DE is a huge need but

BeastMode54

I've read so much on him recently that if the Bills did pick him 11th overall, I wouldn't be too upset about it. This is a great article from NFL.com on him

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d...mp;confirm=true

Personally I love the pick at #11 by the Bills. He has it all going for him but great speed. You do not need great speed 10 to 20 yards out. You need to separate just a foot and he makes that look easy when watching him on film. Great hands and athletic ability. Edwards will love him and so will the fans.

Pettigrew would be a nightmare matchup for a linebacker. Outside, he would be a tough matchup for a short cornerback. And he has the agility to line up outside and be as effective as some wide receivers.

Add to that some scouts’ description of Pettigrew as a "devastating" blocker and it is easy to see why this player will likely turn heads at his combine workout. His time of 4.85 in the (40) is not great, but when you watch him catch, he is so smooth and makes it all look so easy. Takem Bills ......

You place way too much importance on speed. so by your way of evaulating players, you would look at speed first. Great!!

That means you would of picked Vernon Davis with the #6 overall pick and would'nt of even considered Carlson for an early round pick.

Speed no doubt is an element of the game, but being a football player is a more important element of the game. Pettigrew is a Football Player. Vernon Davis is an athlete who isn't a football player.

Its not merely the lack of speed, its the lack of production. In 3 years, he's never had a 100 yard receiving game, not to mention that he didn't have a TD last year, and never more than 4 in a season.

The Big 12 isn't exactly known for its pass defense. Though Ok-State's offense isn't a pass happy spread offense of most Big 12 teams, a more running style offense can usually open up good opportunities for a TE.

The lack of production concerns me more than his lack of speed, except to say that his poor 40 time might partially explain his lack of production.

What happened to all the talk about Chase Coffman? I still think he is a top TE. But there seems to be a lot of options here for the Bills to jump on. Pettigrew, Coffman, Cook, Casey, Nelson.. Even Bear Pascoe, and dont forget about Travis Beckman who was injured most of the year. There are plenty of options out there, whether we need more of a blocker or pass catcher they are there.

I think that with all the TE's and Centers (Mack, Unger, Luigs, Caldwell, Wood, and Shipley) this year that the Bills would be dumb to not draft the top TE in rd 2 and top C in rd 3 or vica versa. I really think the value will be there and the need is there without question. I would hate to hear the reasoning for passing on one of those guys to take another DB or some other player who is less talented and not as big a need...

I guess this assumes we fix our pass rush in round 1 then. Thats fine with me.

What happened to all the talk about Chase Coffman? I still think he is a top TE. But there seems to be a lot of options here for the Bills to jump on. Pettigrew, Coffman, Cook, Casey, Nelson.. Even Bear Pascoe, and dont forget about Travis Beckman who was injured most of the year. There are plenty of options out there, whether we need more of a blocker or pass catcher they are there.

I think that with all the TE's and Centers (Mack, Unger, Luigs, Caldwell, Wood, and Shipley) this year that the Bills would be dumb to not draft the top TE in rd 2 and top C in rd 3 or vica versa. I really think the value will be there and the need is there without question. I would hate to hear the reasoning for passing on one of those guys to take another DB or some other player who is less talented and not as big a need...

I think you have it right. 1st round draft either a DE or a pass rushing LB. Then take either a TE and C in rounds 2 and 3.

Pettigrew is someone I vacillate about a lot. Best case he's someone who really solidifies the team. Kills people blocking and makes timely contributions in the passing game.

I tend to think of him as a guy with a high floor and a low ceiling.

And I think back to Kyle Brady when I think of Pettigrew. When Brady was chosen 9th overall in 1995 by the Patriots he was consensus All American, Two-time All Big Ten...very decorated.

He measured 6'6" and 280 pounds and was very athletic. There were questions about his ability to separate.

He had a very long and undistinguished pro career.

I wish Jermaine Gresham had decided to come out this year. I don't think there's any questions about him.

After running a 4.87 and a 4.97 in the 40, he's not worth the 11th overall pick.

You're putting way too much emphasis on speed, IMO. His blocking and catching are outstanding. In the red zone you don't need speed you need a big target with sure hands. With a big TE and Hardy in the red zone it would pose a lot of problems for a defense.

I've been saying all along, that I wouldn't be upset at all with Pettigrew being our overall number #11. He to me seems like a sure thing. You know for sure that you are going to get a well above average blocker, and that at worst case an average recieving blocker, at worst. I think by making this pick, if it turns out this way, we will ensure us of having that Tight End that we so desperately need. He will no doubt be our best TE that we have had in a long time and maybe ever.

This silly argument that I always see here on this message board, criticizing picking a center or TE this early is a ridiculous argument. It tells me that these same people who make these arguments have been listening too much to the draft "gurus" or "experts". This argument never made sense to me. Every position on the offensive and defensive side of the ball is important. I'd much rather pick a very good TE with a 1st round pick then pick up a decent DE with my 1st round pick. If you've noticed, the positions that were considered "less" important like guard for instance are now starting to get paid much more comprable pay as the Tackle position. WHich leads me to believe that NFL teams are starting to realize that just about every position in Football is about as important as the next.

There's no such thing as a sure thing. At number 11 there are only justified picks and busts. JMO

40 are overrated. Especially for TEs. Pettigrew is a complete TE. He's a punishing blocker and a sure-handed receiver. I don't expect him to stretch the field or fly down the seam. I expect him to run block well and be a reliable target underneath for Trent. He's a big boy with good hands and he would get a lot of passes in our offense, serving as a safety valve, getting the check downs and dump offs. Pettigrew isn't a burner but he presents matchup nightmares due to his size.

I wouldn't have a problem with him at 11 at all. And that was a great article on him from nfl.com. I read it yesterday and almost posted it too.

The one incident gives me pause about his character but it may be a molehill instead of a mountain.

Those numbers from Jared Cook were very impressive. I really don't know much about him, what is your take on him H20 as a football player?

and Let's go Bills I absolutely agree with everything you just said.

This guy looks really good to me. Most of his negatives can be corrected with good coaching, IMO. Also was a WR and BB player before. Two things that are very good to have on your Resume if you're a TE prospect.

Jared Cook, TE

* Height: 6'5"

* Weight: 246

* College: South Carolina

* Conference: SEC

* Hometown: Suwanee, GA

* High School: North Gwinnett HS

Overview

Blessed with the combination of size and speed that led Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier to compare him to Detroit Lions star Calvin Johnson, Cook has the tools every scouting director is looking for in the new prototype NFL tight end. Despite less than eye-popping statistics (37 receptions for 573 yards and three touchdowns), Cook was nonetheless recognized by SEC coaches as a first-team all-conference selection in 2008 - perhaps due to his potential as a nightmare matchup for defenses. With steadier quarterback play by the Gamecocks, many believe Cook could have enjoyed a truly breakout performance. If he works out as well at the NFL Combine as he reportedly did for South Carolina coaches, the redshirt junior won't have to wait long to hear his name called on draft day. Had an arm span of 35 3/4 inches and a hand span of 10 1/4 inches at the combine.

High School

Graduated from North Gwinnett High School in 2005, where he played receiver and free safety for Coach Kyle Richardson... Caught 32 passes for 800 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior...First-team all-conference, all-state and Super 11 Team selection by The Atlanta Journal Constitution... Rated the 24th-best player in the state of Georgia and the 40th-best wide receiver in the country by Rivals.com...Played basketball and was regarded as one of the top hoopsters in the state.

Analysis

Positives: Rare athlete. Reportedly ran a 4.37-second 40-yard dash and posted a 39.5-inch vertical leap in 2007. Long, lanky build capable of handling additional mass without a significant loss of quickness. Good burst off the line of scrimmage to challenge the seam and can throttle down, sink his hips and create separation against even athletic defenders. Flashes natural hands for the reception. Can snatch passes outside of his frame due to his long arms and big hands. Good elusiveness after the catch and can accelerate past defenders for long gains. Good burst off the snap to get to the second level. Has the lateral agility to mirror and effectively block defenders in space.

Negatives: Not necessarily the sum of his parts. Often lined up wide in the Gamecocks' offense and may struggle to acclimate to a more pro-style offense. Relies on his athleticism rather than technique to get off the line of scrimmage. Tends to freelance a bit as a route-runner. Can make the spectacular catch, but is prone to lapses in concentration. Marginal effort and effectiveness as a blocker, especially in close quarters.

This dude looks great but his durability concerns, especially because they are foot related, gives me a lot of concern and I wouldn't want Buffalo to draft him because of that. His hometown is also Peculiar.

Chase Coffman, TE

* Height: 6'6"

* Weight: 244

* College: Missouri

* Conference: Big 12

* Hometown: Peculiar, MO

* High School: Raymore-Peculiar

Overview

Given a second-round grade last year by the NFL Advisory Committee and blessed with a combination of size, route-running and soft hands to emerge as an immediate NFL contributor, Coffman ranks as one of the elite pass-catchers of the 2009 draft. The 2008 Mackey Award winner finished with better production in just his senior campaign (90 receptions for 987 yards and 10 touchdowns) than some of his top-ranked competition enjoyed over their entire career. Despite his eye-popping production, Coffman isn't a player without warts. His already questionable speed has been lessened the past two years due to repeated foot injuries, including the broken toe that could keep him sidelined through the Combine. Had an arm span of 33 1/2 inches and a hand span of 9 3/4 inches at the combine.

High School

One of the most heralded signees in the 2005 class who was ranked as the No. 4 tight end prospect in the country by SuperPrep, and as the No. 19 tight end prospect in the nation by Rivals.com ... Ranked No. 3 overall recruit in the state of Missouri by Rivals.com and No. 7 by SuperPrep ... Was the winner of the 2004 Simone Award, which is given annually to the top player in the Kansas City metro area ... Teamed with QB and younger brother, Carson, to set numerous state receiving records, and helped lead Ray-Pec to a Class 5 state championship during an undefeated 2004 season (13-0 record) ... Had 3 catches for 56 yards and 1 TD in the title game, including a 14-yarder in the 3rd quarter that effectively put the game out of reach as Ray-Pec went on to a 37-18 win over McCluer North...Earned first-team all-state honors for three straight seasons, and was a two-time first-team all-district and all-conference pick ... Was named conference player of the year after catching 41 passes for 886 yards and 16 TDs as a senior in 2004 ... Preceded that with a stellar junior season of 50 receptions for 817 yards and 13 scores ... Burst onto the scene with a sophomore campaign that included 39 catches for 611 yards and 11 TDs ... An excellent athlete who lettered three years in basketball, and earned first-team all-conference honors in hoops in 2003-04 ... High school coach - Tom Kruse.

Analysis

Positives: Rare size potential for the position. Athletic enough to line up in a variety of positions, including split out wide, in motion or along the line of scrimmage. Good initial quickness off the snap. Has the lateral agility to avoid the jam at the line and get a clean release into his route. Uses his hands well in this area to break free from defenders when initially challenged. Good lateral quickness and body control to gain separation from defenders. Good balance and body control to make the acrobatic reception with defenders draped over him. Can make the tough catch in traffic and looks to get upfield to gain extra yardage. Reliable hands. Generally looks the ball into his hands to make the secure reception, but will trap the ball against his body when he anticipates a big hit. More physical as a blocker than you'd expect for a tight end split wide as often as he is. Provides a good initial jolt to the defender when blocking and gives good effort to sustain his blocks. Emerged as a standout as a true freshman. Good bloodlines. Father, Paul Coffman, was an NFL tight end for 10 years.

Negatives: Only marginal straight-line speed. Not a true deep seam threat. Flashes the physicality and toughness scouts want in a downfield blocker, but rarely blocks from a traditional three-point stance. Legitimate durability concerns following repeated foot injuries the past two seasons. Struggled for much of his senior season with turf toe and broke the fifth metatarsal in his left bone on the final play of the Alama Bowl. Played through recurring bone spurs as a junior that eventually resulted in corrective surgery in the offseason.

As for a DE:

This guy looks interesting but, with the drafting of Ellis last year and Schobel, hopefully, getting better DE is a low priority for the Bills. This guy looks like he would be available in the later rounds or UFA. TE may know him and he seems like he could surprise. I like tall DE's because they can force a QB to throw higher than they'd like and it can lead to Int's for the DB's. It also allows for more batted down passes.

Pannel Egboh, DE

* Height: 6'6"

*Weight: 267

* College: Stanford

* Conference: Pac 10

*Hometown: Mesquite, TX

* High School: North Mesquite

Overview

After only one season of high school football, Egboh was originally recruited to play defensive end in the 3-4 alignment, and he has the length and strength to transition back to this scheme at the next level. With the Cardinal switching to a 4-3 alignment in 2007, Egboh posted career highs in tackles for loss (13.5) and sacks (six) and appeared destined for greater things as a senior. Lacking the burst off the snap to leave offensive tackles off-balance, Egboh struggled as a senior, turning in a disappointing 3.5 tackles for loss and only 1.5 sacks. Without the speed to generate a consistent pass rush, Egboh could fall on draft day. His size and experience could be better utilized if drafted into a 3-4 scheme. In this alignment, Egboh could surprise and develop into a quality contributor early in his NFL career.

High School

Played tight end and defensive end for North Mesquite High School in Texas ... SuperPrep named him to their All-Southwest team ... First-team All-District 12-5A as a defensive end following his senior season ... He accounted for 54 tackles, four sacks, three fumble recoveries and three blocked field goals ... Played in a Wing-T offense that focused on running the ball ... Did not play football as a junior to focus on academics ... Played only one season of varsity football ... Named All-State Academic and McDonald's Scholar-Athlete following his senior season ... Also played basketball, earning two varsity letters.

Analysis

Positives: Legitimate NFL frame. ... Well-built athlete with the frame to add an additional 10-15 pounds without significant loss of quickness. ... At least adequate initial quickness off the snap. ... Uses his long arms well to fend off the blockers and disengage. ... Good key-and-diagnose skills. ... Team defender who understands his responsibility and fights to keep contain. ... Reads the action and has the flexibility to break down in space and make the tackle at the line of scrimmage. ... Good strength. ... Plays with good leverage despite his height and can push the tackle into the quarterback's passing lane. ... Athletic enough to occasionally be used on the zone blitz. ... Four-year starter.

Negatives: Bit of a "tweener." Lacks speed off the edge. Lacks the bulk to be moved inside to defensive tackle. ... Might be best served as a 3-4 defensive end due to his strength in keeping contain and providing an occasional pass rush. ... Good enough athlete to operate in the zone blitz, but lacks the straight-line speed or hip flexibility to make a seamless transition to outside linebacker full-time. ... Broken leg, which ended his 2005 season, must be checked.

He appears to best suited for a 3-4 but it doesn't appear that's exclusively true and if he's a late round or FA it wouldn't be a big gamble. JMO

I did not hear about Coffmans injury, good info though, thanks. I still think that he should be on the radar as far as fixing our TE problem. I wouldnt pass on a more talented player because of an injury for an obviously less talented player.

I did not hear about Coffmans injury, good info though, thanks. I still think that he should be on the radar as far as fixing our TE problem. I wouldnt pass on a more talented player because of an injury for an obviously less talented player.

I would take him off the board entirely. Great players have no impact on the bench. A chronic foot injury on a guy that big is a MAJOR issue IMO.

Good post Steely Dan <_< I only saw a couple of SC games this past season, but Cook didn't do much in those games. All of the announcers sang his praise and talked of his talent, but I never saw much on the field. I know they lined him up in the slot alot of times. His combine #'s are excellent, but the lack of production on the field makes you wonder if the guy is just an excellent athlete and not an excellent TE. I still like Casey, but I wouldn't mind having Pettigrew if we traded down to take him. The #11 slot is just too high for him to be taken. I hope that something works out for us on draft day as far as trading back into the late teens to early twenties in the 1st.

I would take him off the board entirely. Great players have no impact on the bench. A chronic foot injury on a guy that big is a MAJOR issue IMO.

You are right about there being no player a sure thing. But, I believe Pettigrew has a high chance of succeeding in this league. I would hate for us to draft a player just because he WOWED and impressed everyone at the combine. These combines are overrated. I can't comment too much on Cook because I havnt seen him play too much. However I did see Pettigrew play a few games and he has got NFL written all over him. He moves very well for someone of his size, he is quick, nifty and agile. In my view, He would be a very good fit for this team.

You are right about there being no player a sure thing. But, I believe Pettigrew has a high chance of succeeding in this league. I would hate for us to draft a player just because he WOWED and impressed everyone at the combine. These combines are overrated. I can't comment too much on Cook because I havnt seen him play too much. However I did see Pettigrew play a few games and he has got NFL written all over him. He moves very well for someone of his size, he is quick, nifty and agile. In my view, He would be a very good fit for this team.

I agree he has a lot of potential. I was just pointing out that nobody is a sure thing. A team has to take their chances on anyone they rate highly but the risk is always there.