We all agree Bledsoe is not the future

DCgirl

But he is the current quarterback until Losman is well enough to play. So I don't understand the need to bash Bledsoe after every game - ESPECIALLY a fairly dominating win. I was not thrilled with Bledsoe's play and I think he is a mediocre QB at home and horrendous on the road. But there is nothing we can do about it. We do NOT want to throw Losman in there before he is ready. And Matthews is horrible (reminder - no team in the league even wanted Matthews as a THIRD QB before the season began).

I just think it lowers the stress level to enjoy a win (even one over a bad team) and hope for a few more before Losman takes over (once he has fully recovered - the worst possibility would be to hurry him back and have him reinjure himself).

I guess the real question, and one I hope we have to deal with, is what happens if we go on a win streak?  Do you bench Bledsoe for JP, even if the team is winning?

94761[/snapback]

If your QB is averaging 81 yards? Yes.

I am a huge Drew basher, but if he starts winning, and can put up some numbers, and keep the INTs down, I'll be happy to stick with him

I think the OLine is finally starting to gel. And that has been his apologists biggest fear: that the Oline looks decent and drew still cant do s#it.

If your QB is averaging 81 yards? Yes.

I am a huge Drew basher, but if he starts winning, and can put up some numbers, and keep the INTs down, I'll be happy to stick with him

I think the OLine is finally starting to gel. And that has been his apologists biggest fear: that the Oline looks decent and drew still cant do s#it.

94767[/snapback]

Steve here's my deal....I like Bledsoe. I know he is not the future and I hope to see JP as soon as he is ready to roll. But Drew really is getting into a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Drew did not play great yesterday but he played well enough to win. He is the QB and he did a good job of playing within the offense, minimizing mistakes and making plays when he had to.

Some people love Drew so much that they believe he had an amazing game. AND some people hate him so much that they can't even give him the slightest iota of credit. Drew did NOT win the game for us, but he definitely helped. Leave it at that until JP is ready.

I think it should all depend upon the coaching assessment of JP's development by MM, TC and Wyche. I think it would b the height of foolishness to put him in games before he is ready to play and develop well and it would be a really bad idea to bench our QB of the future if PT is what he needs to develop as Bledsoe is simply not going to lead the 2004 team to the playoffs (or even a winning season most likely).

As far aswhat is good for JPs development in terms of when he should play, I like the rest of the TSW posters have no real idea. The doctors know a lot more than I do about his injury and Wyche/Clements know a lot more about his command of the game and any mechanical issues than I do (and all us posters as well).

I think these are among the key factors for consideration and my sense of where JP is from what I have seen (pre-season and Tulane highlights) and what i hear (75% or more of which is not to be believed).

1. Playing against NFL opposition and at NFL speed- This can come only through playing somewhat in practice, more in the pre-season, but the real deal is necessary in games. Nevertheless, JP has shown me in his brief pre-season appearances that he has a level of athleticism and a lot of experience running for his life at Tulane that he looks pretty good in this area. He must get PT to really develop, but his performance so far makes this point less of a reason to force him to start a lot this year.

2. Building the ability to lead his teamates- The word is that his cockiness got some of the vets a bit pissed at him when he would take advantage of the "no-hit tutu" he wore in practice to peel off some runs against the D. It is unfortunate if teaching him a lesson was part of the reason Vincent teed off on him practice, but if it was then it is up to JP to learn his lesson and be a leader of his teammmates rather than a primadonna. As far as learning how to lead, nothing suceeds like success. RoboQB for Pitts and Brady winning the SB will be better players becase they believe in themselves and their teammates believe in them because their teams won. If the Bills continue to play like yesterday, I feel better about giving JP a chance to share in this glory. However, if the team sucks, MM, TC and Wyche have to be more careful about things because while their are examples like a Peyton Manning surviving a 3-13 year and still gaining the confidence oftheteam, no oneis confusing the rookie Losman for Manning . He needs to b used and developed in away which gives him success either because the team can carry him or because he is judged good enough to carry the team. Simply throwing him in so he can learn by being bad is not a good strategy.

3. Learning NFL offense and defenses- The irony here is that the injury may turn out to have been the best thing to happen to JP (assuming a physical recovery) if he used the time when he had no expectation of playing well. he really needed to become Sam Wyche's best friend and have the former HC download his knowledge to him. I think JP develops much faster in the booth looking over the NFL from above while Wyche explains what happens ra

ther than on the sideline carrying the clipboard or yucking it up with his teamates. 4. Learning the Bills O- Again PT is critical for application, but practice time builds chemistry and videotape builds knowledge. I don't let him play until he demonstrates he is ready and simply learning and relearning on the job destroys chemistry and confidence. Ironing out his mechanics- He developed a habit of throwing off balance and off the wrong foot running for his life at Tulane. It worked in college but pros will eat him alive, He must practice, practice, practice.

I'll give DB a pass for his performance this Sunday - we'll chalk it up to the weather. Why he was able to shred the Miami D in a blizzard two years ago is beyond me considering that he now claims weather impedes his performance, but alas... Anyhow, the sheer fact is that DB cannot win on the road. Something happens to him. He goes into a shell, he panics, he cowers, and he utterly fails to make plays and lead. Yes, Brett Favre often comes out of road losses with similar numbers in terms of sacks and INTs, but something about Favre's performance in those games is different from Drew's - Favre is constantly competing, trying to carry his team on his shoulders, to the point where he has a wholly irrational (yet admirable) confidence in himself. Drew, by contrast, seems to sink inside of some kind of psychological morass - the more pressure, the louder the opposing fans, the deeper he sinks... it's just pathetic. Anyhow.

After Bledsoe's inevitable horrible, disgusting embarassment of a performance in Week 10 in New England (I dunno, typical DB road outing - 6-8 sacks, 3 INTs and 2 fumbles), it will be apparent to all remaining Ostriches that 1) he is washed up, and 2) we aren't going to the playoffs. At that point, the clamoring for JP here and elsewhere will pick up. JP needs to have game experience this year so that he won't be starting raw next season, and so that the team doesn't quit entirely at the end of this season.