McGahee doing some nifty running

Backward.

yeah, right into the afc championship game and another win right into the super bowl. i never understood the desire to run him out of town, as a player or a person. although i like beast-mode, i don't see a significant difference between them. mcgahee - jackson, works just fine for me. i would have rather kept mcgahee and used the 1st round pick elsewhere. and as far as saying toronto had more potential as a city than buffalo, he's essentially saying the same thing as the owner.

Look I know they won but 50 yards net rushing is NOT what I call working.

I was referring to how they have been using them during the season, not just this game....guess you havent watched many Ravens games yet you felt the need to chime in anyway

i know the popular thing now is to bash the Bills but what a great trade that was to get rid of Willis.

yes it was a great trade to get rid of him but how pathetically stupid was it for TD to draft him

see, theres always a way to bash the bills

yes it was a great trade to get rid of him but how pathetically stupid was it for TD to draft him

It was a reflection of TD's high-risk/gambling approach. If it works, he's brilliant. Unfortunately, too many of his gambles didn't pay off. That's one of the reasons the team was in such horrible shape at the end of 2005.

:doh:

:lol: You really have no clue what you're talking about do you?

Once again Dibs great posts full of facts that people will cast aside because it doesn't fit with their realities. :unsure:

Would you mind quoting said post again and bolding the "full of facts" parts? I count one: Teams draft RB's in the 1st round.

Yeah, when you pick former first round backs in their waning years it really makes your argument look good, but how about talking about them during their prime? Doesn't quite make such a good argument does it.

lol who is the one who brought up these backs?

Barry Sanders carried the Detroit Lions on his back for years. They had nothing else and IIRC they made the playoffs with him. Marshall Faulk, OJ Simpson and why do you think the Dolphins had problems when Marino was QB? They never had a great RB to go with him.

Yes the Lions one playoff win in the Barry era was clearly a larger success than Dolphins' eleven under Marino. Admittedly Dan always had a killer defense and Herman Moore, Brett Perriman, Lomas Brown were all chumps.

Would you mind quoting said post again and bolding the "full of facts" parts? I count one: Teams draft RB's in the 1st round.

Yes the Lions one playoff win in the Barry era was clearly a larger success than Dolphins' eleven under Marino. Admittedly Dan always had a killer defense and Herman Moore, Brett Perriman, Lomas Brown were all chumps.

I liked the DE tanden of Porcher and Scroggins too. (It may help if Schobel had a partner somewhere along the line. I remember a turkey game awhile back when Scroggins turned on a game against Orlando Pace.)

It was a reflection of TD's high-risk/gambling approach. If it works, he's brilliant. Unfortunately, too many of his gambles didn't pay off. That's one of the reasons the team was in such horrible shape at the end of 2005.

one of the reasons...another..and bigger reason(exc for drafting m williams) was that he tried to build the team from the outside in. Never works....

Well said - I was going to write a longer more confusing version of this.

Peterson is special. Rank RB's 2-18 in the league (I bet you'll get 5 incredibly different looking lists when you ask 5 different people btw) and the gap between 2 and 18 is going to have a minimal impact on your win total compared to other positions.

Most teams (in the playoffs or not) have a back on their roster who was drafted in the 1st round. This shows that teams do in fact seek them out. That most playoff teams have them shows nothing, as most non-playoff teams do as well: Pats, Jets, Bills, Bengals, Browns, Jags, Chiefs, Raiders for sure...

I agree that the fact that 1st round RBs are regularly on playoff teams means nothing.

The concept that a good half of the starting RBs in the NFL come from the 1st round means quite a bit though.

You talk about the drop-off......the most important thing is to have a RB that is good/serviceable(similar to a lot of positions really). The reason that a lot of teams have a serviceable RB is because they spend resources to make sure they are not one of the teams with a bottom ranked RB(outside your top 18).

Just using your 'top 18' concept(which I think is pretty much right give or take)......that means there is about 14 teams who haven't got a guy that can get the job done(let alone a star/stud). When you consider that well over half the 1st round selected RBs end up not good enough......where do you think you can obtain these 'easily replaceable' players from?

As previously stated(by others), a good OL can make a decent RB look good & a good RB look great......but it can't make a bad RB look good......and most teams don't have good OLs. There is good reason why most NFL teams chase for good RBs.

I guess you've never read his posts in other threads, not just this one. :unsure:

What difference does it make who brought them up? Your arguments about them are still weak.

Sigh, the overall talent on the Lions wasn't even within a mile of the overall talent of the Dolphins. Sanders was the only player anyone had to worry about on that team. Despite the fact that other teams constantly stacked the box against him he still managed to carry that team.

Your argument that Marino's Dolphins went 11 straight years is due to a strong defense, good coaching and good receivers. If they had Thurman Thomas, Emmitt Smith or Barry Sanders they would have been the team going to four consecutive Super Bowls.

When a team has a lead in the fourth quarter a great RB helps that team chew up the clock and keep the ball out of the other teams hands. Even more is that it helps the team control the clock all game long.

Are you taking on the Daquix role of arguing for the sake of arguing? The only position less important than RB is Safety.

That is exactly why watching Ngata plug up the middle of the Raven's D kills me while Whitner sits at home lamenting their under achieving team.

Dude, I am not trying to knock leron, but Willis is a much better all around back. Leron only can run str8 and is slow as heck.

you dont have to knock leron but he is their staring halfback not willis.

when rice was healthy willis was third string. everything i have read is that this will be his last year in baltimore. the reason he received more snaps yesterday is that leron hurt his ankle and rice is still not 100%.

see, theres always a way to bash the bills

If he panned out to his college potential the Bills would have the best Running back in the league. Remember what a freak he was at Miami.

you dont have to knock leron but he is their staring halfback not willis.

when rice was healthy willis was third string. everything i have read is that this will be his last year in baltimore. the reason he received more snaps yesterday is that leron hurt his ankle and rice is still not 100%.

sWillis could have been great but his lack of dedication to the game is his downfall. He'll get another starting gig somewhere but his attitude and commitment will dictate how long he stays there. Two thirds and fifth, IIRC, was a steal!!!! It almost equals the Bledsoe trade in terms of robbery.

I agree that the fact that 1st round RBs are regularly on playoff teams means nothing.

The concept that a good half of the starting RBs in the NFL come from the 1st round means quite a bit though.

You talk about the drop-off......the most important thing is to have a RB that is good/serviceable(similar to a lot of positions really). The reason that a lot of teams have a serviceable RB is because they spend resources to make sure they are not one of the teams with a bottom ranked RB(outside your top 18).

Just using your 'top 18' concept(which I think is pretty much right give or take)......that means there is about 14 teams who haven't got a guy that can get the job done(let alone a star/stud). When you consider that well over half the 1st round selected RBs end up not good enough......where do you think you can obtain these 'easily replaceable' players from?

As previously stated(by others), a good OL can make a decent RB look good & a good RB look great......but it can't make a bad RB look good......and most teams don't have good OLs. There is good reason why most NFL teams chase for good RBs.

I guess we'll agree to disagree then. I would say the Cardinals & Steelers (this year at least w/ Parker hurt) are two of those teams in the bottom 14. Disagree?

Sigh, the overall talent on the Lions wasn't even within a mile of the overall talent of the Dolphins. Sanders was the only player anyone had to worry about on that team. Despite the fact that other teams constantly stacked the box against him he still managed to carry that team.

Your argument that Marino's Dolphins went 11 straight years is due to a strong defense, good coaching and good receivers. If they had Thurman Thomas, Emmitt Smith or Barry Sanders they would have been the team going to four consecutive Super Bowls.

When a team has a lead in the fourth quarter a great RB helps that team chew up the clock and keep the ball out of the other teams hands. Even more is that it helps the team control the clock all game long.

I mean seriously? This is getting absurd, their defense always sucked pre Jimmy Johnson and you're the only person ever to argue otherwise.

I guess we'll agree to disagree then. I would say the Cardinals & Steelers (this year at least w/ Parker hurt) are two of those teams in the bottom 14. Disagree?

I don't disagree......though Parker is certainly lighting things up when healthy(and the team was losing games when he didn't play at a much higher rate than when he did). I'm sure the Chargers would have preferred to play against Moore over Parker today.

I don't believe I ever said(and hopefully never implied) that a good run blocking OL wasn't a highly sought after aspect to a team. I have only been trying to break the illusion that RBs are(for the most of it) interchangeable and easily replaceable(should not be drafted in 1st round).

If you were one of the teams that didn't have one of the 'top 18' RBs......how would you acquire one?

This is the same thing I have argued with others about QBs(though QBs are more important & even harder to find). You want a good one on your team.......but you need at least a decent one on your team in order to become a very good team(unless either the rest of the team is great and/or the competition you face is sub-par).