Make The Better Side Of The Ball

I truly believe that the Bills should take a look at both sides of the ball and determine which one is better off. It seems to me that the Defense is closer to being dominant than the offense. Keep the free agency and draft focused on the D and GET AN IDENTITY!

If I was making the moves, I would get a DE in free agency AND either draft a DE or LB in first round. The offense actually is good enough to win games IF we can become a top 5-10 Defense. Figure out how to get a center in Round 2 and fill the lines with the remaining rounds.

Our secondary will take enormous steps if they keep building up the D!

I truly believe that the Bills should take a look at both sides of the ball and determine which one is better off. It seems to me that the Defense is closer to being dominant than the offense. Keep the free agency and draft focused on the D and GET AN IDENTITY!

If I was making the moves, I would get a DE in free agency AND either draft a DE or LB in first round. The offense actually is good enough to win games IF we can become a top 5-10 Defense. Figure out how to get a center in Round 2 and fill the lines with the remaining rounds.

That would be nice. I would like to see the Bills FO pick up a WR, TE & DE in free agency and pull in the rest during the draft.

I've never seen a team so ineffectively run a tampa 2. I'm beginning to think that more talent will not help, considering our idiot of a DC prefers our corners to play off 15 yards on 3rd and 10.

Indeed it is a catch 22 but we are stuck with this group of loser coaches. That is exactly why we need to stack one side of the ball (to overcome the stupidity of the coaches)

Indeed it is a catch 22 but we are stuck with this group of loser coaches. That is exactly why we need to stack one side of the ball (to overcome the stupidity of the coaches)

It's a good idea that certainly is not unique. I do believe, however that for our team, the "You can't win if you can't score" adage rang true enough times this year that there is no way you can ignore our offensive woes in the offseason.

It's a good idea that certainly is not unique. I do believe, however that for our team, the "You can't win if you can't score" adage rang true enough times this year that there is no way you can ignore our offensive woes in the offseason.

"If they dont score, we cant loose"

While I do agree this team needs an identity, the statement above about the offense is false. The steelers defense would've lost the games against the 49ers, Miami, and both New England games. We scored a combined 16 points in those 4 games (4pts per game).

Nevertheless, I do agree that defense is closer to being dominant than the Offense. The single x-factor to this all is Trent Edwards.

Technically, if one goes position by position, we're only 1-2 players away from being a good offense.

1. We have the RB's

2. We have solid WR's

3. We have a solid (not great/not horrible) Oline.

We're essentially a true #1 WR (or good TE) and an Olineman away from being a very good offense...that is, if Edwards ever progresses to the point of being above average.

On defense, we're probably 2 players away from being a very good defense (a pure pass-rushing DE, and a stud LB or Safety).

While I do agree this team needs an identity, the statement above about the offense is false. The steelers defense would've lost the games against the 49ers, Miami, and both New England games. We scored a combined 16 points in those 4 games (4pts per game).

Nevertheless, I do agree that defense is closer to being dominant than the Offense. The single x-factor to this all is Trent Edwards.

I'd put the first New England game as much on the defense as I would the offense. They just couldn't get off the field.

It's easy to make a claim that even the best defense in the league would have lost games where we only scored X number of points...but great defenses have a way of putting their offense in position to score. The Bills D didn't do it in any of those 4 games you mentioned. They forced one turnover in the four games combined. A second turnover came from Frank Gore basically fumbling the ball without being touched by a Bill.

There's no doubt that the offense sucked in those 4 games. But the defense didn't do anything to change field position, and in 3 of the 4 games let the opponent march down the field for an early touchdown that put the Bills in a hole right off the bat.

Technically, if one goes position by position, we're only 1-2 players away from being a good offense.

1. We have the RB's

2. We have solid WR's

We're essentially a true #1 WR (or good TE) and an Olineman away from being a very good offense...that is, if Edwards ever progresses to the point of being above average.

On defense, we're probably 2 players away from being a very good defense (a pure pass-rushing DE, and a stud LB or Safety).

I think that with a top level defense, the point totals would have been much different against teams like Miami and SF. Less for them...more for us

I've never seen a team so ineffectively run a tampa 2. I'm beginning to think that more talent will not help, considering our idiot of a DC prefers our corners to play off 15 yards on 3rd and 10.

How is that idiotic? Fewell knows that our DE's cannot get pressure so he has to keep our corners back so we don't get burned by the deep ball.

Lets look at it Defense we need: SS, CB, OLB, MLB (polinsky is better suited as an outside) DE, DE, DT

The offense needs: C, TE, WR

Looks like the offense is closer in personnel than the Defense.

Lets look at it Defense we need: SS, CB, OLB, MLB (polinsky is better suited as an outside) DE, DE, DT

stop reading after that

:ph34r::sick::thumbsup:

1. We have the RB's

2. We have solid WR's WHATTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solid WRs what have you been looking at to determine we have SOLID WRS The only reciver that puts his heat and soul into catching a ball is Josh Reed the only Balls Lee can catch is when he has a two yard advantage in stride over his coverage. Smith looks promising, Hardy looked like a joke parrish isnt worth the money so out of 54 receivers two are capable of catching the balls possibly a third but we need another possesion receiver.

I think the problem with this is that although there may be fewer glaring holes on O, that side of the ball is mediocre which could be good enough with a stingy D. It is the potential of being Special that I am looking at and i see the talent on the D as being much closer. With the addition of a blue chip DE, another DT and round one LB, I think you see a much bigger leap than if you added a C, TE and a WR.

They have a problem winning the "A" gap battles. Inexcusable - the offense controls the snap count. For reasons unknown, Schonert or OL coach won't devote a back to plug the leakage. They have a leaky interior line, IMO.

Result...check-down passes to avoid a sack.

I agree wholeheartedly with Baumer. Build up this D to the level of the Ravens. Here is my plan. Get a center, QB and Bertrand Berry in FA. Draft Everette Brown with the first pick. Take Sean Weatherspoon(Missouri OLB) with the 2nd. Chase Coffman with the 3rd. AQ Shipley in the 4th. Best available DT's in 5th-7th. Coffman will help our offense immensely because Edwards will have a safety valve(other than Reed) who he can throw the ball to and not worry about him dropping it. He doesn't need to be a great blocker(ask Dallas Clark).

We have a problem winning the "A" gap battles. Inexcusable - the offense controls the snap count. For reasons unknown, Schonert or OL coach won't devote a back to plug the leakage. They have a leaky interior line, IMO.

Result...check-down passes to avoid a sack.

Agreed completely. Thats why we were gonna employ a fullback in our system now. What happened?

I'd put the first New England game as much on the defense as I would the offense. They just couldn't get off the field.

It's easy to make a claim that even the best defense in the league would have lost games where we only scored X number of points...but great defenses have a way of putting their offense in position to score. The Bills D didn't do it in any of those 4 games you mentioned. They forced one turnover in the four games combined. A second turnover came from Frank Gore basically fumbling the ball without being touched by a Bill.

There's no doubt that the offense sucked in those 4 games. But the defense didn't do anything to change field position, and in 3 of the 4 games let the opponent march down the field for an early touchdown that put the Bills in a hole right off the bat.

listen, if you're going to sit there and start bitching about the defense not creating more turnovers then fine. But for anyone who watched the entire season, it's freaking clear that this defense and special teams carried the bills the entire season. The Chiefs game was the only game that you could clearly say, "our offense won that game," and I could give you 6 games at least where you could say "our offense lost us that game".

Whereas with the defense, there's only really one game where you could say, "our defense lost us that game," and I can name you several where our defense made a key turnover or held the opposing team down long enough for us to win.

Fact of the matter is, this defense could've had many more turnovers, but it wouldn't have mattered, b/c we would've simply scored a field goal even if we started on their 20yd line.

And you're wrong, the offense didn't suck those games because there would have to be some kind of offense in the first place for it to suck..which there wasn't.

How many turnovers did the offense have this season that put the defense in a vulnerable position? How many 3 and outs did we have? How many times did the offense kill the team's momentum by failing to score 6 and settling for 3? That was the theme this entire season, and not the defense failing to get turnovers.

Go back and look at the boxscores of the games we played, and tell me how many games our defense lost for us on its own, and how many the offense won on its own. It's not even close.

Solid WRs what have you been looking at to determine we have SOLID WRS The only reciver that puts his heat and soul into catching a ball is Josh Reed the only Balls Lee can catch is when he has a two yard advantage in stride over his coverage. Smith looks promising, Hardy looked like a joke parrish isnt worth the money so out of 54 receivers two are capable of catching the balls possibly a third but we need another possesion receiver.

what have I been looking at? Evans and Reed. Wouldn't you consider them "solid"? I didn't say pro bowlers. I said SOLID. What would you consider them?

Sure, we could use a true number 1 WR, but give me solid QB play and these WR's would look 10x's better.

Hardy did look like a joke.

How is that idiotic? Fewell knows that our DE's cannot get pressure so he has to keep our corners back so we don't get burned by the deep ball.

Because it never worked. The fact that we got no pressure, yet we still played off and consistently got burned meant, to me at least, that this DC is among the most predictable in the league. He came out with a fancy D in the seahawks game, and then it was all downhill from there. These bums on our staff continue to out-think themselves year-in-and-year-out.