The Spirit of the Law...

Mat-Su district officials say they do, indeed, provide services for hearing-impaired students.

There are three certified hearing-impaired teachers in the district, according to Scott Daugharty, assistant director of student support services. The district also employs two sign-language interpreters and hires four more as independent contractors.

"We don't ever want to say we can't provide the support for these children," Daugharty said. "But people like the mother you're discussing have chosen that culture of having numerous other deaf students around her daughter."

So they already provide support at her school for hearing impaired students but because this girls parents want her to go to a different school we're supposed to pick up the tab? I wonder how much terminating the sign language workers at her school would save the district? If they have to support a kid going to the special school ninety miles away then make all hearing impaired kids go to this school and terminate the sign language staff at her local school. That would make up some, if not all, of the added expenses.

I think a lot of the other kids wouldn't want that because they want to be close to home and already have friends in their local school. Put it up to a vote by the parents of the hearing impaired kids and whoever wins, wins and the district keeps the sign language interpreters or gets rid of them.

If the parents want her to go to that school they should have to take her. I never went to private school but I hope we aren't paying for the buses for those schools. If you want something bad enough you have to sacrifice for it. The state is already providing that school for free. The least a parent can do is take her their themselves.

Middle-school students from the Valley had never been bussed before, and that age group might be better off living at the school, state-appointed Hearing Officer Thomas J. Slagle found in fall 2007.

Also, I'm curious about what living at the school means. Are there dorms that are paid for by the tax payers there? If so then she has to stay there if they want her to be educated there enough and refuse to drive her themselves.

If the state is providing a special school that has a live in option that's free there and is providing sign language interpreters already at her local school then the state is going above and beyond what it should reasonably be asked to do.

They want their cake and to eat it too. Some sacrifices have to be made if you want special services for your kid.

For the 2007-2008 school year, Katelyn lived during the week with an aunt in Chugiak, putting a crunch on that family and leaving the girl out of birthdays and other family events, her mother said.

The kid is 90 miles away!! It's not impossible to pick the kid up for birthdays and such. Why not wait and celebrate birthdays on the weekends? These people are freaking unbelievable. Where do they expect the back bending to stop for them?

Another option is to load up the bus with packages to deliver Anchorage businesses or sell stolen stereos and TVs out of the back of it while she's at school. Make some money off of it too. I know that could never happen but it's a good idea. ;)