line clearing running lanes and providing pass protection. I believe Edwards can make the throws as long as he's got some time. The offense should be fun to watch for the first time in about 7 years.

We need to stop screwing around and pay Peters. A happy Peters that goes through the full offseason program and camp will make any guard next to him look pretty good.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about. Richard Seymour is a 3-4 DE. 3-4 DE's don't generally rack up large amounts of sacks. That being said, he tied his career high last year with 8 sacks. Adalius Thomas is a monster, and still has every bit of speed and versatility. His stats are harder to measure because they move him from WLB to SLB to MLB at will, depending on injury or the scheme.

And your opinion is gospel? Who the heck are you to join this board a month ago and come off as a gift from the heavens?

We know Seymour is a 3-4 DE. But Belichick also can run the 4-3, Seymour can kick inside, there is a whole array of options for that defense. Thomas is a classic rush LB with the versatility to play ILB as well. They don't have established positions, because versatility is the name of the game for Belichick's defenders. It's what made Vrabel an important cog, and it's what has stymied opponents year after years.

We need to stop screwing around and pay Peters. A happy Peters that goes through the full offseason program and camp will make any guard next to him look pretty good.

On that we can agree. He's a talent, and he needs to be in camp this year. Heck, he needs to be around from Day 1.

Because he's "past his prime"? Yeah, right. You have no idea what you're talking about. Two years ago Sheppard and Brown were considered the best young CB tandem in the game. No one knew who these two were coming in and trying to replace Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent - one of the best CB tandems in the game for years - but these two were more than adequate. Sheppard didn't fall out of favor because of lack of talent; he fell out of favor because he bitched about his contract and Philly doesn't put up with that bull sh--. He would have played somewhere else but Philly couldn't get their asking price and could afford his cap number for one more year. But thanks for "refuting" my point.

If you think Lito shepard is one of the best DB's in the league. You are in the minority.

After giving up three touchdowns against Arizona on Thanksgiving, Sheppard was dropped from No. 3 to No. 5 on the depth chart. He then played mostly on special teams the rest of the season.

He was traded for a fifth round draft choice, New Englands at that.

Paleaaaase. One of the best?

If you think Lito shepard is one of the best DB's in the league. You are in the minority.

After giving up three touchdowns against Arizona on Thanksgiving, Sheppard was dropped from No. 3 to No. 5 on the depth chart. He then played mostly on special teams the rest of the season.

Remember the Titans fan that insisted the Titans had 6 starting CBs on their team?

Unless he was covering Fitzgerald AND Steve Breaston he only gave up two. And yes, he gave up two TD's to Larry Fitzgerald on the goalline. Fitzgerald sucks. I definitely see your point here.

Oh, and Randy Moss was traded for a 4th rounder.

What was your point again?

Look, I hope I'm wrong here. If he flops in Jersey I'll be the first to admit it. But teams were pretty high on Lito. Nobody thought he could replace Troy Vincent and he did.