If Mack Is Going To Be Such A Dominating Center

BuffaloBaumer

Mack is not a good fit for our offense. He is not a player worthy of the number 11 pick and may not come off the board until late second round.

I think you've been listening to other people's opinion too much. I've seen that stated here a few times. The fact of the matter is that he has proven not just for USC but in the senior bowl that he is very stout against the bullrush. Plus he's pretty frickin big. So that argument that he doesn't fit in our offensive scheme just doesn't fly with me and probably lots of other talent and player personnel scouts. Some very lucky team will have the opportunity to draft this man.

well why doesn't ralph's daughter ever get fired? She's been in the scouting department since polian was around.

My point exactely! At least Polian HAD successfull drafts and free agent pickups and (although I'm sure she's just a token hire) at least she was associated with some good pick ups and draft choices versus Tom Modrak who has been in charge since the time we began to miss the playoffs.

Center is a BIG priority-Our AFC East opponenets have great Nosetackles and this position is a necessity. Trade down but stay in the top 20 and pick up another pick, if we can then its a great selection. Leave it to "live in Florida" Tom Modrak to take another "reach" who doesnt pan out. Why Ralph still has this guy is beyond me, our draft picks have NOT been all that great and Modrak is still the only carry over. Why he allows this guy to not even live in Buffalo is beyond me.

It is the biggest. It won't matter how many sacks the defence gets, or if they become the #1 overall defence, they won't be any better then they were this year if they don't improve the offence. This years defence, even though there are plenty of areas for improvement, wasn't the reason for the Bills mediocre season, they were good enough to get the Bills into the playoffs. The horrible offence was the reason why they didn't make the playoffs. Trent and the offence struggled heavily against 3-4 teams with big nose tackles, something an improvement at centre should help greatly. Fowler and Preston are backups at best, the Bills need a serious upgrade here or else it won't matter wehere the defence is ranked unless they also score all the points too

Agree, John.

How about Birk on a 2-year contract and Eric Wood from Louisville?

:)

The question is whether Birk would agree to a short deal like that. It would be an admission that his career is near completion, already having 11 years under his belt. If the price is right, though, this would be ideal, esp. if would is going to be there in the 3rd.

Jason Brown.

It'll be a bit tricky for the Ravens to keep him in light of Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, Terrell Suggs, Jim Leonhard, and Matt Stover all being free agents. Maybe just maybe he'll hit the open market. He's younger than Birk or Saturday and is a street brawler/mauler who gets high marks for leadership too. When all things are considered (age, ability, upside, etc) he's the free agent center who is most coveted league-wide. Crossing my fingers. Maybe a pipe dream but I'm crossing my fingers.

I really would not have a problem getting him at #11. This would obviously mean they have to get a DE in FA. In order to solidify that anchor on the line for a decade, I would have no problem with this supposed " reach".

If they don't get him there, I would do whatever needs to be done to go back in the first to snag him. I think this would open up the Offense TREMENDOUSLY.

I agree completely. The latest mock draft I looked at on the web had Mack going at the very bottom of the first round to the Steelers. If the kid anchors the Steelers' O-line for the next 12 years, and perhaps becomes a perennial Pro Bowler in the process, why should anybody at One Bills drive care if drafting him at 11 would be considered a freakin' "reach" by the millions of draft experts out here? Especially when the Bills have such a need at center.