Moves that I think can help this team now.

ICE

1) Move MW to LG. I know this hairlips the pope around here but just doing a good job doesn't cut it. We NEED him in the middle of our line. Put a quicker and more exp Price at RT And let the season playout.

2) Move Vincent to FS when he is healthy. Yeah I know he was brought in to be a CB etc. Move the man where he is going next year anyway and let's shore up the safety position. I am almost willing to bet the Safetys grab 4-5 int's the rest of the season if we do :D

3) Start Edwards at DT. This kid is reaking havok on DL's.

4) Start JP asap when his leg is ready. St. Louis hopefully. For those that will scream "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" Seems to me some other rookie is doing ok for himself. Let this rookie develop on the field NOW. Get that 1/2 season of game exp NOW. With his arm and mobility we might just be suprised at what the result is.

Look MM Made one move (well sorta :D ) by making WM the starter. Make a couple more moves and MAYBE by December this team will start hitting a good stride to take into this offseason. My fear is not us doing bad now, it is doing bad and FINISHING Bad. Finish this season with a 3 game winning streak inc knocking off the Steelers with JP at QB and this team has something to build upon.

Again must my two cents.

I agree with almost everything except I don't think Vincent is really interested in playing FS right now and, I wouldn't take Sam Adams or Pat Williams out for Edwards....I would get him more playing time but, not start him.

I really think we could be a good team with a good quarterback who MAKES PLAYS and, a somewhat better offensive line.

95654[/snapback]

Well honestly it isn't up to Vincent. MM needs to sac up and be our coach. Put the players where they are best and can help this team the best. Vincent at FS and MW at LG are a good start :D

1) MW is a RT.....that is the position he has been trained at the past few years, and to waste all that development time now would be a step back in his play, not a step forward.....i know everyone hates to hear it, but salary cap plays into this decision.......he is making too much to play guard, it tips the scales away from other positions.....

2) Vincent is a pro bowl caliber CB.......why mess with a good thing?

3) i could care less if edwards starts or not.....it's not like any team in the NFL plays 2 DT's only, every team rotates.......edwards gets lots of snaps now, and that isn't gonna change dramatically just because he's starting.......adams and big pat are run stoppers, edwards is a better pass rusher......again, why mess with a good thing? edwards has proven he takes plays off when left out their too long....

4) i feel bledsoe gives us a better chance to win and would rather see him start.....when the season is officially over, that is the time for losman......until then, it's drew's team......

1) Move MW to LG. I know this hairlips the pope around here but just doing a good job doesn't cut it.  We NEED him in the middle of our line. Put a quicker and more exp Price at RT And let the season playout.

2) Move Vincent to FS when he is healthy. Yeah I know he was brought in to be a CB etc.  Move the man where he is going next year anyway and let's shore up the safety position. I am almost willing to bet the Safetys grab 4-5 int's the rest of the season if we do  :D

4) Start JP asap when his leg is ready. St. Louis hopefully.  For those that will scream "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"  Seems to me some other rookie is doing ok for himself.  Let this rookie develop on the field NOW.  Get that 1/2 season of game exp NOW. With his arm and mobility we might just be suprised at what the result is.

Look MM Made one move (well sorta  :D  ) by making WM the starter. Make a couple more moves and MAYBE by December this team will start hitting a good stride to take into this offseason. My fear is not us doing bad now, it is doing bad and FINISHING Bad.  Finish this season with a 3 game winning streak inc knocking off the Steelers with JP at QB and this team has something to build upon.

Again must my two cents.

95643[/snapback]

1. This type of move should be made in the off-season, not in the middle of the season. You don't just shift the line around and hope for the best...it takes some time...and believe it or not the line is actually making positive strides. Make some moves like this and its back to the drawing board. If Mike is moved (which isn't a bad idea in and of itself) it should be done next training camp.

2. Again, this is a move that shouldn't be attempted in midseason. Not only that, but it's a bad idea right now. We're much thinner at CB than we are at S. If Vincent is moved to S then we have McGee starting opposite Clements...and McGee isn't a viable option right now as a starter. Not only that, we have Thomas as our Nickle...in a 3WR set the idea of having McGee and Thomas on the field covering a team's 2nd and 3rd best WR scares the hell out of me. Don't move Vincent to S until we have somebody who can be put at CB that is more than a stop-gap.

3. Edwards is playing very well, but the guy doesn't deserve to start over Pat or Sam...who both are playing very well as of late. Not to mention that Edwards pass rush is his forte right now and he gets in there on obvious passing situations as it is. I feel much more comfortable with Pat and Same clogging the middle on first and second down than I would with Edwards in there.

4. I'm all for starting JP once his leg is ready...in-so-long as Bledsoe is still playing like complete crap when that time comes. If Bledsoe (by some miracle) manages to turn it around before JP's leg is ready, then he shouldn't be pulled. Otherwise, give him the ol' heave ho and lets see what the youngers got.

Most of your ideas seem to be change-for-change-sake ideas. The D should be left alone, period. It's doing its job for the most part and once Vincent is healthy our secondary is no longer a weakness. The O-line and QB are the major problems with this team right now, but you really can't start moving people around mid-season on the line without having negative consequences...and yes, even worse than what we've seen thus far.

Thanks for the replies. See even though we disagree we CAN Talk football LOL!

That said, I keep reading that bledsoe is our best chance for now. Is he? Until we see Losman play we dont know that.

In all reality we are not going to come close to making the playoffs this year. Why not use THIS year to get JP's growing pains out of the way? Everyone that wants to put it off needs to understand he WILL have a year of development. Will we make the playoffs that year? Who knows? More often than not starting a rookie at QB = not making the playoffs. So why not do it when his leg is ready?

Great to see some positive suggestions from you:

1) Move MW to LG. Maybe in the off-season, but the OL is too troubled in mid-season for this kind of experimentation.  Its a time for incremental OL moves in terms of its development rather than radical transformations.  Rather than tinker toying around, I'd limit my experimentation to one (or one-haalf positions at a time. Moving MW to LG is at least half a move (same player stays in but a whole new position for him) and the rest of this budget gets taken up by replacing MW with Price or a new player. I would rather see an experiment like the interesting moves with Bannan in the redzone rather than make this full scale switch as injuries are actually going to take up my 1-1/2 move allocation anyway.

2) Move Vincent to FS when he is healthy. I like this move as McGee has shown he is the real deal at CB and we need help at FS anyway.  I take some pause in doing this only because McGee is showing so much as a KR, he actually is more of a contributor there than at CB.  KR from McGee is my first priority and I make this move as long as I think McGee handles the dual responsibility well.  There is some question as he did get beat around the corner on the Cards first TD yesterday prior to his KR/TD. So make this change but monitor impacts carefully.  If McGee is only up to one of these jobs I'd keep Vincent at CB and let McGee focus on return work.

3) Start Edwards at DT- Nope. I sit neither Sam Adams (best player on D yesterday, nor Fat Pat (consistently a better player than Edwards). Edwards contribution is great to see and its about time from a player who was the disappointment of his Bills draft class to this point. However, don't be fooled yet by his 3rd down appearances like yesterday (actually his play against Miami was more impressive) and what he is able to do as a back-up compared to what he will do as a starter.  His current play is important as it should make us feel better about PW in FA, but if it ain't broke don't fix it in terms of starting at DT.

4) Start JP asap when his leg is ready. St. Louis hopefully.  I agree that I'm hopeful that St. Louis will be a coming out for JP.  However, in addition to him being physically ready (my uess from what I hear is that he will certainly be ready physically for at least mop-up duty by the St. Louis game) he needs to be judged mentally ready by the coaching braintrist as well. If Wyche is confident he has absorbed the NFL way from watching the game as player and also confident that any mechanical issues have been ironed out of him through visualizing by JP and repetitious throwing practice, then I'm very comfortable developing him by working him into games.  However, it strikes me as foolish and antithetical to his developmentto merely throw him in to fail if the braintrust judges that he needs more time to be successful.

RoboQB should not be blithely accepted as a reason why JP can do it, because the two men are different players with different sets of skills and experiences they bring to the game.  RoboQB clearly profitted from having a full pre-season which JP did not have, weeks of practice with his teammates which JP did not have and I didn't see him in college but my understanding is he was schooled in a pro style offense.  JP on the other hand may have gottten traing for his Bills situation as he spent much of college running for his life behind a porous OL. However, he also developed some mechanical problems like throwing off balance which worked in college but he will get eaten alive by the Pros.

Losman should start when he is judged ready by MM,TC and Wyche and not sooner or be railroaded into starting him before he is ready by the whines of us customers or business pressures on TD.  If you want to throw around examples (some of which apply some don't like the RoboQB situation), QBs like Pennington and Vick sat most or all of their rookies years and led their teams to the playoffs as sopho,ore starters so the idea a player must start as a freshman or his 2nd year is a bust is simply wrong,

Again must my two cents.

95643[/snapback]

1) Move MW to LG. I know this hairlips the pope around here but just doing a good job doesn't cut it.  We NEED him in the middle of our line. Put a quicker and more exp Price at RT And let the season playout.

2) Move Vincent to FS when he is healthy. Yeah I know he was brought in to be a CB etc.  Move the man where he is going next year anyway and let's shore up the safety position. I am almost willing to bet the Safetys grab 4-5 int's the rest of the season if we do  ;)

4) Start JP asap when his leg is ready. St. Louis hopefully.  For those that will scream "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"  Seems to me some other rookie is doing ok for himself.  Let this rookie develop on the field NOW.  Get that 1/2 season of game exp NOW. With his arm and mobility we might just be suprised at what the result is.

Look MM Made one move (well sorta  :D  ) by making WM the starter. Make a couple more moves and MAYBE by December this team will start hitting a good stride to take into this offseason. My fear is not us doing bad now, it is doing bad and FINISHING Bad.  Finish this season with a 3 game winning streak inc knocking off the Steelers with JP at QB and this team has something to build upon.

Again must my two cents.

95643[/snapback]

Hes BACK!!!! BTW I am assuming ya missed the Cards game since Bills won :D:lol::P

1. This type of move should be made in the off-season, not in the middle of the season.  You don't just shift the line around and hope for the best...it takes some time...and believe it or not the line is actually making positive strides.  Make some moves like this and its back to the drawing board.  If Mike is moved (which isn't a bad idea in and of itself) it should be done next training camp.

2. Again, this is a move that shouldn't be attempted in midseason.  Not only that, but it's a bad idea right now.  We're much thinner at CB than we are at S.  If Vincent is moved to S then we have McGee starting opposite Clements...and McGee isn't a viable option right now as a starter.  Not only that, we have Thomas as our Nickle...in a 3WR set the idea of having McGee and Thomas on the field covering a team's 2nd and 3rd best WR scares the hell out of me.  Don't move Vincent to S until we have somebody who can be put at CB that is more than a stop-gap.

3. Edwards is playing very well, but the guy doesn't deserve to start over Pat or Sam...who both are playing very well as of late.  Not to mention that Edwards pass rush is his forte right now and he gets in there on obvious passing situations as it is.  I feel much more comfortable with Pat and Same clogging the middle on first and second down than I would with Edwards in there.

4. I'm all for starting JP once his leg is ready...in-so-long as Bledsoe is still playing like complete crap when that time comes.  If Bledsoe (by some miracle) manages to turn it around before JP's leg is ready, then he shouldn't be pulled.  Otherwise, give him the ol' heave ho and lets see what the youngers got.

Most of your ideas seem to be change-for-change-sake ideas.  The D should be left alone, period.  It's doing its job for the most part and once Vincent is healthy our secondary is no longer a weakness.  The O-line and QB are the major problems with this team right now, but you really can't start moving people around mid-season on the line without having negative consequences...and yes, even worse than what we've seen thus far.

95684[/snapback]

MDH, what do you think of MM using Bannon and Adams on the O-Line yesterday? I agree with Ice on most of his points. I think moving Williams now and putting Vincent at safety( I think Mcgee and clements are more than holding there own) would have our 4 best DB's in the game all the time.

2) Move Vincent to FS when he is healthy. Yeah I know he was brought in to be a CB etc.  Move the man where he is going next year anyway and let's shore up the safety position. I am almost willing to bet the Safetys grab 4-5 int's the rest of the season if we do  :lol:

Again must my two cents.

95643[/snapback]

1. I don't think anyone has slammed MW more the past 2 years than I have. If I'm not at the top of that list, I'm pretty close to it. And I've advocated making this move for a long time. But the past couple of weeks, I've had a slight change of heart on MW (and for that matter, Josh Reed). Let's see what he does with a real QB first before making that move. I think getting Drew out of the line-up will make everyone better.

2. Maybe, I'm still not sure. Reese is God-awful, & McGee definitely has game. I do like seeing the best players on the field.

3. No. As others have said, this combo seems to be coming along fine as-is.

4. Is the Pope Catholic? Does a bear **** in the woods? HELL YES! :D

I'm with MDH.

Let me paraphrase,

1) Plug in the journeyman player over the #4 pick

2) Ask a Pro Bowler to change positions

3) Bench a perennial All Pro who played great last week

4) Throw the ill prepared rookie into the fire.

Injuries aside, we've already made 3 roster adjustments this season.

PP/Wire, Evans/Reed and WM/TH. They were at different times but overall, we were 0-4 and 2-1 since the changes.

I'll give it a couple games before I'd make another move.

I wouldn't trade the tandem of Adams/Williams for ANYTHING right now. Adams was publicly outspoken about his discontent with the DT's role in this D. It looks like he and the staff got it ironed out and they've turned him loose since the little falling out. When you let Sam do his thing I've never seen a DT get into the backfield the way he does... the man absolutely is a one man wrecking crew.

I have a different suggestion for who should be our LG: Justin Bannan! From what I hear he's a lot more athletic than that Baltimore reject who currently mans that position. Banaan also seems to have a high motor, which is a good example for some of our other offensive linemen. I say, keep working him into the mix a little more each week, until he has that starting OLG position all to himself.

MDH, what do you think of MM using Bannon and Adams on the O-Line yesterday? I agree with Ice on most of his points. I think moving Williams now and putting Vincent at safety( I think Mcgee and clements are more than holding there own) would have our 4 best DB's in the game all the time.

95798[/snapback]

I liked the use of Adams at the goal line...the more beef you can get down there on the goal line the better. I was also impressed on WM’s second TD when Adams not only blocked the DL in front of him, but moved to the second level and put a hit on the LB as well. Nicely done. As for Bannon, he seemed to pull pretty well, but I don't think there are any long term permanent plans to use him on the Oline...but I guess we'll see. I do like the fact that MM and the staff aren’t afraid to try some different players elsewhere to see if they can improve the team.

As for putting the "best" players on the field in the secondary, I agree...but at the positions they are the best at. I don't think that McGee is a better CB right now than Reese is at S....but I know that Vincent is a better CB right now than he would be at S. Maybe with a training camp under his belt that would change, but asking Vincent move from CB to S midseason is just asking for game changing mistakes to be made while he learns a new position. Not to mention, I think people are way overrating McGee as a CB right now. He does seem to have a nose for the ball and my be our biggest ball hawk in the secondary, but that being said, he also gets beat more than anybody else in the secondary. My basic philosophy on the D is why mess with it? Once Vincent gets back (and assuming we don’t lose anybody else to injury…) our D should be dominant.