What is everyones opinions in the level

I think we go DE in the 1st......

But I am not sure if we can wait for Mack at our 2nd round pick and center is a GLARING need.........my question is Mack head and shoulders better then every other center?

If he is then maybe we really need to trade up........

Pass rush and some brute force in the middle of our OL would go a long way to improving this team.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But I am not sure if we can wait for Mack at our 2nd round pick and center is a GLARING need.........my question is Mack head and shoulders better then every other center?

Pass rush and some brute force in the middle of our OL would go a long way to improving this team.

I assume you think Ellis is a lost cause?

Cat,

I just dont think we can cross our fingers and hope so going into the season.....just like I dont think we can pray that Hardy comes back and improves greatly in his second year.....

The best possible scenario is that:

- The DE we draft is good enough to replace Kelsay AND Ellis puts on some weight and improves greatly in his second year

- Whatever veteran wideout we bring in plays well AND both Hardy and Johnson (who may well end up being the vet wr at the end of the day) improve greatly providing debt

One of our big problems is we just cant keep guys healthy......yeah we need to be able to rush the passer and run up the middle.....but we also need to be able to bring young guys along that we dont fall apart when injuries happen.

Cat,

I just dont think we can cross our fingers and hope so going into the season.....just like I dont think we can pray that Hardy comes back and improves greatly in his second year.....

- The DE we draft is good enough to replace Kelsay AND Ellis puts on some weight and improves greatly in his second year

- Whatever veteran wideout we bring in plays well AND both Hardy and Johnson (who may well end up being the vet wr at the end of the day) improve greatly providing debt

One of our big problems is we just cant keep guys healthy......yeah we need to be able to rush the passer and run up the middle.....but we also need to be able to bring young guys along that we dont fall apart when injuries happen.

What makes you think we are bringing in another wideout?

Mack is a very solid player; easily the most NFL ready center at this point in time. I would have no problem with the Bills investing in him if they felt he could start right away.

However, there are two centers that several scouts (including NFL Network's Mike Mayock) believe are better long term prospects. One of them I've seen mentioned on this board, Max Unger from Oregon. He is a bit better athlete and has tremendous footwork. The other, who happens to be my personal favorite, is Eric Wood from Louisville. He is very raw, but his skill set is ideal for the center position, and (according to his position coach) he seems to make the players next to him play at a higher level.

Just my 1 cent.

Max Unger 6' 5" 305 Oregon; Jonathan Luigs 6' 4" 314 Arkansas; Antoine Caldwell, 6' 3" 298, Alabama are excellant prospects if Alex Mack is'nt available in the 2nd round.

Bison,

I am not sure if this is the answer to my question though.....what is everyones opinion of the "talent level" between Mack and those guys?

If it is not a great one then I dont want to give up the picks to move up.....if it is then I am not sure if we shouldn't make a move.

We have not done so well in moving up in recent years.......but I keep hearing people say that Mack is the best center to come along in years.....

Mack is a very solid player; easily the most NFL ready center at this point in time. I would have no problem with the Bills investing in him if they felt he could start right away.

However, there are two centers that several scouts (including NFL Network's Mike Mayock) believe are better long term prospects. One of them I've seen mentioned on this board, Max Unger from Oregon. He is a bit better athlete and has tremendous footwork. The other, who happens to be my personal favorite, is Eric Wood from Louisville. He is very raw, but his skill set is ideal for the center position, and (according to his position coach) he seems to make the players next to him play at a higher level.

Just my 1 cent.

Have you seen Wood play? He is not the center we are looking for. He gets pushed around and there's no way he'd be able to handle Wilfork, Jenkins and Ferguson 6 times a year.

I assume you don't think our pass rush is a problem?

I assume you haven't read ANYTHING I've posted over the past month?

Cat,

Ellis played in 7 games, and not once graced the field during the second or third quarters, at least that's what I gather from these situational stats: Link.

Jauron may be giving him the Steve Johnson/Leodis McKelvin treatment, and he might be much better than anyone could assume. Obviously I'm being optimistic here, but I DO remember him speed rushing with more tenacity than any non-Schobel player on our team. He definitely needs to pack on some pounds, though- like 20.

Have you seen Wood play? He is not the center we are looking for. He gets pushed around and there's no way he'd be able to handle Wilfork, Jenkins and Ferguson 6 times a year.

Yes, I have. And I'm not sure I agree with your assessment.

My opinion is based on my impression that he's a great pull blocker, has a natural "bucket" step (crucial for a center according to guys like Ross Tucker from SI.com) and is solid in pass protection. If you're worried about him getting pushed around, he has the frame to add a good 10 lbs of bulk in an NFL strength program, which I believe would certainly help his cause.

That said, there's no way anybody, let alone you or I that have no scouting experience (I'm just assuming you don't either), could evaluate how any of these guys will handle the transition.

anse,

Do you have a opinion on Unger? I have heard that name quite a bit as well.

There are a few people in my scouting circle that feel Unger is the best center in the draft. Yes, better than Mack. Don't overlook Caldwell from Alabama. He's my personal favorite of the bunch, not because I think he's the best center, but because I think he's the best center for our needs. He is a run blocking machine, is stout, has great technique, and pushed around Peria Jerry (one of the top, if not THE top, NT in this year's draft) all day.

IMO, we can't go wrong with any of the top 4 centers.