Bills lack of penalties is a problem not a positive

Chuckknox

Usually aggressive penalties hurt a team a lot more than they help. They kill drives, on offense or defense.

The only time I remember one helping was when Whitner took out Higgins in the endzone, but the difference is the 15 yards was only applied on the kickoff, so it's not as bad.

Usually aggressive penalties hurt a team a lot more than they help. They kill drives, on offense or defense.

The only time I remember one helping was when Whitner took out Higgins in the endzone, but the difference is the 15 yards was only applied on the kickoff, so it's not as bad.

I agree that typically, its not a good idea. The other time this season it happened was when Mitchell laid a pretty late hit on Kurt Warner after Edwards took the helmet to helmet hit. I think that was late in the game when they were down already so it didn't really hurt their chances of winning. Watching a Raiders game makes me thankful that our players are more disciplined than that.

I have to be honest.

There are some really well thought out threads started by good posters.. and then there are threads started by Chuckknox.

So, you want some of the players on this team to risk suspension with helmet-to-helmet penalties? And cheap shots are a good thing? I'm sorry but one of the few good things about Dick Jauron is his team does not commit many dumb penalties.

Some aggressive penalties would be welcome AND should be encouraged next year.

Are you serious?

Playing hard with fire and passion is one thing but...

I'm sure the last thing our team needs is guys getting fined and suspended, especially since we're in what I consider "the suspension era."

I'm willing to give you a reprieve if you are still drunk from New Year's.

For a late hit, that was incredibly vaginistic. If you're going to get a penalty for a late hit, you better make it worth it Donte.

I have to be honest.

There are some really well thought out threads started by good posters.. and then there are threads started by Chuckknox.

So, you want some of the players on this team to risk suspension with helmet-to-helmet penalties? And cheap shots are a good thing? I'm sorry but one of the few good things about Dick Jauron is his team does not commit many dumb penalties.

I could not agree more. Penalties of the nature mentioned here are indicative of "individuals" that lack discipline. In the heat of the moment, they commit a foolish penalty that can in certain instances cost the team a game. The drop off in penalties was positive, however there were instances (the shoving match between NE players and Preston/Schouman most recently) that need to be remedied.

I'm assuming that you are referring to the team attitude that would be resultant from aggressive pentalties as a positive, yes? Then I guess I'd agree with your idea that a tougher, more aggressive attitude would benefit this team.

However, that's as far as I'm willing to go in agreement with your post. Taking penalties always hurts the team. The best teams find a way to manufacture that toughness and tenacity without resorting to tactics that could potentially hurt the team. In my opinion, that can only come from real leadership either on and off the field.

I have to be honest.

Disagreed. They may not take a lot of cheap shots, but how many times have you seen this team get a big run, pass, or return called back because of a holding penatly away from the play? How many false starts, illegal formations, etc. does this team take compared to others?

I agree that they don't take cheap shots, but man, they do some dumb stuff out there.

Disagreed. They may not take a lot of cheap shots, but how many times have you seen this team get a big run, pass, or return called back because of a holding penatly away from the play? How many false starts, illegal formations, etc. does this team take compared to others?

Incorrect.

Statistically speaking, on offense we are the 3rd LEAST penalized team in the league. Only New England and Atlanta are ahead of us. We committed 71 penalties on offense.

On defense, we are 2nd in the league with the least amount of penalties committed. We stand at 72 on that side of the ball, and only Indianapolis has fewer penalties committed with 68.

To answer your question, compared to others we are near the top in this category.

The Bills have played more disciplined football than they have in the past. The problem seems to be, they still aren't disciplined enough in the clutch situations. I'm just going from my impressions...I haven't researched it. If I'm wrong, and the data shows it, I am more than happy to admit to it.

And, of course the premise of the thread is stupid, for the most part. But, there have been very rare occasions when I would disagree. Last year, when the Pats* were destroying teams and their O couldn't seem to be disrupted, I think I would have OK'd a well time HARD late hit (maybe very late) on Brady, to set the tone and make a point. It might be worth the penalty, to try and disrupt the Marcy's comfort zone.

The Bills have played more disciplined football than they have in the past. The problem seems to be, they still aren't disciplined enough in the clutch situations. I'm just going from my impressions...I haven't researched it. If I'm wrong, and the data shows it, I am more than happy to admit to it.

You'd have to watch the season all over to determine how many penalties occurred during clutch moments but the data indeed proves they are one of the least penalized teams in the league.

People seem to be confusing the Duke Preston fiasco in the New England game as a penalty. There was no penalty. It was just a shoving match that he wasn't smart enough to get out of. As far as other clutch moments, the team simply hasn't gotten the job done. Thinking back on the most critical plays of the season, like the kick in Cleveland or JP's fumble against the Jets late in the game, there were no penalties, just poorly executed plays.

Incorrect.

Statistically speaking, on offense we are the 3rd LEAST penalized team in the league. Only New England and Atlanta are ahead of us. We committed 71 penalties on offense.

On defense, we are 2nd in the league with the least amount of penalties committed. We stand at 72 on that side of the ball, and only Indianapolis has fewer penalties committed with 68.

To answer your question, compared to others we are near the top in this category.

Incorrect doesn't seem to make sense as a response...my statement was an opinion followed by a question.

Regardless, I think I need to make my point clearer. I'm not talking about quantity of penalties, I'm talking about the untimeliness and nature of the penalties they do take. Many times, the penalties come during big plays and in 2nd or 3rd and short scenarios, where a team cannot afford to take a false start or holding penalty.

And, of course the premise of the thread is stupid, for the most part. But, there have been very rare occasions when I would disagree. Last year, when the Pats* were destroying teams and their O couldn't seem to be disrupted, I think I would have OK'd a well time HARD late hit (maybe very late) on Brady, to set the tone and make a point. It might be worth the penalty, to try and disrupt the Marcy's comfort zone.

what about when Wilfork did his Jimmy Superfly Snooka impression? A 15 yarder from someone on the O would have been more than welcomed.

I agree. Especially when playing at home.

Not to the point of taking gratitutous cheap shots so the perp can pound his chest - but taking shots to rev up the team, to send a message that yeah we might well be beat but you'll remember us. Next time.

PGH has done this for years - even when they had podunk teams, they came at opponents hard. It's worked out well for them through the years.

Bring the battle to the enemy...