What do we need more??

Enough about firing the QB. No QB will be successful in Buffalo with the current receiving corps we have. Until we have legitimate #1 and #2 WR's, and a legitimate #1 TE, our QB's will struggle. When those scenarios are filled, then we can discuss who is the problem.

A good QB makes the WRs, not the other way around. Brady won two Superbowls with guys like David Patten, David Givens, Christian Fauria, Daniel Graham, and Deion Branch, all of whom have done absolutely nothing outside of New England. It starts at QB. Ask Miami and Baltimore.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great coaching can often win you a game or two a year. That's all. Wildly incompetent coaching could possibly lose you five or six, but our coaching is NOT wildly incompetent. The most it does is possibly lose us a game or two a year. Or possibly it just appears that it does.

You made the perfect point then disagreed with it... The coaches lost the first Dolfins game, second Jets game and several red zone attempts they decided to pass on... 1st down on the 3 yard line for the INT... Coaches can lose several games a year and once in a while a team can win despite their poor coaching... I think that represents all the 4th quarter comebacks in the beginning of the season. Team could have easily been 4-12. Coaches need to go.

A good QB makes the WRs, not the other way around. Brady won two Superbowls with guys like David Patten, David Givens, Christian Fauria, Daniel Graham, and Deion Branch, all of whom have done absolutely nothing outside of New England. It starts at QB. Ask Miami and Baltimore.

How do you expect any QB to win with the Lollipop Guild (the Bills receivers). Miami & Baltimore both have good #1 TE's, we don't! Lee Evans is not a #1 WR, he's a #2 WR. Banking on a rookie WR to make an impact was a big gamble that failed miserably this year. When Reed went down with his injury this year, we were screwed. When Parrish came back after his thumb surgery, he was dropping almost everything thrown to him. Plus, the play calling was terrible. Lynch played in 15 games this year and had 250 carries compared to 13 games played in 07' and 280 carries. The coaches favored Jackson, especially in the red zone. It's a no brainer that Lynch is a better redzone threat than Jackson as we've seen him barrell through mulitple defenders last year & this year.

How do you expect any QB to win with the Lollipop Guild (the Bills receivers). Miami & Baltimore both have good #1 TE's, we don't! Lee Evans is not a #1 WR, he's a #2 WR. Banking on a rookie WR to make an impact was a big gamble that failed miserably this year. When Reed went down with his injury this year, we were screwed. When Parrish came back after his thumb surgery, he was dropping almost everything thrown to him. Plus, the play calling was terrible. Lynch played in 15 games this year and had 250 carries compared to 13 games played in 07' and 280 carries. The coaches favored Jackson, especially in the red zone. It's a no brainer that Lynch is a better redzone threat than Jackson as we've seen him barrell through mulitple defenders last year & this year.

I expect a good QB to win, just as Brady did with a myriad of slightly-better-than-ordinary targets in '01 and '03.

Your lollipop guild comment is very humorous, but I must disagree on some points. Heap missed about half the season this year, and Fasano effectively played himself out of the lineup in Dallas. Fasano ranked 24th in the league in receptions by a TE. He is very effective in the red zone, however, which I suspect is why you brought his name up.

Andre Reed was in consideration for the HOF this year, and Evans' numbers through 5 seasons are better than his in terms of receptions, yards, and touchdowns. The Bills have zero offensive identity, and that's been the case for Evans entire career, yet he seems to post respectable numbers year in and year out. I'll agree he's not one of the top 5 in the league, but he is worthy of being called a No. 1. Consider this comparison between Evans' numbers and those of 2 temporarily-unidentified 2008-09 pro-bowl receivers:

Evans: 63 catches, 1017 yds, 3 TDs, 16.1 YPC

Pro Bowler 1: 111 catches, 1165 yds, 3 TDs, 10.5 YPC

Pro Bowler 2: 92 catches, 904 yds, 4 TDs, 9.8 YPC

Sure, the unidentified Pro Bowlers have more catches, but look at the production Evans had with fewer opportunities. There's no need for suspense, the Pro Bowl WRs who belong to those stats are Wes Welker (1) and T.J. Houshmandzedah (2). And those two guys have former pro bowlers playing opposite them.

Lastly, I agree with you that the play-calling is atrocious, but that's aside from the point I was making.

Sup Jerry...

I have to disagree here...your QB makes your WR's better. Good QB's make marginal WR's look better...Bad QB play makes good WR's look worse.

Look at McNabb...who has he had to throw to yet is one of the best QB's in the league consistently most of his career. Who does he have to throw to at the WR spot this year? A midget rookie named DeSean Jackson! That his #1 WR who also drops a lot of passes. Look at Stallworth...McNabb made him look good and masked the fact he is lazy and doesnt run good routes.

Brady as mentioned before succeeded with marginal talent at best too at WR position (until he got Moss and Wes last year).

If our WR's were not getting open or dropping all the passes (well Royal sure does drop a lot, but Evans and Reed are pretty reliable) then I would say you have an argument here. Truth is, Trent locks in to the hot route, when its taken away he frequently fails to find the open guy on the other side of the field as he does not progress through his reads fast enough and winds up checking down to a short safe route.

This has become a big part of defensive game plans against Trent...Hurry him and cut off the hot route (which he advertises by locking on a WR) and give a cushion down low for his check down to encourage to dump it off. Then put it the hands of your players to make the tackle on the short dump off as opposed to letting Trent set and throw up field.

The people who say "If you can't see that Trent has it, you're an idiot," are just as wrong as those who say "Trent will never be a winner, he is a career loser."

We can't be sure yet.

I'm pretty sure Trent will not have a good year next year with Jauron as his coach. We all can be sure he is injury prone, that is the one thing Trent has proven up to this point.

The point is that a great QB shows more and gets more out of his teamates than we have gotten from Edwards. The guy is a classic clipboard career man. He's not terrible, I'll even say he's better than average. The problem is average guys are a dime a dozen in the NFL! I hope a light goes on for him this year or I would hand him the clipboard and find a diferent option.