Friggin stock market!!!!

BuffaloBill

I was somewhat lucky last year as I pulled a big chunk of my investments back to cash before the worst hit. I was thinking about getting back in but the market has pretty much been sideways with downside pressure. Everything that was going to get wacked has been so no good short candidates either. We had an economist in last week (at the office) the guy was very pessimistic as none of the leading indicators are showing any health. He did say he looked for signs of turnaround 4Q this year but at this point it is just a guess. Market tends to be a 6 - 9 month leading indicator so we are in a window where it should be stabilizing if his analysis is correct.

BTW – do not take this post as being any sort of advice about what you should do with investments. It is just my lame expression of frustration as I watch my potential retirement date slide further into the future.

We had an economist in last week (at the office) the guy was very pessimistic as none of the leading indicators are showing any health. He did say he looked for signs of turnaround 4Q this year but at this point it is just a guess. Market tends to be a 6 - 9 month leading indicator so we are in a window where it should be stabilizing if his analysis is correct.

I'll give you a great indicator free of charge: The bottom will be put in when the market stops going down on bad news.

You're welcome. :lol:

While i am not a stock analyst or a pro in anyway, stocks have been a huge hobby of mine for the last 10 years. I agree with the fact that stocks price in future expectations, so by the time the economy has bottomed, most stocks will have left u in the dust already. Most of the stocks I have gotten into since the fall are already up a good 20% since I got them, if not more. I am a value guy at heart (kinda like r. wilson) so I like to buy on the cheap and it is very hard for me to buy on the upswing. I like to buy the downward slopes, then ride them out until i feel i have safely hit my profit without being greedy. Some value plays right now which i don't currently own are GE and DOW. If they move down any further I am a buyer. Some stocks i am holding but looking to acquire more on downward movements are HTS AGNC(huge dividends) RIMM(Good growth prospect) X(formerly 196$, will begin to move based on obamanomics) BYD (huge value play) I am short on AUY (insert any other gold stock here).

Stocks got "slammed" today, because some people took some profits. That money will eventually funnel back in.

IMO buying stocks now for the long haul (solid companies like ones I mentioned) is cant miss for the next 5 years. Those who don't invest will be like what the hell was I thinking.

I was watching Dan Dorfman on CNBC and his Gold Stocks were as follows.....Anacot Steel, BlueStar Airlines, Med Patent(They've just designed the world's first retractable syringe. This means that doctors and nurses will never again have to worry about infection from dirty needles. This is not going to be an alternative in the medical world, it's going to be the standard.) , and Farrowtech(They have a drug called "Parattin" in the third stage of FDA approval.)

I was watching Dan Dorfman on CNBC and his Gold Stocks were as follows.....Anacot Steel, BlueStar Airlines, Med Patent(They've just designed the world's first retractable syringe. This means that doctors and nurses will never again have to worry about infection from dirty needles. This is not going to be an alternative in the medical world, it's going to be the standard.) , and Farrowtech(They have a drug called "Parattin" in the third stage of FDA approval.)

Mr. Burns wants to know how his Confederated Slavery Holdings stock is doing.

*Kramer is reading a newspaper. Couple of men behind him are talking.*

Man1: This, it's the fourth horse of the first race, Pappanick.

Man2: How do you know it's going to win?

Man1: My UPS-guy tells. Guys who own the horses are regular customers.

Every horse he has ever given me has won.

See, they've been sandbagging and looking for a good spot. He's been

getting it light cause they've been using bug boy and the workout hasn't

been published. Now they are ready to run with it. They are gonna break his

maiden. It's going to go to great price, maybe 30:1. I'm telling you ,it's

a lock.

Man2: But it rained last night.

Man1: Exactly, this horse loves the slop. It's in his bloodlines. His

father was a mudda', his mother was a mudda'.

Man2: His mudda' was a mudda'?

Man1: What did I just say? Come on, let's go to the office, I'm going to

call my bookie. Hey, don't tell anybody.

*Kramer quickly turns away*

Man, I really want in on that retractable syringe thing. Will your broker sell me some?? If you also want to buy some, this site is the place

http://www.flixster.com/user/fredrikmlindq...uiz/boiler-room

While i am not a stock analyst or a pro in anyway, stocks have been a huge hobby of mine for the last 10 years. I agree with the fact that stocks price in future expectations, so by the time the economy has bottomed, most stocks will have left u in the dust already. Most of the stocks I have gotten into since the fall are already up a good 20% since I got them, if not more. I am a value guy at heart (kinda like r. wilson) so I like to buy on the cheap and it is very hard for me to buy on the upswing. I like to buy the downward slopes, then ride them out until i feel i have safely hit my profit without being greedy. Some value plays right now which i don't currently own are GE and DOW. If they move down any further I am a buyer. Some stocks i am holding but looking to acquire more on downward movements are HTS AGNC(huge dividends) RIMM(Good growth prospect) X(formerly 196$, will begin to move based on obamanomics) BYD (huge value play) I am short on AUY (insert any other gold stock here).

Stocks got "slammed" today, because some people took some profits. That money will eventually funnel back in.

IMO buying stocks now for the long haul (solid companies like ones I mentioned) is cant miss for the next 5 years. Those who don't invest will be like what the hell was I thinking.

Understand your points but system I follow is not exactly a value play - it is a combination of value and trend - would take a while to explain the nuances - doesn't really matter for this forum. My issue - to your point - is that there are a pile of value plays out there - the problem in my system is that momentum is sideways or down for the most part. I know you could say - change your mentality / system - but I have invested a lot of time learning what I have learned - also the hard facts for me are that when I follow what I know I have made money - when I deviate from it I have generally lost money. Therefore, I am trying to be patient and stick to my process.

BTW - for what it is worth - disagree with you on RIMM - I think it is a company that has had it's day in the sun. Not saying it will be a "loser" but I believe competition for them is going to get really stiff. Sales Momentum for them has been slowing.

I would highly discourage engaging in market timing and the buying of individual stocks unless you do it as a hobby with the dollars in play being <5% of your entire portfolio. Market timing is a losers game. For anyone thinking of investing in the market either on their own or through a fee only financial planner I have always recommended this book Bogleheads' Guide To Investing. I just finished reading The Four Pillars Of Investing which is also outstanding.