Garcia a Free Agent...would he be worth it in Buffalo?

Hsp08

He is no saviour but would bring some experience to Buffalo...don't know if he would settle as a back-up though.

Just a thought...what's yours?

the problem with garcia is he would beat out trent edwards by the 4th day of training camp.

I would consider Garcia as a backup, however, while I wouldn't be surprised if he would have made a better starter than Trent in 2008, that's not at all clear for next year, and the year after, he'd be 40.

I think Garcia's gonna hang'em up at some point this offseason.

I would take Garcia if he was brought in to give Trent competition... real competition.

If he was being brought in as a backup than I say its a bad idea. He is a very unorthdox qb and will divide the team WHEN trent gets hurt. Also he wont be able to serve as a mentor to Trent because his style jsut does not translate to Trents game.

Bring him in and open it up in training camp. May the best QB win, We need the best guy we can get out there playing this year. Not the guy who has poise and potential and upside etc. but is not the best TODAY. If Trent plays better than Jeff in pre season and practice, he's the man. If Jeff plays better, he's the man. If it stunts Trent's growth, so be it. Neither will probably be healthy enough to start all 16 games, so they'll both get to play.

I would consider Garcia as a backup, however, while I wouldn't be surprised if he would have made a better starter than Trent in 2008, that's not at all clear for next year, and the year after, he'd be 40.

I dont think so. The guy is one of those wiry athletic types who lasts a bit longer than the rest. Kinda like that guy in Oakland early this decade(spacing the name)...Gannon

Unless he is in a West Coast offense, Garcia won't work. Of the 5 or 6 teams he as been on in the last 7 or 8 years, the ones he truly excels on were in an open offense. When he was with a team like the Browns, who run an offense similar to Buffalo's, he is been below average.

Unless he is in a West Coast offense, Garcia won't work. Of the 5 or 6 teams he as been on in the last 7 or 8 years, the ones he truly excels on were in an open offense. When he was with a team like the Browns, who run an offense similar to Buffalo's, he is been below average.

cleveland just sucks.....u can open things up for him a bit ..we have enough weapons

I dont think so. The guy is one of those wiry athletic types who lasts a bit longer than the rest. Kinda like that guy in Oakland early this decade(spacing the name)...Gannon

Garcia's already outlasted the rest, basically, besides Vinny Testathuselah. Even Gannon retired at 39, and that after missing a season.

The Bills aren't a playoff team in '09 with Garcia, and by '10, I don't think he'll be in the league.

Garcia's already outlasted the rest, basically, besides Vinny Testathuselah. Even Gannon retired at 39, and that after missing a season.

The Bills aren't a playoff team in '09 with Garcia, and by '10, I don't think he'll be in the league.

good points...but Im looking at him as a back up---and he can do that for 2 yrs. And if Trent the brittle gets hurt at a critical time...welll.

You may be right.Especially if Jauron coaches like Jauron--and we dont get any DE help . The mediocre,hurt,old ,overrated and over the small hill schobel aint an answer.We need to score big in FA in the passrush dept...and Jauron needs to be fired...then the Garcia plan makes sense.

That's interesting, I hadn't even considered his retirement.

He would make a great get. He's a very smart guy, and would be an excellent tutor for Trent and if Trent were injured, Garcia would give us a chance.

Guest dog14787
That's interesting, I hadn't even considered his retirement.

He would make a great get. He's a very smart guy, and would be an excellent tutor for Trent and if Trent were injured, Garcia would give us a chance.

For lack of a better to describe it Garcia could walk hand in hand with the holy Trent and help lead the mighty, but sometimes stubborn and dumb, that's right I said it, dumb, Buffalo to greener pastures :rolleyes:

Seriously,in my opinion we should make a serious play for Garcia because he could for one, come in and win ball games, but more importantly, he could probably help Turk Shonert get the offense on Track with his vast experience. Garcia's a smart QB, he wins with his brains and he's been doing it for years, TE could learn allot from a QB like him.

The whole team could ;)

I would favor it based on football play, but oppose it because I do not think the the playoff starved Bills fans and the media like WGR and Sully who make their money out of fueling a QB controversy can deal productively with a QB who is arguably a potential starter on this team.

Garcia with a 90 or so rating as a QB and a 2-1 TD/INT ratio would simply be too tempting to be a starter for the Bills when Edwards has a bad game or even two bad games in a row as generally happens to even the good QBs in the NFL.

My sense is that the immaturity of a lot of the fan base and mercenary nature of the media would make it impossible to have a back-up here who meets the minimum criteria of a player who would give the Bills a winning shot when he is forced to fill in for the injury prone Edwards (I define injury prone as a player who misses PT 3 times in 2 seasons to different types of injuries).

Unfortunately, I think this team is limited to finding a Frank Reich clone to be our back-up (good enough to give you a shot in any game but in no way visualized as the starter or has the temperament to demand that) or it will be a very bad situation.

Garcia does not have the best arm but he know how to play in the cold. He starred in the CFL for a few years with Calgary...you want cold/windy, try Calgary in the winter :rolleyes:

He could potentially help the Bills win games and tutor Edwards with his experience...all if he is willing to take a bit of a different role....look at Kurt Warner last few seasons ;)

Um no. Garcia has cried at every place he has played yet. He always crys to the media. Yesterday after he was cut he cried some more "The Bucs don't want me anymore". Boo Hoo it might be because you are like 38 years old.