I miss Wade

otterpops

I remember well that many in Bills nation rejoiced when Phillips was fired. Sure he errored with his special teams coach but if I recall the main criticism of the guy was that he didn't wear a headset. Seems so trivial now. I think Phillips has much to do with the Chargers resurgance. I like Mularkey and think he'll be good when he has some talent.

Wade wasn't exactly the smoothest of talkers and certainly didn't "look" like a head coach. But I think he did an excellent job. A few important things he did:

1. When Rob Johnson got injured and Flutie took over after an 0-3 start, he let Flutie keep the job. Many head coaches would have put RJ back in there.

That was the sole reason the Bills became the first team to start 0-3 and make the playoffs.

2. Inserted Eric Moulds into the starting lineup. Moulds was in Levy's doghouse for years and rarely got on the field unless it was for receiving punts. Wade immediately saw his potential and declared him the #1 receiver on the team from the get-go.

3. Brought Ted Washington to Buffalo. Enough said.

4. Made something out of scrubs like Keion Carpenter, Raion Hill, Kenny Irvin, Jon Holacek, and Gabe Northern.

I remember well that many in Bills nation rejoiced when Phillips was fired. Sure he errored with his special teams coach but if I recall the main criticism of the guy was that he didn't wear a headset. Seems so trivial now. I think Phillips has much to do with the Chargers resurgance. I like Mularkey and think he'll be good when he has some talent.

90290[/snapback]

Wade "Forest Gump" Phillips, good DC, lousy coach. You can't say what his record would be if he were in his first year as the Bills' coach given the present circumstances. He started with a pretty good team in Buffalo, but it slipped while he was coach.

Guest Guest_Hardy Pyle_*

Lousy head coach???? Just win baby...what was Phillips winning percentage?? It was high...compare it to the other scrubs we've had coaching....

...and big deal if the coach says, we're basically out of it. At least he isn't full of stevestojan coach speak. It's so simple to think, the players quit just because the coach says we're basically out of it.

Wade did so much good and made so many good decisions. He says one thing to a reporter, and it's blown way out of proportion. Has anyone ever thought he said that to help take pressure off his team so they would be loose and go out there and play???

I don't think people remember how GOOD that defence was. Number 1 ranked. It was stiffling in some games. Forget 'bout running up the middle. Made Cowart look all world. Pat Williams hasn't been near as good since Phillips left.

Sheesh...I'd rather play for a straight talker like Phillips who would BE LOYAL to players and coaches rather than Greg Williams. The jury is out on Mularkey, but I like what I see. He's doing what he believes in and is staying the course. I like that.

I like MM, but I saw absolutely no reason to run Wade out of town. I think that the guys who complained that he did not wear a headset are the same guys that are blaming Drew for only getting two seconds on average before the pocket collapses or for interceptions tipped by his own teammates.

Is it?  Come on AD, I thought a QB and his W-L record were intertwined?  I mean, Flutie "just won," until he didn't.  Wasn't it something like 11 straight losses with him as a starter?

90536[/snapback]

Which QB in the NFL would have won with the team they had in SD?

Give me a break. I'm not a huge fan of either Wade or DF. Doesn't change the fact that either or both would have us over .500 THIS season.

You better believe Wade and DF would have this team playing better! The Bills were bumbling out of the gates at 0-3 under Rob Johnson.

Enter Doug Flutie.

The team finishes 10-3 the rest of the way.

You do the math.

Which QB in the NFL would have won with the team they had in SD?

Give me a break.  I'm not a huge fan of either Wade or DF.  Doesn't change the fact that either or both would have us over .500 THIS season.

90588[/snapback]

What was Wade's record when RJ was the starter? Same defense, right? RJ was Wade's boy, remember the comment about the 'Levy-Kelly' era to be replaced by the 'Phillips-Johnson' era?

The Bills won because of Flutie and his improvisational skills, something a coach really has no control over. Take away Flutie and put in Johnson and Phillips absolutely sucked as a head coach. Just like he sucked as a head coach in Denver.

If he's such a great head coach, why hasn't he got another chance since leaving Buffalo? 'Nuff said.

What was Wade's record when RJ was the starter? Same defense, right? RJ was Wade's boy, remember the comment about the 'Levy-Kelly' era to be replaced by the 'Phillips-Johnson' era?

The Bills won because of Flutie and his improvisational skills, something a coach really has no control over. Take away Flutie and put in Johnson and Phillips absolutely sucked as a head coach. Just like he sucked as a head coach in Denver.

If he's such a great head coach, why hasn't he got another chance since leaving Buffalo?  'Nuff said.

90705[/snapback]

Johnson was thrust at Phillips by the Front Office and Ralph - I think that was made clear. They spent the first round draft choice on him. Pure politics. I'd say that's also the reason he hasn't gotten another H.C. job.

Teddy Nolan was a terrific coach. Politics has kept him from another job.

PFFFT

wade was soft.

wade's a good DC. Lousy HC.

Proclaimed we were out of the playoffs when we had not yet been eliminated.

Soft.

90408[/snapback]

Kinda like everyone here is doing, even though we're not mathematically eliminated yet?

CW