Kitna anyone?

freester

Would seem like the perfect backup to me.

We don't need a QB from a 0-16 team that thinks god helps him win football games. If last years Lions had god on their side at 0-16, lets look for the best atheist QB we can find.

Wasn't Culpepper the QB last year?

They had many Qbs last year, Kitna started the year and got hurt. I live in Michigan, you don't want this guy, he finds ways to loose games. He thinks he's Brett Favre with none of his skills.

he is beyond awful and an absolute primadonna in his own bizarre way. I wouldn't want him anywhere near our team.

Agreed. To me Kitna's shtick is like what would happen if a martian came to Earth and had only 48 hours to learn how the leader of an NFL team should act.

They had many Qbs last year, Kitna started the year and got hurt. I live in Michigan, you don't want this guy, he finds ways to loose games. He thinks he's Brett Favre with none of his skills.

Not that I'm in love with Kitna, but who's a better option? Leftwich isn't coming here......A Veteran guy who can fill in for a couple games if needed. Isn't he the definition of the perfect #2?

Well so far 5 posters have said thumbs down to Kitna. Only one of them offered an alternative, Byron Leftwich.

Seeing as we need a backup quarterback, who does everyone think we should go after if not Kitna?

Here's his recent numbers. He played 4 games last year before getting injured. These are decent numbers but they came in a Mike Martz offense that tends to inflate QB numbers and give up a lot of sacks.

Season Team G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate

2007 Detroit Lions 16 16 355 561 63.3 4,068 7.3 18 20 51 320 80.9

2006 Detroit Lions 16 16 372 596 62.4 4,208 7.1 21 22 63 388 79.9

Here's his bio page: http://www.nfl.com/players/jonkitna/profile?id=KIT155733

He's put up good numbers in Cincinnati and Seattle so he's a capable quarterback, certainly much better than a Kelly Holcomb. He would probably come pretty cheaply and would settle for being the being the backup after a "staged" quarterback competition in preseason. IMHO he'd be the perfect guy for this year.

Seeing as we need a backup quarterback, who does everyone think we should go after if not Kitna?

I'd rather take a chance on an unknown or a draft pick and hope to catch lightning in a bottle like Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, or Derek Anderson (for one season at least). I'd rather go 0-16 and take a chance on someone than picking up a guy like Kitna who would only get you 6-8 wins. I'm sick of these 7-9 seasons. If we're going to miss the playoffs I'd rather miss them by a lot.

Not that I'm in love with Kitna, but who's a better option? Leftwich isn't coming here......A Veteran guy who can fill in for a couple games if needed. Isn't he the definition of the perfect #2?

Stats mean nothing. I live in Detroit, I worked for a TV station and covered this guy. He threw games away with bone head plays time after time. He can pi$$ away a win faster than JP. When another poster mentioned his rather bizzare shtick, he was right on. I'd be standing there at his locker during an interview listening on how god healed him so he could go in and win the game. I always wondered where god went after that game because Kitna and the Lions were the worst team in the NFL.

I'd rather take a chance on an unknown or a draft pick and hope to catch lightning in a bottle like Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, or Derek Anderson (for one season at least). I'd rather go 0-16 and take a chance on someone than picking up a guy like Kitna who would only get you 6-8 wins. I'm sick of these 7-9 seasons. If we're going to miss the playoffs I'd rather miss them by a lot.

Well that's true Karl that he'd probably only get us 6 or so wins if he was the starter but if he's the backup and he can win half the games he plays (due to an injury to Trent), well that would be an improvement over what we've had lately.

It seems like you might be saying you'd rather we get a new starter. That's a slightly different issue. Warner will cost a lot and the talk is that if he doesn't get the deal he wants from the Cards, he might retire (probably a negotiating ploy). I think Arizona will end up re-signing him.

Anderson is possible, I hear the Browns will pay his $5 million roster bonus due in March and then attempt to trade him. Paying his bonus will make him easier to trade. But he'll require trade compensation because he's under contract.

I think the Bills are pretty committed to Trent as the starter so while I'm not opposed to getting a developmental backup, I'd rather have a solid, experienced backup especially if by some miracle we're in contention late in the season and Trent does goes down. I think Kitna or Leftwich are the best options in that scenario.