More People Will Quit Smoking

Yep. it's official. It says so right here. The results were determined after a "study." The thing is, the study was federally funded.

What were they thinking, that less people would quit if they were paid to do so? Really, wtf? :thumbsup: This is also one that can't be blamed on Obama. The research started in 2005.

I really do know that this by itself is not the reason that we are mired in a depression, but the mentality did contribute to our mess imo. I would rather see the money go to the hiring of 1 cop, fireman or teacher than to this self evident, wastful nonsense.

God help us.

Yep. it's official. It says so right here. The results were determined after a "study." The thing is, the study was federally funded.

What were they thinking, that less people would quit if they were paid to do so? Really, wtf? :wallbash: This is also one that can't be blamed on Obama. The research started in 2005.

I really do know that this by itself is not the reason that we are mired in a depression, but the mentality did contribute to our mess imo. I would rather see the money go to the hiring of 1 cop, fireman or teacher than to this self evident, wastful nonsense.

God help us.

Obama put forth and his Congress approved a 61 cent federal tax increase to provide more free insurance for kids. Make 42K and have 2 kids - free insurance. In some States - 63K. Believe me - there is no longer any reason to work and earn more than 15K in America. As long as you are a voter, you will get everything in your life for free. I see that this "bail-out" bill reduces FICA/Medicare tax for folks that don't pay any Fed income tax in the first place. What's that? 40% of the population?

Cigarette tax money extracted from people who will die young (and cheaply). How caring... :thumbsup:

You know what happened to the grab of tobacco profits...all States did little to aid non-smoking efforts - they just piled the 200 billion of cash into their coffers for other purposes.

OH just had a glitch. their Governor, Ted Strickland, wanted to use the rest of their boodle for the general fund; some judge blocked him - had the nerve to agree that the rest of the money was meant for smoking cessation.

BTW, cig tax is the 4th largest source of income for the OH State government. Do you not question the morality of that?

What if smokes were made illegal? What if State taxes rise (ave. $400 in OH) to make up for the taxation dying smokers now pay for?

Will you pay that, Bill?

More people will quit smoking if you let them die from the lung cancer.

Government needs to stay the !@#$ out of it.

Aren't they doing that already?

ps - I wonder if the government will finance the stop smoking campaign through higher cigarette taxes

ps - I wonder if the government will finance the stop smoking campaign through higher cigarette taxes

Can we cut out the middle man here?

Let's just raise taxes on anybody who works. Take that revenue and spend it on a campaign discouraging people from working, and telling them how to get welfare and foodstamps instead.

Can we cut out the middle man here?

Let's just raise taxes on anybody who works. Take that revenue and spend it on a campaign discouraging people from working, and telling them how to get welfare and foodstamps instead.

Now there's an idea with traction!