Thinking of moving to Florida......

Stl Bills

Alright I'm thinking of moving to Florida after I get my undergrad in electrical engineering from Washington University here in St. Louis (on track to graduate spring of 2011). Where do all you florida people recommend? I was originally thinking me and the old lady would just post up somewhere in the keys for a few years untill I realized that there aren't any jobs down there. Anyway a little backround on myself: I'm still pretty young, 25 about to be 26, so I would have to move somewhere thats not just a bunch of geriatrics, and has a decent job market (thats relative of course). I'm not married right now but I'm in a pretty serious relationship, so as much as it pains me to admit it ;) , theres a good chance that might not be the case two years from now. I'm familiar with the southeast having grown up in Midlothian, Va and having lived on St. Simons Island, Ga for 5 years and I'm just sick of cold weather.....would much rather spend a January evening drinking a beer in shorts next to my pool rather than shoveling my damn driveway (sorry Buffalonians for complaining....I know it could be worse). Right now, I'm thinking Tampa. Anybody got any advice? Thanks in advance.

I'm from Missouri as well and have been living in Miami for 2 years. Unless you can speak Spanish and love the big city, Miami isn't for you, but Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach isn't all that bad. The weather is all that is keeping us here right now.

Probably not wanted, but my advice is to just stay out of FL. I grew in FL and loved it. I left when I was about 20 and always expected to go back someday. I can't even describe the difference between now and then.

It's like a hole down there. I go back fairly regularly to see family and friends, and I swear it gets more depressing every time. The weather is getting unbearable, even to some of my family that have lived there for more than 30 years. I know it's worse to me cause I'm not used to the stifling heat anymore, but they agree. If it's an area worth living in, it's overcrowded and getting to extremes. I can't speak for everywhere, but I visit throughout the central area of the state (around Gainesville to Tampa). Add to that the hurricanes, which even if your not worried about them you have to deal with the insurance rate hikes all over the state, make life a pain in the ass.

Almost everyone I know down there plans on leaving. I know at least half a dozen who are just waiting for their houses to sell (tough business lately).

My advice if you want to stick to the southeast, go to the Carolinas or even back to VA. Some really nice places in that area of the country I think.

As for FL, of the places I have spent time, Tampa (or the outer lying areas) have been my favorite. When I was in school I used to love going down to to Tampa for weekends.

I'd have to agree with Virginia or the Carolinas. As soon as I can I'm getting the hell out of here. Tired of the lack of seasons and especially tired of one particular season- Hurricane season. Watch the weather like a hawk from June until November.

I'd have to agree with Virginia or the Carolinas. As soon as I can I'm getting the hell out of here. Tired of the lack of seasons and especially tired of one particular season- Hurricane season. Watch the weather like a hawk from June until November.

Got to admit - one of your better avatars.

My wife wants to head to North Carolina someday, probably when we get worn out by the cold weather.

I'm going to try to talk her into Raleigh-Durham...only a couple of hours away from her beloved beaches, yet far enough away to blunt a hurricane impact. And also far enough south so that the winters aren't too bad.

Cocoa Beach- Love it.

With your degree, NASA would be good- if not you could commute to Orlando.

I've been to Cocoa before, when I was a little kid and there was a shuttle launch when I was there....pretty cool, shook the entire restaraunt we were eating dinner at and everyone ran outside to watch. ;)

I have 5 branches under me down in Flordia. So I usually end up going there 3 or 4 times a year. I am also fairly familar with their economy. Florida(at least south florida) is a mess right now. The housing market has collapsed & is not going to get straightened out for the forseeable future. It is really dragging down the rest of the economy down there.With that being said, if your going to move down there & plan on staying there for awhile, you will find excellent opportunities for properties because the bottom has fallen out of the housing market, especially the high end condos. Buyer beware down there though. Alot of the properties even the houses have association fees. Those fees were originally based on maximum capacity within the association. I have seen horror stories of the association jumping people's fees by as much as $700-$800 a month because alot of the associations are only 25% full do to all the subprime mortgages that have gone bad over the last few years.

As far as the weather. I have never been impressed with South Florida's weather. Sure it is nice to go to the beach in December/January, but it is just constantly hot down there. Was there last October, & it was 90 degrees down there. Went golfing after my business meeting in the afternoon & it was just unbearable. It is one thing for nice weather, but I need a change of seasons. I have only been down there once in the summertime & you litterally would be drenched from sweat just walking to get into your car. There are nicer places to live if you want nice weather without the brutal conditions & a change of seasons like Carolinas, Virginia or even Northern Georgia.

Thanks to everybody for the advice, I have put some thought into going back to Virginia....Richmond area was a great place to grow up. The other area I'm really considering is Denver...I love Colorodo and the Mountains.

Alright I'm thinking of moving to Florida after I get my undergrad in electrical engineering from Washington University here in St. Louis (on track to graduate spring of 2011). I was originally thinking me and the old lady. Anyway a little backround on myself: I'm still pretty young, 25 about to be 26,

I saw something on ABC this mornings about older women marrying younger men. How old is your wife 55, 65 years old?

I have 5 branches under me down in Flordia. So I usually end up going there 3 or 4 times a year. I am also fairly familar with their economy. Florida(at least south florida) is a mess right now. The housing market has collapsed & is not going to get straightened out for the forseeable future. It is really dragging down the rest of the economy down there.With that being said, if your going to move down there & plan on staying there for awhile, you will find excellent opportunities for properties because the bottom has fallen out of the housing market, especially the high end condos. Buyer beware down there though. Alot of the properties even the houses have association fees. Those fees were originally based on maximum capacity within the association. I have seen horror stories of the association jumping people's fees by as much as $700-$800 a month because alot of the associations are only 25% full do to all the subprime mortgages that have gone bad over the last few years.

As far as the weather. I have never been impressed with South Florida's weather. Sure it is nice to go to the beach in December/January, but it is just constantly hot down there. Was there last October, & it was 90 degrees down there. Went golfing after my business meeting in the afternoon & it was just unbearable. It is one thing for nice weather, but I need a change of seasons. I have only been down there once in the summertime & you litterally would be drenched from sweat just walking to get into your car. There are nicer places to live if you want nice weather without the brutal conditions & a change of seasons like Carolinas, Virginia or even Northern Georgia.

That was part of the reason I was considering moving down there, just like Vegas right now its amazing the type of house you can get for the money....This is be offered for $245k (you could probably get something like this for about $200-$225 if you know what your doing.) Good advice as far as the association fees...add that to the insurance hike and it def. becomes something to consider.

Tallahassee is a hell of a college town...but not much else besides that. I'd recommend either Orlando or Tampa for the best job opportunities.

I know you said you were in a serious relationship, so isn't your relocation going to be determined by which team drafts Chase Coffman? :censored:

Probably not wanted, but my advice is to just stay out of FL. I grew in FL and loved it. I left when I was about 20 and always expected to go back someday. I can't even describe the difference between now and then.

It's like a hole down there. I go back fairly regularly to see family and friends, and I swear it gets more depressing every time. The weather is getting unbearable, even to some of my family that have lived there for more than 30 years. I know it's worse to me cause I'm not used to the stifling heat anymore, but they agree. If it's an area worth living in, it's overcrowded and getting to extremes. I can't speak for everywhere, but I visit throughout the central area of the state (around Gainesville to Tampa). Add to that the hurricanes, which even if your not worried about them you have to deal with the insurance rate hikes all over the state, make life a pain in the ass.

Almost everyone I know down there plans on leaving. I know at least half a dozen who are just waiting for their houses to sell (tough business lately).

My advice if you want to stick to the southeast, go to the Carolinas or even back to VA. Some really nice places in that area of the country I think.

As for FL, of the places I have spent time, Tampa (or the outer lying areas) have been my favorite. When I was in school I used to love going down to to Tampa for weekends.

I've never lived in Florida so I find your comments interesting. When I've visited I've hated it.

I did live in Knoxville, TN for several years and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a small city. The University adds a lot to the city ... great sports ... entertainment. For me the restaurant scene was a little slow. Weather is great .. four distinct seasons with the Spring and Fall being spectacular. Lots of outdoor life nearby ... hiking, biking, boating, golf, fishing etc. Cost of living is very reasonable.

Tallahassee is a hell of a college town...but not much else besides that. I'd recommend either Orlando or Tampa for the best job opportunities.

I know you said you were in a serious relationship, so isn't your relocation going to be determined by which team drafts Chase Coffman? :blink:

No, Its not soley based off that, I always have the option of moving to Cleveland and starting the Martin Rucker fanclub. :censored:

No, Its not soley based off that, I always have the option of moving to Cleveland and starting the Martin Rucker fanclub. :censored:

We'd welcome you with open arms, but the weather sucks right now. :blink:

Really, the weather in Cleveland from early May until mid-November is terrific. I love the summers here, and besides the fact that my family is here, the summers are a big reason why I've stayed.