Drafting Defensive Tackles in the 1st Round

This is why I never get into the draft much....

Some fans right here on this board are labeling James Hardy a bust.

There s no such thing as patience anymore in Buffalo.

I realize it has been 10 years since the playoffs, but you can't FAST FORWARD the process with rookies

Many of us are hoping that Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji is there for us to pluck at #11 overall.

Keep in mind though that if that were to happen he might not make a huge impact right away. For purposes of this discussion I'm going to post where these players were drafted and what their Scout's Inc grade was at the time. Presently Raji gets a grade of 97.

In 2006 as has been stated many times on these pages, we took Donte Whitner (#8 overall, 94 grade) when Haloti Ngata (#12 overall, 96 grade) and Broderick Bunkley (#14, overall, 97 grade) were still available. Both of those tackles are excellent players now but were pretty inconsequential their rookie years. Ngata had a bigger impact as a rookie.

In 2007, the Houston Texans selected Amobi Okoye (#10 overall, 95 grade). He's a promising player but has not become an impact player yet.

In 2008, Kansas City took Glenn Dorsey (#5, 98 grade) and New Orleans took Sedrick Ellis (#7 overall, 97 grade). But players showed flashes of excellence but also the typical inconsistency associated with being a rookie at the position.

So in short, if you're hoping for an impact player at #11, don't hold your breathe. Whoever we draft will probably make a bigger impact their second year.

If he is there just take him no need to overthink it.

Exactly!! Good teams think about draft results in the long term.

The fact is we need a pass rush, and if we have to take more than a year to get it...so be it. I just think we would be better off trading down and getting lineman in rounds two and three that could fill holes on both sides of the trenches. That and a little more help in free agency and I think we will be in contention for the playoffs.

I believe his original argument was that a defensive front is important enough that you should spend valuable assets to build one. I couldn't have given a fart in the wind about how they went about arguing about it.

What I do give a fart about is that he then continually stalked and harassed the guy all over the board, regardless of the subject he was discussing, to the point where one of the most insightful posters we've ever had got tired of it and left. And all the rest of us got out of the deal was the continued presence of some self-important little dillhole who couldn't tell the difference between a draw and a trap.

The board is a worse place today because of ramius' continuing misplaced superiority. And he still just keeps at it. Who's he going to annoy out of here next?

A draw is the play where the WR runs in a straight line as far as possible and they throw him a deep ball, right? And i think a trap is when the defense sends the CB on a blitz? Either way, i hope the Bills run more of those plays next year so marshawn lynch can cross home plate and score a goal.

I do find it funny that you accuse me of stalking AKC, yet conveniently forget that he followed me around calling me WRamius and misquoting my posts for the better part of a month. As for him leaving, its not my fault that he can't handle the fact he posted some complete and utter bullcrap and got called out for it.

the game is won and lost in the trenches IMO, and the Bill sneed help on both the OL or DL..

IMO we should be looking hard at #11 at bolstering the OL or the DL. A DE DT or OT at #11 works for me... but we need to get some solid FA additions just the same