Donte Whitner

IndyJay1234

Hey Dean,

Well, he missed 3 games this year, and wasn't he playing with a bad knee also. Got toasted pretty good

1 game I think in pass coverage.

I think he has had two minor injuries and missed 4 games, total, in three years. And he played at the end of the year, when maybe he shouldn't have.

But, in 2007 and again in 2008 (until he got hurt), he played on virtually every defensive snap, for most of the year. He is far from a player who is often injured. He's a war horse. Sanders is an oft-injured player.

Yes, he got toasted a couple of times, I think, in 2008. Once before he was injured.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wallbash::worthy:

Donte is on his first contract, how much do you think he makes?

Whitner made under $2 mil, last year and he tops out at under $2.5 in 2010. He will NOT be taking a pay cut, no matter where he goes.

Do people even think, and do a little research, before they post?

Thank you Dean.

Yes before people start blathering about pay cuts it's usually a good idea to know how much that player is actually making and what the average is at that position.

Wow, what uncommonly common sense. Actually this has been for the most part, a decent thread. My faith is being restored. Thanks all.

I was pretty die-hard in supporting Donte, but he lost me with the "if trent edwards were playing, we'd be 6-0" after the defense in a game HE PLAYED IN gave up 41 or 48 points, whatever it was.

Yeah, I did not understand why he said that, but everybody makes mistakes I guess. Sometimes it's just best to hold your tongue and not even grant an interview to the media if you're feeling overly frustrated.

The Bills have suffered from an overall lack of talent for so long that fans try to make something out of a player that just isnt there. The reason Donte isnt put into robber ("freelance" in Dean's non football lingo) type coverages is because he lacks the instincts and ball skills to make a play on the ball and the coaches know that. The reason why they stopped using him down in the box was because he was getting washed out anytime he was put there (long before his injury). The Bills fans fell in love with him and attributed a lot of the early season success to him because of his (failed) prediction and his cheapshot on the Raiders 4th string WR. The bottom line on Whitner is that he will never be an impact type player because his skill set is limited. He is small, does not play with speed and has zero ball skills. So Donte haters, lower your expectations of him! Be happy that he is versatile, generally healthy and respected leader.

The reason why they stopped using him down in the box was because he was getting washed out anytime he was put there (long before his injury).

I have to wonder if people just make s#it up, or are completely delusional. Whitner had 104 tackles in his rookie season, and 89 in 2007, when they had to use him more in coverage. In 2008, again, they moved him out of the box, after the bye, when Youboty got hurt. Still, despite playing in coverage for most of the year, out for 3 games,and playing injured the rest of the year, he still compiled 67 tackles.

For Christ's sake, look at the game logs. Obviously, you weren't paying attention during the games.

I always forget how young that he is. This will probably be a good year for the Bills to redo his contract, because honestly, his stock can probably only go up from here.

I would be happy if we traded him. He gets injured a lot because he is too small to play such a physical position trying to always hit much bigger men. Also, he does not make many big or game changing plays. When your biggest play of the year is tackling a receiver 7 yards deep in the end zone, nothing more needs to be said.

I have to wonder if people just make s#it up, or are completely delusional. Whitner had 104 tackles in his rookie season, and 89 in 2007, when they had to use him more in coverage. In 2008, again, they moved him out of the box, after the bye, when Youboty got hurt. Still, despite playing in coverage for most of the year, out for 3 games,and playing injured the rest of the year, he still compiled 67 tackles.

For Christ's sake, look at the game logs. Obviously, you weren't paying attention during the games.

Games logs are not going to tell you how he gets engulfed in the box. Remember the Sammy Morris hit? Down in the box right? Yeah I know, that was probably the only time he was down in the box since the Youghboty injury. And the reason, genius, why he has made so many tackles in the past is because the Bills front seven has been awful since he has been here. Triplett, Williams, Kelsey, John D, Poz, and Ellison are not exactly making plays on the other side of the LOS. Face it, he is limited and the coaches know that. I am not saying he sucks, he's just not the "elite" safety that some MADE hime out to be. He is an average safety who will never approach greatness.

Games logs are not going to tell you how he gets engulfed in the box. Remember the Sammy Morris hit? Down in the box right? Yeah I know, that was probably the only time he was down in the box since the Youghboty injury. And the reason, genius, why he has made so many tackles in the past is because the Bills front seven has been awful since he has been here. Triplett, Williams, Kelsey, John D, Poz, and Ellison are not exactly making plays on the other side of the LOS. Face it, he is limited and the coaches know that. I am not saying he sucks, he's just not the "elite" safety that some MADE hime out to be. He is an average safety who will never approach greatness.

Nothing like displaying your lack of intelligence. Whiner got "run over" by Sammy Morris because morris put a helmet directly into Donte's injured shoulder. He crumpled on impact, not because he got "jacked up", but because he got smacked in the separated shoulder. Notice how he didn't get up and had to be helped off the field after that play, his shoulder hanging limply at his side.

Epic destruction by the great Sammy Morriss..lol :D

Nothing like displaying your lack of intelligence. Whiner got "run over" by Sammy Morris because morris put a helmet directly into Donte's injured shoulder. He crumpled on impact, not because he got "jacked up", but because he got smacked in the separated shoulder. Notice how he didn't get up and had to be helped off the field after that play, his shoulder hanging limply at his side.

Yeah and thats called playing football. Why make excuses for him? Its called it poor tackling technique. Sammy is 230lbs and DW is 200lbs. You dont put your head down, you take his legs out... Football 101. If you are on the field there are no excuses. Its not like that was the first time he was run over, blown by, took a bad angle or straight up whiffed on a tackle. All the Donte lovers do is make excuses for the guy! No pass rush, he was hurt, lack of talent around him. Green Bay's S Nick Collins had a great season and his defense was terrible! Adrian Wilson has played on terrible defenses but has always performed at a pro bowl level. Niether defense is loaded with talent and both teams only had a few more sacks then the Bills. Players make plays regardless of who is around them, DW is just not a very good player.

Yeah and thats called playing football. Why make excuses for him? Its called it poor tackling technique. Sammy is 230lbs and DW is 200lbs. You dont put your head down, you take his legs out... Football 101. If you are on the field there are no excuses. Its not like that was the first time he was run over, blown by, took a bad angle or straight up whiffed on a tackle. All the Donte lovers do is make excuses for the guy! No pass rush, he was hurt, lack of talent around him. Green Bay's S Nick Collins had a great season and his defense was terrible! Adrian Wilson has played on terrible defenses but has always performed at a pro bowl level. Niether defense is loaded with talent and both teams only had a few more sacks then the Bills. Players make plays regardless of who is around them, DW is just not a very good player.

Donte didn't put his head down. Try some reading comprehension. Morris put his own helmet directly into donte's injured shoulder. The impact of a 230 lb man's helmet on a separated shoulder is going to crumple anyone.

You might wanna watch the play again Ramius!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmRszdeJs5s

Just like when i saw it at the game from 11 rows up behind the Bills bench. Morris hit Whitner square on his separated shoulder. Notice how Whitner lay motionless on the field? That's because he got hurt. If someone simply got "trucked," they'd get up and go after the tackler, not lay motionless for a few minutes.

Then again, i suppose you think Kevin Everett got "trucked" as well.

Just like when i saw it at the game from 11 rows up behind the Bills bench. Morris hit Whitner square on his separated shoulder. Notice how Whitner lay motionless on the field? That's because he got hurt. If someone simply got "trucked," they'd get up and go after the tackler, not lay motionless for a few minutes.

Then again, i suppose you think Kevin Everett got "trucked" as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmRszdeJs5s

You might want to watch it again. Donte tries to put his head down, Sammy gets lower and thats how that happened. Football 101: The low man always wins! And if you think the only reason that he layed there on the field was because he was hurt you are an idiot! He was embarASSed (because SM knocked him on hi A**) and he got sympathy from all of the Donte lovers. AND IT WORKED!!! A seperated schoulder is brutal but it doesn't keep you on your back.