Seems like the Bills do not have interest in FA TE

BuffaloBill

I think the Bills are likely to draft one in the late rounds but not much else. They seem to put little value in the role. I guess Fine and Schouman ae considered "good enough." I highly doubt the Bills pick a TE day one of the drft and they may take their chances and not pick one at all.

I'm glad that they don't. This FA TE pool looks like crap.

If I had to guess, they're all but certain to take one early in the draft. They desperately need an upgrade to their passing attack and offense in general, and barring a surprise pick at WR, its unlikely that they're going to get it any other way.

I think the Bills are likely to draft one in the late rounds but not much else. They seem to put little value in the role. I guess Fine and Schouman ae considered "good enough." I highly doubt the Bills pick a TE day one of the drft and they may take their chances and not pick one at all.

To be honest i was quite impressed by the play of the dereks at tight end, and now that Robert "drop everything "Royal is gone we should get more looks at these two, im not opposed to signing a true blocking tight end, and seeing what we truly have in these guys.

And lets be honest, if the season started today are we any worse off at TE?

The phrase 'addition by subtraction' comes to mind. I'm not really a fan of the two guys they still have, but honestly, I have a hard time believing they could be significantly worse than Royal. Friggin' Lonnie was better than that guy.

Everything I read says the Bills are projected to use on of their top two picks on a TE.

Fine looked mighty fine to me in at least a couple of games last year--I think he's got potential, but we still need to add another TE either via the draft or FA, as he and Schouman (who's a bit light to play at TE) alone won't cut it.

To be honest i was quite impressed by the play of the dereks at tight end, and now that Robert "drop everything "Royal is gone we should get more looks at these two, im not opposed to signing a true blocking tight end, and seeing what we truly have in these guys.

Fine looked mighty fine to me in at least a couple of games last year--I think he's got potential, but we still need to add another TE either via the draft or FA, as he and Schouman (who's a bit light to play at TE) alone won't cut it.

I'm with you guys--I liked what I saw from our Dereks- granted, what I saw was when they were thrown to/caught the ball/ran with it, and I never had the chance to breakdown their route running and blocking. Some insight as to these skills and how it compares to rookies on the radar would be nice.

Plus, is TE a rookie impact position? Would a brand new guy be as efficient as our second and third year guys?

DRAFT!!!

Branden Ledbetter, TE, Western Michigan (6-5, 236)

Overview

During the early portion of his career, Ledbetter was often compared to former Western Michigan standout Tony Scheffler. He isn’t quite as athletically gifted as Scheffler, but he’s very impressive in his own right. Ledbetter caught 120 balls over the past three seasons and finished the 2008 season year with 45 receptions, 464 yards and six touchdowns.

Scout’s Take

An athletically gifted tight end who displays impressive straight-line speed (4.69) and has the ability to threaten the seam and create mismatches down the field. Displays a really good first step and can consistently burst and separate in and out of his breaks. Reaches full speed quickly and has an ability to create some yards after contact. Exhibits good body control and hands with an ability to track the ball down the field. Looks more like a bulked-up receiver and will never be much of a factor as a down tight end on the line of scrimmage. Lacks power in his lower body and looks to lanky and thin-framed for the position. But he does do a nice job using his hands and shiftiness to beat press coverage off the line and get into routes quickly.

Rundown

Ledbetter did a nice job showcasing his playmaking ability at the Texas vs. the Nation Bowl, hauling in four catches for 39 yards. His speed and receiving skill set will allow him to create mismatches as a possible H-back prospect at the next level. He is never going to be much of an in-line blocker, but if you need a late-round tight end prospect with some big-play potential, Ledbetter is your guy.