The Death of the Tampa 2

firstngoal

And if that is the case, why is it that every time the aggressive Ravens D goes up against the Colts, Manning torches them offensively, followed by their pansy/passive/whatever D forces turnovers, to again allow Manning to paste them?

Even in their worst years as a D, the Colts have owned that aggressive Defense.

This is a valid point. Perhaps the answer had a lot to do with Manning, Tarik Glenn, Harrison, and their tremendous offense. The Ravens are/were not equipped to trade TDs against an offense like this.

This year, the Colts played without Glenn, and there were numerous injuries to their already thin OL. Frankly, I am surprised that they even made the playoffs at all.

Manning has to be considered one of the best ever.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont care what type of defense you run; Tampa-2, 4-3, 3-4, etc, good defenses get pressure on the QB with a few men as possible (4-5). The Bills can switch to whatever formation/scheme we want, but until we can generate consistent pressure without having to send 6-7 guys all the time, we aren't going to be a top tier defense.

Each defense relies on pressure from different places (ie-the OLB in the 3-4), and each defense has a few key positions where you most likely need a top player to be good (NT in the 3-4, UT in the Tampa-2). If you get those players in those key positions, your defense will most likely take off and be good, regardless of whatever scheme you chose to run.

There's actually something to be said about going against the grainof what the rest of the NFL is doing. Reason being is that lots of teams running similar defenses means lots of teams going after similar players in the draft. Why did Tampa get so good running the Tampa-2? Because they got skilled players that weren't fits in the traditional 3-4 and 4-3 defenses. Teams were shying away from the "smaller" players, so all that talent was there for the picking. With so many teams switching to the 3-4 now, that means that big NTs and pass rushing OLBs are going to be all the rage. That could cause talent fit for other defenses to drop further than expected.

Good post.

I want to throw in the fact that it isn't all about the pass rush. The Bills rushing defense was horrid. All of the really great defenses I can remember (Steel Curtain, Bears, Ravens, Cowboys, AFL Chiefs), were next to impossible to run on.

Jauron/Levy built their defense on a #8 safety who plays centerfield, a slew of early round corners who don't play much man coverage, and starters up front named Chris Kelsay and Kyle Williams. This in a cold, windy setting. In other words, there was little to no chance of success. I am sure that opposing offenses literally look forward to going up against our little defensive shrimps.

Our defense, in addition to being improperly constructed, is idiotic imo. Sorry, but Ryan Denney has no business in coverage. Even as a DE, agility and speed are not his defining characteristics. I still think that Poz is a hitter, but he IS running backwards.

I will watch as much of the remaining bowl games as I can, as well as the combines on channel 212 but I play this game every year. The difference is that now, I have zero faith that Dick Levy will bring in any help via the draft or free agency. He should have been chased out of town, let alone fired, and Fewell is no better.

All we can do is hope, but the situation doesn't look good at all. :unsure:

Are the Colts small? Sure, but they play in a dome.

.......I have zero faith that Dick Levy will bring in any help via the draft or free agency......

Stroud......1st round DT pick.....extending Schobel......extending Kelsay(which you predicted at the time & backed as a good move)......Johnson.....Tripplett......Williams.

Not all of these moves worked but the FO has clearly shown over the last 3 years that they place a very high importance on the DL.

Stroud......1st round DT pick.....extending Schobel......extending Kelsay(which you predicted at the time & backed as a good move)......Johnson.....Tripplett......Williams.

Not all of these moves worked but the FO has clearly shown over the last 3 years that they place a very high importance on the DL.

I actually thought that with Stroud, Kelsay would have a good year. :ph34r: Johnson is way to small. Tripplett was awful, and Williams was a 5th round pick.

They also tried to upgrade the DL when the traded up for McCargo. A noble effort, but it was fueled by the stupidity of drafting Whitner.

If you look at both lines, they have added all of 1 standout player (Stroud) in 3 freaking years. :unsure:

the Cover 2 is a wuss defense for coaches that coach not to lose

i dont like any scheme that counts on the offense to make a mistake and not put consistant drives together...

The Tampa-2 doesn't solely "rely on the offense making a mistake." It is predicated on making the opposing offense go 12+ plays anytime they want to score. First off, that increases the chances of the offense making a mistake. And then the defense is geared to make a play on any 1 or 2 of those offensive plays, effectively ending the drive. The defense is based on the fact that somewhere in that long drive, they are going to get a sack, drop the RB for a 4 yard loss, force a bad throw/INT, force a penalty, and effectively end the drive. Over the course of the game, more often than not, something is going to happen to end the offensive series. Also with the T-2 defense, forget about the opposition coming back from a 2 score deficit in the latter stages of the game.

The Tampa-2 doesn't solely "rely on the offense making a mistake." It is predicated on making the opposing offense go 12+ plays anytime they want to score. First off, that increases the chances of the offense making a mistake. And then the defense is geared to make a play on any 1 or 2 of those offensive plays, effectively ending the drive. The defense is based on the fact that somewhere in that long drive, they are going to get a sack, drop the RB for a 4 yard loss, force a bad throw/INT, force a penalty, and effectively end the drive. Over the course of the game, more often than not, something is going to happen to end the offensive series. Also with the T-2 defense, forget agint the opposition coming back from a 2 score deficit in the latter stages of the game.

Quit using logic Ram, it doesn't work here :unsure:

I think we need a defense that can adjust based on who we play. I think our biggest problem is being predictable. The thing about the attacking defenses is you can't predetermine what they are going to do. Way to many teams exploited our scheme. DE covering backs, no pass rush, and predictable blitzes. Either they sign big time DL help or this scheme is doomed to fail.