Why can't we get a #1 for Henry?

ofiba

"Why can't we get a #1 for Henry?" Because none of the GMs in the league are stupid.

94171[/snapback]

So i guess trading a #1 for peerless was a smart move then? I'm not saying i think travis is worth a 1st rounder, but i do think we can get one for him if we find the right trade partner.

Why give up anything at all when a team can wait for free agency and get any one they want for nothing?

Run the Ball makes good points too

93754[/snapback]

I don't know why it seems so far fetched that we couldn't get a #1 for Henry. Perhaps it's more realistic to get a #2, but it's certainly very possible. GMs aren't going to fault him for this year's performance given his situation and will give up a #1 if they believe Henry will take them to the next level. Best example is probably Philly. Interest in Henry from these other teams could force Philly to send the #1:

Miami

NY Jets

Oakland

Minnesota

Atlanta

Tampa Bay

Arizona

Philly is one of the better managed teams in the league. They traded Brandon Whiting + a 5th rounder for Terrell Owens, who is a far, far better player than Travis Henry. They're not going to give up a first rounder for Henry. He can't block, he is injury prone, he's fumble prone, and the shelf life for most running backs is well known to be short. 3rd round is about where I'd put my expectations.

They traded Brandon Whiting + a 5th rounder for Terrell Owens, who is a far, far better player than Travis Henry.

94207[/snapback]

That was a weird situation where the ravens were pretty much forced to trade away TO because he complained.

because running backs are a dime a dozen these days, when 4th and 5th rounders run for 1000 yards a year, who needs a 1st round RB, henry is tough to tackle but doesn't see the field well, doesn't pick up the blitz well, and is hurt. If someone were to offer a 2nd and a 5th, If I were TD I'd jump on that.

I don't want TD to have another 1st rounder anyways

Oakland is an interesting possibility for a couple of reasons. #1) Norv Turner loves tough, stocky runners who can just grinds out the yards (which, up until this year...Henry was). #2) Turner has seen what Henry can do, being on the Miami staff last year. #3) Al Davis LOVES to get players who were unwanted in one place and then attempt to turn them around.

The only problem with a trade with Oakland at the end of the season is that The Raiders may have too high a draft pick. If the Bills do trade Travis for a 1st rounder (unlikely in my opinion), it'll be a mid-to-late 1st rounder, not a top 10 pick. Just for ***** and giggles, I'd trade with the Falcons again...might as well give them the player that was replaced with their first rounder.

I am betting that Buffalo will be lucky to get a 4th or 5th next year.  If that is true, I would also bet that Buffalo decides to keep Henry as the #2 back and makes him play out his contract.  If Henry is on this team next year, that is how that played out and you may never know about it. 

Why would Buffalo trade him if they only get a 4th or 5th knowing they still have to draft a capable backup. 

93750[/snapback]

Correct, except I think they could get a 3rd rounder for him.

I'm not saying we will, but you can't say its impossible.  We traded away Peerless who had 1 good year and got a #1 for him.  Travis has had 2 1300 yard seasons.  Anyone remember what Rob Johnson went for?? Was it a 1 and 4?  I think what we get for Travis all depends on the backs in the draft and who is desperate for a rb. I do think we can get a #1 for him.

93686[/snapback]

Jimmy Johnson and those guys think we can...they said so yesterday....but what do they know. ;)

I am predicting right now that the Bills will get NOTHING for Travis. I don't mean nothing as a metephor for a 5th or 6th rounder, I mean NOTHING.

Every team in the league realizes that the Bills will not keep both Willis and Travis at the end of the season and therefore Travis will have to be cut. At that point he is a Free agent and can be picked up by any team. Any team that traded for him would be getting a player in the last year of a contract and would have to resign him to at least a big a deal as he would get on the open market.

No team is going to give away a draft pick (especially a high pick) for a player that will end up getting cut.

The rest of the league is in the driver's seat on this one, not Donahoe.

If TD can get a #1 for Peerless

and BB can get a #1 for Drew,

anything's possible... I just don't see it happening though.

If TH knows his role & shuts his mouth,

better to keep him as a backup as others have said

IF you can't get premium value for him.

I am predicting right now that the Bills will get NOTHING for Travis. I don't mean nothing as a metephor for a 5th or 6th rounder, I mean NOTHING.

Every team in the league realizes that the Bills will not keep both Willis and Travis at the end of the season and therefore Travis will have to be cut. At that point he is a Free agent and can be picked up by any team. Any team that traded for him would be getting a player in the last year of a contract and would have to resign him to at least a big a deal as he would get on the open market.

No team is going to give away a draft pick (especially a high pick) for a player that will end up getting cut.

The rest of the league is in the driver's seat on this one, not Donahoe.

94414[/snapback]

You're wrong. If Travis had a huge contract, you may be on the right track, but the fact is, the guy has only one year left on his deal, and it's at a reasonable salary. If Willis keeps progressing the way he is right now, you dangle Travis for a top 60-75 pick. If you can't get that, you keep him for one more year. Then he becomes a free agent after the 2005 season, he signs with another team, and we perhaps get a compensation pick for him. That would be better than a fifth or sixth round selection, and it wouldn't be a slap in Travis' face.

The other thing you are forgetting is that there WILL be competition for his services. Sure if its one team, they may say "4th round or forget it" to force our hands. But if oakland is saying that we simply ask phily, and they might say fine, we will give you a third rounder for him, and the bidding escalates from there. Our hands are NOT tied here. He is under contract with us. If some other team (philly) would rather draft a guy like Ronnie Brown with their first round pick...rather than have travis, so be it. There arent alot of good backs in this draft. Carnell williams and Cedrick Benson. Thats about it.