Peria Jerry "Flabby, Gut, Bad Love Handles" - Senior Bowl Of

Thurman#1

Matt McGuire of Walter Football was at the Senior Bowl weigh-ins, and posted the real weights, as well as his own impressions of the bodies of the candidates. Some of them are really funny. Many very interesting.

link for defensive players: http://www.walterfootball.com/senior...hindefense.php

link for offensive players: http://www.walterfootball.com/senior...hinoffense.php

A lot of these guys are of great interest to the Bills, Mack, Unger, Luigs, Wood, Caldwell, Maualuga, Raji, Cushing and Peria Jerry as a few examples. Originally, I was looking mostly at centers, so I have a lot of data on them, and here is that, to start:

Luigs was listed at only 302 at the Senior Bowl. People had thought he was around 320. Unger 299. Mack is the biggest at 312. Wood 304.

McGuire has a section called "Notes on Body Type" at the same link, and some of them are hilarious. For TE Travis McCall, "Flabby, fat butt." For OL Herman Johnson "Small boobs, carries weight extremely well, vine arms."

Anyway, the centers were listed as:

Mack "Average"

Luigs "Big lower body, impressive back,"

Unger "Little gut, average"

Wood "Solid with some muscle definition"

Antoine Caldwell "Soft, flabby, unimpressive." Interesting.

You can click a link to look at the defensive players and:

Peria Jerry 290 "Flabby, gut, bad love handles,"

B.J. Raji 334 "Overweight, gut, man boobs"

Brian Cushing 243 "Huge, ripped, action figure body"

Rey Maualuga 254 "Unimpressive, not ripped"

I'd hate to have to stand up to the same level of scrutiny, and I'm in pretty decent shape.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can look at their physiques in several ways. Raji, for instance, created havoc when he was overweight. If he has some self-discipline, he will greatly improve his body, and probably his strength, in an NFL strength-training program with diet assistance. And the guys who are already cut, solid and big could be said to be close to their ceilings (though there might be a lot of room for improvement, it's hard to tell), but have probably already shown a lot of mental discipline in perfecting themselves. Or maybe they just are lucky and have fast metabolisms.

It was interesting for me, anyway, to find this.

We may have to bring your sexuality into question here.

I'm just kidding. Obviously your body type will depend on the position you play but fitness is as important as anything in football. You want guys who are in shape so as to avoid injury and maintain high levels of play as games and the season wears on.

OLB is one of our needs and with top prospect Curry likely to be gone you have to like Cushing's size and USC pedigree. Although I'm not advocating we take him at 11.

I heard those comments about Jerry - and then he promptly put on a dominating performance in the practices.

Think about it this way - if a guy looks like he's in kind of crappy shape, but is ultra-productive in college, doesn't it follow that once he's in better shape he'll be even more dominant? Meanwhile prospects that are in ridiculous shape may not have that much more they can improve physically.

I heard those comments about Jerry - and then he promptly put on a dominating performance in the practices.

Think about it this way - if a guy looks like he's in kind of crappy shape, but is ultra-productive in college, doesn't it follow that once he's in better shape he'll be even more dominant? Meanwhile prospects that are in ridiculous shape may not have that much more they can improve physically.

I've read multiple reports that say Jerry's frame is maxed out and he has little to no room for any more bulk. A guy who's in shape says he cares about his fitness and is dedicated to his craft.

In college you can get by on just raw talent, but in the pros you need to have a great work ethic and commitment to go along with it.

I've read multiple reports that say Jerry's frame is maxed out and he has little to no room for any more bulk. A guy who's in shape says he cares about his fitness and is dedicated to his craft.

In college you can get by on just raw talent, but in the pros you need to have a great work ethic and commitment to go along with it.

that is the concern - work ethic. agreed - but there are a lot of workout freaks that stink in the NFL but wow at weigh ins - while guys like Bruce Smith are flabby and dominant coming out and become hall of famers once they dedicate themselves under a pro program.

however it doesn't make much sense that Jerry could be simultaneously flabby, with a gut and love handles, while also being "maxed out."

that is the concern - work ethic. agreed - but there are a lot of workout freaks that stink in the NFL but wow at weigh ins - while guys like Bruce Smith are flabby and dominant coming out and become hall of famers once they dedicate themselves under a pro program.

however it doesn't make much sense that Jerry could be simultaneously flabby, with a gut and love handles, while also being "maxed out."

Guys like Bruce Smith are RARE.

The best DTs are the ones that consistently draw double teaming so the linebackers can do their thing. I don't care about their stat numbers.

There's all sorts of DTs. There are guy like the ones you mentioned, the Casey Hamptons, Sam Adams, Pat Williams types. But, there are those who can tie up blockers and also get stats: Abert Haynesworth and Kevin Williams are but two of these types. I'd take any of these types over the ones we have now.

There's all sorts of DTs. There are guy like the ones you mentioned, the Casey Hamptons, Sam Adams, Pat Williams types. But, there are those who can tie up blockers and also get stats: Abert Haynesworth and Kevin Williams are but two of these types. I'd take any of these types over the ones we have now.

UC's Terrill Byrd would be a worthwhile 2nd day pick.

There definitely isn't a correlation between how ripped a players body is and his ability to play football.

Yeah? How many fat WRs have you seen lately? DEs? There's a HUGE correlation. Taking into consideration position, you'd even increase it.

The least "cut" positions are usually DTs, especially DTs of the "space eater" type, and interior OLs, especially guards. Centers in most schemes have to run, so they don't usually get to put on weight.

However, a fat guy who loses weight almost always increases his quickness, his stamina, and those are key at every single position out there.

Tarik Glenn was voted to have the worst physique in the NFL multiple times IIRC. But he was good enough to protect Peyton Manning's blindside from 98-06.

If they can play football it's all that mattered.

Those guys are exceptiions. And yes there are a few. But for every Tarik Glenn, there are two dozen guys like Jerry Crafts, Jamie Nails, hell, you know the names, guys who ate themselves out of the league. Fridge Perry had the talent to play for 20 years, but he couldn't keep himself in shape. There's a lot of talk that McCargo comes into camp fat every year and that's at least part of the reason he hasn't played well.

In our system, the d-line guys run to the whistle every play. The ability to do that is severely limited for fat guys.

Yeah? How many fat WRs have you seen lately? DEs? There's a HUGE correlation. Taking into consideration position, you'd even increase it.

The least "cut" positions are usually DTs, especially DTs of the "space eater" type, and interior OLs, especially guards. Centers in most schemes have to run, so they don't usually get to put on weight.

However, a fat guy who loses weight almost always increases his quickness, his stamina, and those are key at every single position out there.

weren't we talking about DT's? Think about it for a sec, maybe %20 of the good DT's in the NFL have a body to be considered not "obese".