WE NEED EVERETT BROWN

DERRICK O

I agree. From what I have seen, Brown is the best pass rusher of the three big DE's in this draft. Everyone loves Orakpo because he is bigger than Brown and Maybin, but Everette Brown has way more moves on the pass rush. All Orakpo does is the speed rush. Have you seen Brown's spin move?? It's sick. Looks just like Freeney.

Yup! He more than any other defensive end makes me feel more warm and fuzzy drafting him at the #11 spot. Some of the "gurus" question his height at 6'2. I don't. Of what I have seen he is the best pure pass rusher in the draft. Btw, Dwight Freeney is 6'1, he's not too shabby.

Yup! He more than any other defensive end makes me feel more warm and fuzzy drafting him at the #11 spot. Some of the "gurus" question his height at 6'2. I don't. Of what I have seen he is the best pure pass rusher in the draft. Btw, Dwight Freeney is 6'1, he's not too shabby.

Quick side note: I know it's nitpicky, but Freeney's never seen 6'1" in his life. He may be listed at that height, but at the combine in 2002 he measured up at 5'11". Doesn't really matter, your point is still valid.

Regardless, Brown is a very good athlete and will probably be a good NFL player. I've made it known on this board before that there's other guys I prefer, and I still feel that way. I firmly believe that Larry English will be the pass-rushing gem of the class, and after him (I know you guys have all heard this before) I like Aaron Maybin.

If, however, Buffalo selected Brown, I wouldn't be disappointed. I just feel that English and Maybin will be better NFL pass rushers. My primary basis for that is my feeling that Brown relies too heavily on athletic ability to get the job done, and I don't think that he'll be able to do that as often against NFL tackles. When I watch the other two (English in particular), I don't see the same thing. English, for example, augments his excellent first-step by methodically breaking down his opponents' pass protection. He'll use 3 or 4 different pass rush techniques and angles on consecutive plays, and by the time the 3rd and 4th quarter rolls around, the tackle is near punchdrunk. He'll also chuck the speed approach and drop his hips into a bull rush once the opposing tackle starts to cheat backwards off the line. I really feel like his variety of pass rush moves and techniques will translate better than the other DEs. Maybin, in what little I've seen of him (10 games), looks like he has the same style, but not quite as refined.

Yet I digress, I don't dislike Brown, I just have other players that I like better.

Quick side note: I know it's nitpicky, but Freeney's never seen 6'1" in his life. He may be listed at that height, but at the combine in 2002 he measured up at 5'11". Doesn't really matter, your point is still valid.

Regardless, Brown is a very good athlete and will probably be a good NFL player. I've made it known on this board before that there's other guys I prefer, and I still feel that way. I firmly believe that Larry English will be the pass-rushing gem of the class, and after him (I know you guys have all heard this before) I like Aaron Maybin.

If, however, Buffalo selected Brown, I wouldn't be disappointed. I just feel that English and Maybin will be better NFL pass rushers. My primary basis for that is my feeling that Brown relies too heavily on athletic ability to get the job done, and I don't think that he'll be able to do that as often against NFL tackles. When I watch the other two (English in particular), I don't see the same thing. English, for example, augments his excellent first-step by methodically breaking down his opponents' pass protection. He'll use 3 or 4 different pass rush techniques and angles on consecutive plays, and by the time the 3rd and 4th quarter rolls around, the tackle is near punchdrunk. He'll also chuck the speed approach and drop his hips into a bull rush once the opposing tackle starts to cheat backwards off the line. I really feel like his variety of pass rush moves and techniques will translate better than the other DEs. Maybin, in what little I've seen of him (10 games), looks like he has the same style, but not quite as refined.

Yet I digress, I don't dislike Brown, I just have other players that I like better.

nice analysis

Haven't seen any video on English yet but I'm gonna look in a second.

He must be impressive if he's got a larger repertoire of moves than Brown though.

Of the guys I've seen (Brown Maybin, Orakpo), Brown is the most finished, the most polished in terms of pass rushing technique. He seems like a natural pass rusher and I think he is more than just athletic ability.

But I don't have that trained "scout's eye" so we'll see.

By the way, if you watch the stuff on Ziggy Hood, it's pretty amazing. He also has developed a lot of moves which he executes very fluently. I think he's listed as a tackle but it seems to me that he could easily line up at end.

I like Larry English as well. Maybin shows lots of promise but I'm very wary of him.

As far as your comment on Brown and how he rely's on his athletic ability, I don't think that is an accurate observation. He is widely regarded to have the best "moves" in this draft. The most well rounded pass rusher. He has the spin move, speed rush and the ability to bull rush the qb. If you go back and look at his sacks, he has a variety of moves and thats why he will most likely be the 1st DE picked in this draft.

But I do like Larry English a lot. I think Larry English will probably end up going to the Patriots. I see him being that hybrid LB/passrushing end sort of player.

I like Larry English as well. Maybin shows lots of promise but I'm very wary of him.

As far as your comment on Brown and how he rely's on his athletic ability, I don't think that is an accurate observation. He is widely regarded to have the best "moves" in this draft. The most well rounded pass rusher. He has the spin move, speed rush and the ability to bull rush the qb. If you go back and look at his sacks, he has a variety of moves and thats why he will most likely be the 1st DE picked in this draft.

But I do like Larry English a lot. I think Larry English will probably end up going to the Patriots. I see him being that hybrid LB/passrushing end sort of player.

Yeah I guess the bottom line is that I wouldn't be disappointed with any of the 3 (Brown, English, Maybin). I do, however, think that Brown will be the first of the 3 to come off the board.

Unfortunately I think you're right, English will probably end up in New England, and I will drink heavily.

P.S. If any of you are wondering what will happen if English does not end up in New England, the answer is: I will still drink heavily.

Just got done watching about 7:20 minutes of Larry English on Youtube.

The guy has an incredible first step and (please no jokes) a great motor. Whistle to whistle. Also has a finishing burst which is incredible. He closes very quickly on his quarry and seems to accelerate into his hits.

Almost every sack was in a passing situation against shotguns. Most of them were where he lined up split wide and outran or ripped the OT to turn the corner.

He made one spin move which was aided and abetted by a chip block by the RB.

One sack was a stunt where he looped inside and came free.

There was 1 or 2 bull rushes. Those are much harder to execute against NFL tackles.

He doesn't seem to have developed a counter move yet and looks to me like he is dominating people with his athletic ability. He will probably get more polished. He seemed very rangy for a guy measured at 6'2" and 274.

Very impressive but a bit raw.

Haven't seen any video on English yet but I'm gonna look in a second.

He must be impressive if he's got a larger repertoire of moves than Brown though.

Of the guys I've seen (Brown Maybin, Orakpo), Brown is the most finished, the most polished in terms of pass rushing technique. He seems like a natural pass rusher and I think he is more than just athletic ability.

But I don't have that trained "scout's eye" so we'll see.

By the way, if you watch the stuff on Ziggy Hood, it's pretty amazing. He also has developed a lot of moves which he executes very fluently. I think he's listed as a tackle but it seems to me that he could easily line up at end.

Well, when your entire social life consists of eating pizza, drinking beer, going to the gym to work off the pizza and beer, and watching countless hours of football while eating pizza and drinking beer, you tend to develop a decent eye for what skills coaches and scouts like to see in a player. That said, I would be no better at running a draft than you would, so take my opinions with a grain of sea salt.

Just got done watching about 7:20 minutes of Larry English on Youtube.

The guy has an incredible first step and (please no jokes) a great motor. Whistle to whistle. Also has a finishing burst which is incredible. He closes very quickly on his quarry and seems to accelerate into his hits.

Almost every sack was in a passing situation against shotguns. Most of them were where he lined up split wide and outran or ripped the OT to turn the corner.

He made one spin move which was aided and abetted by a chip block by the RB.

One sack was a stunt where he looped inside and came free.

There was 1 or 2 bull rushes. Those are much harder to execute against NFL tackles.

He doesn't seem to have developed a counter move yet and looks to me like he is dominating people with his athletic ability. He will probably get more polished. He seemed very rangy for a guy measured at 6'2" and 274.

Very impressive but a bit raw.

The other thing if you notice that is impressive about Larry English is that he gets his sacks from the right and left sides. So he isn't just effective rushing the qb from the blind side tackle but also from the other side. I like him alot, If we were not looking to pick up a DE with the first choice, I would be tempted to trade back into the latter half of the first round and pick him up. I see him being a James Harrison sort of player.

The only problem with that is that we don't draft pass rushing LB's and I'm not sure if he would fit as a natural DE

I just watched tape on all the DE prospects in the draft and Everett Brown is a BEAST!!!

Speed, power and smarts on the field, he has it all.If he is there at 11 they better grab him.

Any thoughts?

just like all of those other Florida State DE's that turned out to be probowlers.

pass