Jets: No Marty, No Cowher

There's some hope since previous Ravens DCs have failed (Lewis, Nolan). But on the other hand...he was running one hell of a defense these past few years, and getting great play from Justin freakign Bannan.

And the slow, talentless Jim Leonhard.

There's some hope since previous Ravens DCs have failed (Lewis, Nolan). But on the other hand...he was running one hell of a defense these past few years, and getting great play from Justin freakign Bannan.

he wont have the LBs or Secondary that Baltimore has. It will suck if he can bring the Ravens style of D with him, but as you noted, so far Lewis nor Nolan have been able to re-create it.

he wont have the LBs or Secondary that Baltimore has. It will suck if he can bring the Ravens style of D with him, but as you noted, so far Lewis nor Nolan have been able to re-create it.

Getting his guys to play hard for him is the first step. If he can accomplish that (see Cardinals, Arizona), good things will come of it.

I love how Bannan plays great, yet Kyle Williams with better overall stats sucks? The Ravens have arguably the one of the top players at every level of their defense (sometimes 2- Suggs and Lewis at LB). You can plug almost any player in that system and they will be success. The Jets have a long way to go before they come close to getting the Ravens' personnel.

ok so the afc east looks to be shaping up like:

Pats: Coaching and Front Office all but dessimated. Only one left is Belichick

Jets: New HC is a first timer, former DC, we'll se how he puts his staff together

Bills: we all know what we have

Dolphins: Parcells and Co.

Id say the Phins may have the best coaching staff/FO at this time. yes no?

ok so the afc east looks to be shaping up like:

Pats: Coaching and Front Office all but dessimated. Only one left is Belichick

Jets: New HC is a first timer, former DC, we'll se how he puts his staff together

Bills: we all know what we have

Dolphins: Parcells and Co.

Id say the Phins may have the best coaching staff/FO at this time. yes no?

Until proven otherwise, the PAts* are always the best. I respect what they Fins did and that fat guy did a good job, but they got every break in the book (playing Buffalo on the road in November in a dome; playing SF without Gore; Favre handing them a game; easy schedule). I believe they will come crashing back to earth next year.

The Jets may not have the Ravens level of defensive talent, but a lot of it is about attitude, and philosophy. The jets had to overturn their roster from Herm's Tampa 2 defense, and bring in the players to run Mangini's 3-4. The problem with Mangini's 3-4 is he runs that Belichick defense that is conservative in nature. Basically a bend but don't break philosophy. The difference between the jets/ne? The Pats had a lot of front 7 talent over the years in Seymour/Wilfork/Warren, Colvin/Vrabel etc etc. It's a conservative scheme that relied on the talent of the players to creature pressure, rather then forcing pressure through blitz packages. Rex Ryan switched up his schemes running a 3-4 and a 4-3

While the jets don't have the players we all know from the Ravens d there is some talent there. Kris Jenkins/Shaun Ellis are able to play in both schemes. Although there's legit questions about how well Jenkins can play nt in a 3-4. They have a versatile lb core with thomas/pace/harris, and gholston I believe they'll try to use him like the Ravens used suggs. Occasionaly at lb, but the majority of the time as a hands down dend. The Jets have a very good corner in Revis, and a good safety. While he's no Ed Reed Kerry Rhodes is no slouch. They have players capable of running a more agressive defense which Rex Ryan will employ. Meanwhile we get to watch another year of conservative wait for the ball to come to you defense.

Until proven otherwise, the PAts* are always the best. I respect what they Fins did and that fat guy did a good job, but they got every break in the book (playing Buffalo on the road in November in a dome; playing SF without Gore; Favre handing them a game; easy schedule). I believe they will come crashing back to earth next year.

i wasnt commenting on team performance. im talking about how their coaches/FO look "on paper"

I love how Bannan plays great, yet Kyle Williams with better overall stats sucks? The Ravens have arguably the one of the top players at every level of their defense (sometimes 2- Suggs and Lewis at LB). You can plug almost any player in that system and they will be success. The Jets have a long way to go before they come close to getting the Ravens' personnel.

Sure they do. Like the Dolphins took all of 9 months to turn their personnel from worst in the NFL to first in the AFC East? Now I know Bill Parcells isn't running the Jets, but come on, teams turn things around from one year to the next every single season. Except for the ever consistent 7-9-0 Buffalo Bills of course. But every other team in the NFL has the ability to take advantage of free agency and the draft and make the playoffs after horrible seasons the year before.

The Jets have a big Question Mark over the QB position....If Favre does not return (which is very likely), then Ryan is starting with a new QB and not great talent on the offensive side....Plus the AFC East will play the tough AFC South and NFC South next year.....NO game will be a gimme.

Sure they do. Like the Dolphins took all of 9 months to turn their personnel from worst in the NFL to first in the AFC East? Now I know Bill Parcells isn't running the Jets, but come on, teams turn things around from one year to the next every single season. Except for the ever consistent 7-9-0 Buffalo Bills of course. But every other team in the NFL has the ability to take advantage of free agency and the draft and make the playoffs after horrible seasons the year before.

i believe the Jets are already well over the cap. the difference here is that Miami 1. wasnt, and 2. had an owner who didnt mind eating whatever salaries he had to in order to clear house and rebuild.

not every team is in a position to do what Miami did last year. it is why they are the anomaly and not the norm.

yeesh, you guys get ONE example to go one and expect everyone else to be able to pull it off... just like Julian Peterson being the only player to come back from an achilles injury

i believe the Jets are already well over the cap. the difference here is that Miami 1. wasnt, and 2. had an owner who didnt mind eating whatever salaries he had to in order to clear house and rebuild.

not every team is in a position to do what Miami did last year. it is why they are the anomaly and not the norm.

yeesh, you guys get ONE example to go one and expect everyone else to be able to pull it off... just like Julian Peterson being the only player to come back from an achilles injury

The Dolphins are the anomaly. What were the Falcons, Ravens, Cardinals, Vikings & Panthers? Oh wait I know, they were all teams that missed the playoffs in '07 only to improve and make the playoffs in '08. That makes a total of 6 anomalies this past season, not one. The Jets, not quite a playoff anomaly in '08, still improved their record by 5 games over '07. I know Mangini lost the team at 8-3-0, going 1-4-0 down the stretch and getting fired for it. But you think they can't improve by one or two games in '09 and make the playoffs next season???

Sure I used the best example available from one season to the next. But the Dolphins were certainly not the only example of how teams can change fortunes from bad to great in 9 months.