Impressing Performances at the combine

thebandit27

Someone needs to bring this up. The illiteracy on this Board is actually quite scary. It's kind of tough to have your post taken seriously when you butcher words and misspell other ones.

"Impressing"..... ^_^

See my sig.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, chill will ya? This site isn't meant for vetaran jounalists, the contint is what we need to focis on. It is a freakin

discussin bored. Sorry we all don't possess your penmenship and wit, maybe you need to relocate yurself to some other

place a little less fryhtining fur ya, are you afraid of the bogeyman too!

Very good retort. I can tell by your sarcastic misspelling that you are poking fun back at me. Let me reassure you, I'm not "frightened" enough to go elsewhere. It has nothing to do with my penmanship or wit, just an observation on my part that sometimes the bar gets pretty damn low around here......

Very good retort. I can tell by your sarcastic misspelling that you are poking fun back at me. Let me reassure you, I'm not "frightened" enough to go elsewhere. It has nothing to do with my penmanship or wit, just an observation on my part that sometimes the bar gets pretty damn low around here......

OK maybe I was a little too blunt. I think that posts should make sense and have some intrinsic value, but spelling and

grammar should be the least of our concerns, given the nature of the what this board is meant to be.

So, what's the story with Andre Smith (OT - Alabama) leaving the combine early? I would have thought that he would need to show up and impress the scouts to give himself a better rep.

From the quick snippet I saw on E$PN, it sounded like he felt that he didn't need to be there and the scouts were ticked that he left early.

OK maybe I was a little too blunt. I think that posts should make sense and have some intrinsic value, but spelling and

grammar should be the least of our concerns, given the nature of the what this board is meant to be.

As with most things, it's a matter of degree. At what point does the writer loses all credibility if he can't spell? I guess it depends partly on the quality of his thought.

If his thought and his spelling both suck, well then it sucks being him. Especially if he doesn't have a money making talent like playing football.

p.s.- A related question is "What does it say about a person who doesn't know how to or can't bother to use the spell check? Rhetorical question. No need to send answers.

eric wood and Shawn Nelson both looked very good, I also like TE Cook from So carolina, Hakeem Nicks ran a good 40, he is a very good receiver, great hands, runs great routes and a Solid Kid, I question Patrick Turners speed, did he run today? what was his time? good hands and good route runner

I agree with you. Hakeem Nicks is a player Id love to see the Bills get in maybe the 2nd or 3rd round (not sure he will drop that far). I hate to give up on Hardy already, but from what I saw I was not impressed at all and there is a very good chance he will not be ready to play until midseason at the earliest. A big WR is still a need on this team. Nicks was spectacular in college, which doesnt always translate to the NFL, but all Hardy did was use his big body in college to catch 5 yd TD passes. Nicks is a complete receiver.

Dude, chill will ya? This site isn't meant for vetaran jounalists, the contint is what we need to focis on. It is a freakin

discussin bored. Sorry we all don't possess your penmenship and wit, maybe you need to relocate yurself to some other

place a little less fryhtining fur ya, are you afraid of the bogeyman too!

I aggree ne one who is so conserned aboot other peeple spelllng probly hs a lough self imageg nd need to meke hissslf feal betters by pinting out othars misteaks. OMJ

Well if they raised it you couldn't post here. Count your blessings.

So, what's the story with Andre Smith (OT - Alabama) leaving the combine early? I would have thought that he would need to show up and impress the scouts to give himself a better rep.

From the quick snippet I saw on E$PN, it sounded like he felt that he didn't need to be there and the scouts were ticked that he left early.

Great way to move up in the draft! How much money will that cost him?

Someone needs to bring this up. The illiteracy on this Board is actually quite scary. It's kind of tough to have your post taken seriously when you butcher words and misspell other ones.

"Impressing"..... :thumbsup:

I would hope that someone so critical of others writing would be more judicious than to write their 2 sentences in the Passive Voice, which is a major faux pas taught in journalism schools. However, since you are so perturbed by everyone's literacy (or lack thereof), allow me to mollify your trepidation with an elucidation regarding my dictation...my professional aptitudes indubitably impart themselves adequately to such an undertaking.

I originally titled my post "Players Impressing Me at the Combine", and subsequently opted to revise the moniker to its current construct. In so doing, I irrevocably retained the verb form of the remark "impress", much to my consternation. I lack the forum prowess to further amend said heading, ergo it shall remain a substandard utterance in printed form.

Or, in plain English, get over it. I "butchered" a word in revising my title, grow up. It's a message board. If you expect me to write the way I do in my professional life, you're going to be disappointed. If you want to harp on someone's spelling, grammar, literacy, or any other facet of the written/spoken English vernacular, I suggest you find someone that truly can't write, because you picked the wrong target.

SC alum here...Jared Cook was the best player on a team in the SEC (top competition). He was constantly double-teamed and for many games he was the only offensive weapon (McKinley - WR was hurt at times during the season). SC had revolving QBs - all who couldn't play in the MAC. Unfortunately, he was too impressive in the combine and now the Bills likely have no shot at him in Rd 2.

Well if we draft him, I hope your right. There is no doubt having a player of that speed at the TE position is enticing. But I will say this, nothing that you said makes me feel that he is a good player. You said he was the "best player" on his team. that is a general statement that doesn't really carry too much weight. How did you figure that with his 30 some odd receptions? Not disagreeing with you, just asking. Secondly, just because he was double teamed doesn't make him a second round selection. Third the revolving qb's, no doubt that hinders any recievers odds at having a good season, but still doesn't justify someone to be a high pick.

Either way, If the Bills draft him, I hope they see something that makes them feel good about him, instead of drafting him based on his measurables.

I agree with you. Hakeem Nicks is a player Id love to see the Bills get in maybe the 2nd or 3rd round (not sure he will drop that far). I hate to give up on Hardy already, but from what I saw I was not impressed at all and there is a very good chance he will not be ready to play until midseason at the earliest. A big WR is still a need on this team. Nicks was spectacular in college, which doesnt always translate to the NFL, but all Hardy did was use his big body in college to catch 5 yd TD passes. Nicks is a complete receiver.

Some scouts believe that Nicks will go as high as 19th overall...even if that's over-valuing him, it's extremely unlikely that he'll fall to 32, much less 42.

As much as I want to see Steve Johnson have the second WR role this year, I think it would be awfully hard to pass up on Nicks. I've said this before, I believe he is the best WR out of this years class. All he has done is averaged over 70 receptions a season, averaged over 1000 yards, 15 yards per reception and 8 td's a season.

Mind you he has not been playing in a spread or pass happy offense.

He is a game changer, never drops a pass, always seems to get open and has a great physique with good speed.

If he was available in the second round, which I highly doubt, I believe it would be a mistake that we would look back on for many years.

As much as I want to see Steve Johnson have the second WR role this year, I think it would be awfully hard to pass up on Nicks. I've said this before, I believe he is the best WR out of this years class. All he has done is averaged over 70 receptions a season, averaged over 1000 yards, 15 yards per reception and 8 td's a season.

Mind you he has not been playing in a spread or pass happy offense.

He is a game changer, never drops a pass, always seems to get open and has a great physique with good speed.

If he was available in the second round, which I highly doubt, I believe it would be a mistake that we would look back on for many years.

DT, TE, C, LB, OL are all much greater needs than WR this year. I hope the Bills can trade down this year with somebody.

So basically you have scout day combine euphoria. Your solely basing it on his combine performance. The only thing you brought up aside from his impressive combine was that his "college production was very good". what was very good about it?

No one is still able to mention anything about him aside from his combine. The best I heard was that the qb from SC sucked and that is why he didn't have good numbers. Another words making an excuse for his lack of production. I am not saying it is not justified, but the bottom line is it is an excuse.

So by your draft day analysis, you would of picked up vernon davis right?

Btw, for those who say that speed is the main determinant. Anquan Boldin ran a 4.73 forty as a WR.

Too many people get this scouting day combine euphoria. They get wowed with these super athletes, then when they draft them, they realize that the player they drafted really isn't that good of a football player.

In contrast, all the analysts were very impressed with Pettigrew, they said he had the softest hands of the bunch, he had an explosive broad jump and vertical considering his size and we all know what kind of blocker he is. Let's not underrate that.

I'm not against Jared Cook, I just hope if we draft him, that he is a football player first.

Pettigrew's college production was not that great either - there is a TE in this draft that caught 111 passes this year. Pettigrew 40 time was worse than it looked because the split time was slow. That 7 yard pass he caught in college is 3-4 yards in the Pros. He does have ball skills which are a great asset. The coach made a comment about the guys who can get down field he said they are better blockers than they look because they force respect from the defenders. One misstep and they are gone.

The argument for Pettigrew is that he can catch the short pass and block but he will not stretch the field for you. Gronkowski can do that an maybe give you more stretch. The key question is if you do draft Pettigrew how are you going to improve your pass rush?

if you draft a DE or rush LB number 1 you can improve your rush and still come back and get a TE who is much better than what we have now in the 2nd 3rd or 4th or perhaps even lower round. You can use your second and third to get a Center and a TE. This is a very deep TE draft much better than last year. It's a poor DE draft and an average Center draft. Guys Like Phillips, Gronkowski and and Sperry will be available in the 4th and 5th rounds The drop off is not that great. If a player is available who can rush the passer at 11 you have to take him.

Let me try to moderate here:

Trader did not say he hated Pettigrew. He said he hated him at #11.

And he likes Cook but I don't remember him saying pick Cook at #11.

So the question is Pettigrew at #11 or Cook at #42?

Does this seem about right?

Yes I would not take Cook at 11. I want a Pass rusher at that spot.