Marv Levy

I hear blame going everywhere, Ralph, Jauron and the rest of the coaches, the players. My question is, where is Marv Levy? Didn't he "rebuild" this franchise? Has he been on WGR? I find it hard to believe that Jerry Sullivan isn't knocking his door down for a quote.

As far as I am concerned, he is the one to blame. Bad drafts, terrible free agent signings and a horrible coaching choice.

So I guess my question is, how do you feel about Marv's role in this mess?

No.

And what sort of sick satisfaction do you get with assessing blame?

No satisfaction at all but isn't that what everybody on this board is doing? Isn't that what every Bills fan everywhere is doing today? I just thought it was interesting that Jauron, Ralph, Trent and so many others are taking it on the chin when it was Marv who put all of these guys in place. I never understood why he is so untouchable.

I hear blame going everywhere, Ralph, Jauron and the rest of the coaches, the players. My question is, where is Marv Levy? Didn't he "rebuild" this franchise? Has he been on WGR? I find it hard to believe that Jerry Sullivan isn't knocking his door down for a quote.

As far as I am concerned, he is the one to blame. Bad drafts, terrible free agent signings and a horrible coaching choice.

So I guess my question is, how do you feel about Marv's role in this mess?

Marv Levy sucked as a GM. I loved the guy as head coach. I will always defend his being a Hall of Fame coach, even though he did lose all four of those SB's. Amazingly, he was as bad a GM as was good a coach. Starting with Dockery and Walker, and then drafting Donte Whitner with his number 8 pick of his first draft, he was as bad as Donahoe before him. B-)

Generally Marv is untouchable on TBD because people are sentimental for the glory days but since you asked, here's my personal view of Marv:

- Rode a deep and incredibly talented roster to 4 SB's and the HOF. Had almost no part in the X's and O's.

- Failed miserably all 4 times in the most coach-driven game of all - the SB. What greater test is there for a coach?

- Agreed to do Ralph a big favor and step in as a clueless GM when Ralph himself was clueless about who to turn to for help.

- Was in over his head as a GM in terms of drafting and free agent signings, but I don't blame him too much for this because Ralph put him in a situation to fail. He was only doing his old pal a favor. To Marv's credit he realized his no-win situation as GM and after recording a few commercials with a little orange ball in the locker room, rode off into the sunset before things got too ugly.

This year? I think the offensive co-ordinator has to take a good share of the blame, with DJ right behind him for all of the same issues that others have been citing for years. It seems like there was an entirely different coaching staff in the first six games, offensively innovative, amart play-calling and with some command of the clock and the team. We were second to last in penalties this year ? (I'm not sure that we were that bad, but we did manage to commit major penalties at critical times.) I think we can improve with a good draft and perhaps (at least) a new offensive co-ordinator. Playoffs? I don't know given that we were 0- 6 against AFC east, and they aren't going to get worse in the next few years.

I don't think Marv was ever acting GM. He was a figurehead. HE may have made the final call on a few things but he listened to his Lieutenants.

Close ... very close. Marv was the figurehead alright, but in the post-Donahoe era Uncle Ralphie makes any and all significant decisions.

Ralph doesnt know the difference between Marshawn Lynch or Meryll Lynch. I doubt he had anything to do with the draft or free agency.

Well, I suspect we're both speculating, but since Donahoe left, I think every meaningful decision is explicitly run by Ralph - draft picks, free agents, everything down to the point last season when Trent replaced JP - all require Ralph's OK.

It's not just coincidence that we don't have a "name" GM, a "name" coach, or any top-flight free agents, nor do I think it's coincidence that anyone in the organization that has challenged Ralph in any significant way is still around.

Do we really think that Russ Brandon, Tom Modrak, et al. are the ones keeping Jauron from being fired (and paid out on his contract) after the Jets, Lions, and Browns all acted immediately today? :sick:

Well, I suspect we're both speculating, but since Donahoe left, I think every meaningful decision is explicitly run by Ralph - draft picks, free agents, everything down to the point last season when Trent replaced JP - all require Ralph's OK.

It's not just coincidence that we don't have a "name" GM, a "name" coach, or any top-flight free agents, nor do I think it's coincidence that anyone in the organization that has challenged Ralph in any significant way is still around.

Do we really think that Russ Brandon, Tom Modrak, et al. are the ones keeping Jauron from being fired (and paid out on his contract) after the Jets, Lions, and Browns all acted immediately today? :sick:

There is no way he has anything to do with the draft or free agency. He might give that person(s) a dollar figure but he has no clue who Donte Whitner, Derrick Dockery or Langston Walker were before they became Bills.

Generally Marv is untouchable on TBD because people are sentimental for the glory days but since you asked, here's my personal view of Marv:

- Rode a deep and incredibly talented roster to 4 SB's and the HOF. Had almost no part in the X's and O's.

- Failed miserably all 4 times in the most coach-driven game of all - the SB. What greater test is there for a coach?

- Agreed to do Ralph a big favor and step in as a clueless GM when Ralph himself was clueless about who to turn to for help.

- Was in over his head as a GM in terms of drafting and free agent signings, but I don't blame him too much for this because Ralph put him in a situation to fail. He was only doing his old pal a favor. To Marv's credit he realized his no-win situation as GM and after recording a few commercials with a little orange ball in the locker room, rode off into the sunset before things got too ugly.

I'm pretty sure if that's not exactly how it went it's damn close.

I think Marv was smart enough to see this coming and was one step ahead of the lynch mob. He is loved in WNY and I bet he wanted nothing to do with selling a home game to Toronto and the potential of going out on a sour note.

Levy has made a lot of dough and rep screwing Buffalo.

Levy has made a lot of dough and rep screwing Buffalo.

You are an idiot Man! Ask Kelly, Thurman and co. what their opinion is of Marv Levy? Every NFL broadcaster, analyst, coach or player in the last 20 years who knew Levy would disagree with your opinion! :sick:

This year? I think the offensive co-ordinator has to take a good share of the blame, with DJ right behind him for all of the same issues that others have been citing for years. It seems like there was an entirely different coaching staff in the first six games, offensively innovative, amart play-calling and with some command of the clock and the team. We were second to last in penalties this year ? (I'm not sure that we were that bad, but we did manage to commit major penalties at critical times.) I think we can improve with a good draft and perhaps (at least) a new offensive co-ordinator. Playoffs? I don't know given that we were 0- 6 against AFC east, and they aren't going to get worse in the next few years.

We might have been 0-6 this year, but we lost very close winnable games against the Jets and Dolphins. Even the Patriots for a change we did not get blown out like last year...Remember last year we beat both the Jets and Dolphins twice. I don't think beating the Dolphins/Jets next year again is out of the question.