My analysis on why Ralph kept DJ...

Alphadawg7

Here is my opinnion and analysis on what's going on with Ralph bringing DJ back. I still prefer to replace DJ now, but keeping isn't as crazy as our record suggest and does make some sense when you look at the bigger picture.

1. He is right on the money about a young team needing continuity (doesn't mean DJ and co. are the answer, but you don't develop young talent with constant change).

2. We had shown some improvements before our slide which coincidentally was about the time we started losing quality players to injury (Greer, Schobel, Youboty, Trent, Reed, etc.) which greatly contributed to our slide and inconsistentcy.

3. DJ, believe it or not, is still considered to be a pretty good coach in the NFL circle.

4. Ralph signed him to the extension already, so pulling the plug on him is going to be expensive at this point.

5. Troubles and inconsistency at QB greatly contributed to the demise of our season and we have a young QB who also missed time due to injury. This was the biggest reason for our fall from grace, not DJ. When Trent began to struggle he started to regress big time...hard to win in this league when your QB is timid to throw downfield.

6. There are some top coaching candidates available right now, but it is very possible that next off season will have several elite coaching candidates available as well: Holmgren plans to take 1 year off, Cowher emphatically stated he does NOT want to coach this next year until his daughter graduates (and his top 2 chocies to coach won't be available likely next year Jets and Browns), Shannahan likely takes one season off, Mariucci and Billick could also still be there, etc. Add Andy Reid too to that mix as I think he is back next year, but it might be his last unless Philly has a real strong season.

7. This team dealt with injury's to a lot key players on both D Line and O Line, QB, the secondary and LB positions. We didn't have the depth to overcome that.

So, when you add up all the variables, it makes some sense to give DJ one year to try and rebound. If he falters next year (which very well could happen with what appears to be a tough schedule next season) there will be some Elite coaches available and likely quite a bit fewer job openings than this season increasing our odds to land one.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my opinnion and analysis on what's going on with Ralph bringing DJ back. I still prefer to replace DJ now, but keeping isn't as crazy as our record suggest and does make some sense when you look at the bigger picture.

1. He is right on the money about a young team needing continuity (doesn't mean DJ and co. are the answer, but you don't develop young talent with constant change).

2. We had shown some improvements before our slide which coincidentally was about the time we started losing quality players to injury (Greer, Schobel, Youboty, Trent, Reed, etc.) which greatly contributed to our slide and inconsistentcy.

3. DJ, believe it or not, is still considered to be a pretty good coach in the NFL circle.

4. Ralph signed him to the extension already, so pulling the plug on him is going to be expensive at this point.

5. Troubles and inconsistency at QB greatly contributed to the demise of our season and we have a young QB who also missed time due to injury. This was the biggest reason for our fall from grace, not DJ. When Trent began to struggle he started to regress big time...hard to win in this league when your QB is timid to throw downfield.

6. There are some top coaching candidates available right now, but it is very possible that next off season will have several elite coaching candidates available as well: Holmgren plans to take 1 year off, Cowher emphatically stated he does NOT want to coach this next year until his daughter graduates (and his top 2 chocies to coach won't be available likely next year Jets and Browns), Shannahan likely takes one season off, Mariucci and Billick could also still be there, etc. Add Andy Reid too to that mix as I think he is back next year, but it might be his last unless Philly has a real strong season.

7. This team dealt with injury's to a lot key players on both D Line and O Line, QB, the secondary and LB positions. We didn't have the depth to overcome that.

So, when you add up all the variables, it makes some sense to give DJ one year to try and rebound. If he falters next year (which very well could happen with what appears to be a tough schedule next season) there will be some Elite coaches available and likely quite a bit fewer job openings than this season increasing our odds to land one.

8. He counts on suckers like you to come up with dopey rationalizations when the real reasons are he is too cheap and old to bother.

quality post *sarcastic*...you must be a Madden player...lol

Alpha, I think you're pretty much spot on. I'd add a couple:

It's the best way to synch up the organization and give everyone a fair chance. If things don't improve next season, then you can say you aren't giving up on Schonert too quickly, or on Brandon. You can also give an incoming coach a better idea of a decision on whether Edwards is his QB without forcing him to accept him for a year (a problem that may hinder the Jets with Favre). Now, should Jauron fail again, you can throw the lot of them out an start over with a unified plan.

Also, given the schedule, it might be best to get your next coach in there with a better shot at a quick turnaround. Of course, given the annual shake up in the NFL, trying to project strength of schedule in two years is iffy at best.

Alpha, I think you're pretty much spot on. I'd add a couple:

It's the best way to synch up the organization and give everyone a fair chance. If things don't improve next season, then you can say you aren't giving up on Schonert too quickly, or on Brandon. You can also give an incoming coach a better idea of a decision on whether Edwards is his QB without forcing him to accept him for a year (a problem that may hinder the Jets with Favre). Now, should Jauron fail again, you can throw the lot of them out an start over with a unified plan.

Also, given the schedule, it might be best to get your next coach in there with a better shot at a quick turnaround. Of course, given the annual shake up in the NFL, trying to project strength of schedule in two years is iffy at best.

totally agree... :devil:

Keep making excuses...This is exactly what Ralph is counting on...In a couple Months all will be forgiven, and Bills Fans like you will be lined up for Tickets just to be rewarded with another mediocre 7-9 Season led by a Head Coach who is glaringly incapeable of matching wits with most of his counterparts...

It's all part of the plan...

You can rationalize this till the cows come home and there will NEVER be a good reason for keeping a Head Coach who is a career loser...Unless you don't care about winning of coarse... :devil:

1.) Continuity is great - but you get that by deciding on a coach you want long-term and keeping him long-term, not dragging out the process with a coach who has clearly shown himself not to be a solution.

2.) It's not a coincidence that we started playing much worse after we lost talent, sure. Schobel would have helped a lot in the stretch there. But every team has injuries, and ours weren't worse than average. You gotta win despite injuries, not take a year off every time you lose a quality lineman.

3.) Which circles? People like him, but I have heard few commentors say anything better than "his players respect him and work hard"

4.) Yes. It would be expensive to fire him. It's also expensive to field a successful football team. I'll bet Jauron makes half as much as Kelsay over the rest of hteir contracts. If he cut Kelsay and put the money to a new coach, then we'd be well ahead of where we are now.

5.) Trent did regress and JP played awfully. It's 100% Jauron's job and that of his staff to make sure that THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN.

6.) If Ralph has a plan to bring in Cowher after next season, all is forgiven.

7.) You said injuries already. Every team has injuries - it's how the game works.

Madden? I wouldn't know what a playstation would look like if it hit me on the forehead.

Were you around for OJ's 2000 yard rushing record, the Chuck Knox years, or the consecutive 2-14 seasons?

Didn't think so. Next....

How old you are or how long you have been fan doesn't make your lame post which contributed nothing to the discussion any better.

I may not have been a fan during OJ's 2000 (and who really cares), but I have been a fan for 21 years, played college ball for 4 years with a top ranked Pac 10 team, had a shot at NFL until injury changed my path, and have several friends in NFL circles who I guarantee know a great more about football than either you or I, and I know my fair share.

So, who gives a rats behind that you are old as dirt and still don't know more than an Arm Chair QB? Not me...next...

1.) Continuity is great - but you get that by deciding on a coach you want long-term and keeping him long-term, not dragging out the process with a coach who has clearly shown himself not to be a solution.

2.) It's not a coincidence that we started playing much worse after we lost talent, sure. Schobel would have helped a lot in the stretch there. But every team has injuries, and ours weren't worse than average. You gotta win despite injuries, not take a year off every time you lose a quality lineman.

3.) Which circles? People like him, but I have heard few commentors say anything better than "his players respect him and work hard"

4.) Yes. It would be expensive to fire him. It's also expensive to field a successful football team. I'll bet Jauron makes half as much as Kelsay over the rest of hteir contracts. If he cut Kelsay and put the money to a new coach, then we'd be well ahead of where we are now.

5.) Trent did regress and JP played awfully. It's 100% Jauron's job and that of his staff to make sure that THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN.

6.) If Ralph has a plan to bring in Cowher after next season, all is forgiven.

7.) You said injuries already. Every team has injuries - it's how the game works.

You make some good points...

Injuries do happen, but what it showed us is how little depth we have and you can't win if you can't field players who can get the job done. For example, if you give a player a scheme, if he can't execute, doesnt mean the scheme was wrong, means you need to find new players...

It is not 100% on DJ to develop Trent. The HC rarely develops his QB. It is the responsibility of the OC and QB Coach, and this is a common misconception especially with a HC with a defensive background. HC gets too much credit and blame for the performance of his QB in most cases.

Ralph will never, let me repeat NEVER, shell out the cash needed to bring in Cowher. Or even Marty.

so given that info, and given the fact that we know our next option will be another "coordinator-turned-HC-wannabe" a la Gregg, a la Mularky... doesn't the decision to give our young team another year to learn the (still) new systems make sense? doesnt the decision to give our rookie OC a chance to learn from some rookie mistakes make sense?

It is not 100% on DJ to develop Trent. The HC rarely develops his QB. It is the responsibility of the OC and QB Coach, and this is a common misconception especially with a HC with a defensive background. HC gets too much credit and blame for the performance of his QB in most cases.

exactly, and as much as he is a home town favorite, i have to question how qualified AVP is...

How old you are or how long you have been fan doesn't make your lame post which contributed nothing to the discussion any better.

I may not have been a fan during OJ's 2000 (and who really cares), but I have been a fan for 21 years, played college ball for 4 years with a top ranked Pac 10 team, had a shot at NFL until injury changed my path, and have several friends in NFL circles who I guarantee know a great more about football than either you or I, and I know my fair share.

So, who gives a rats behind that you are old as dirt and still don't know more than an Arm Chair QB? Not me...next...

I think Dick jauron has proved that playing football does not equate to "understanding" the game.

All of the rationalizations are a waste of time. Given Ralph's advanced age and stated desire that team be sold upon his death, dont plan on him making any investments beyond bare minimum to sell/scam us for another year. Who would invest big bucks into a house if they know they are moving?

I get a kick out of you,you add a reply to a post and like it so much you copy and paste it to start another thread with the same babble.

My post in that other thread.. "Sooooo Is There Going To Be A Press Conference?, Or Were Those Lies Wilson Spewed Going To Be It??

#5 is complete baloney,it was the play calling that contributed to the inconsistency at QB,it took the idiot OC 16 games before he realized the running game can greatly help the passing game.Remember the SF game where Lynch had over 130 yards in the first three quarters and touched the ball ONCE in the 4th qtr because the OC had the back up QB throwing every play,simply moronic.

Mother nature stepped in to help the Bills against the Patriots by taking away the Pats best threat and that was Matt Cassel throwing to Wes Welker. So both teams were forced to run the ball. The bills actually had the better running game with Fred Jackson's 136 yards and 4.6 yards per rush vs the pats with 3.6 YPR and still lost because of moronic coaching and play calling. That game showed the difference between a good coaching and what the Bills have.

You can give any reason you want as to why the Bills let the 1st half expire on the 12 yard line with 22 seconds, but they called a running play...that is coaching,play calling, even pee wee league coaches know better then that.

You can sugar coat it all you want but the simple fact is...IF Ralph Wilson didn't panic at the thought of losing Jauron when the team was 5-1 and him being in the final year of his contract and offer a three year extension,the Bills would be looking to hire a new head coach because Jauron would have been fired!

You lost me right there.

Rebound? You mean return to the excellent years of the past? Which 7 - 9 season did you think was spectacular?