Could we get a first round pick for Whitner?

1billsfan

...we get the same or better production from Simpson, Wilson or a second or third round draft pick?

The reason I ask this is because I'd like Alex Mack C AND a defensive mauler be it DE or LB drafted in the first round. If Jauron goes then all ties to Whitner are gone in my book. Whitner has never lived up to the hype but I think that there could be teams out there who might bite on getting him based on the continued hype that follows him for some unknown reason.

I want the Bills to keep Greer and have him along with McKelvin, McGee, Corner for a solid CB situation. The Bills need a center and a defensive playmaker much more than keeping the disappointing Whitner. Every time I see him, I think about how stupid it was not to draft Ngata.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. And No.

If you know anything about trades in the NFL, teams do not give up first rounders for marginal talent.

Moreover, Simpson and Wilson are terrible safeties. Simpson is constantly out of position and Wilson is still a good Special Teams player and not much more.

...we get the same or better production from Simpson, Wilson or a second or third round draft pick?

The reason I ask this is because I'd like Alex Mack C AND a defensive mauler be it DE or LB drafted in the first round. If Jauron goes then all ties to Whitner are gone in my book. Whitner has never lived up to the hype but I think that there could be teams out there who might bite on getting him based on the continued hype that follows him for some unknown reason.

I want the Bills to keep Greer and have him along with McKelvin, McGee, Corner for a solid CB situation. The Bills need a center and a defensive playmaker much more than keeping the disappointing Whitner. Every time I see him, I think about how stupid it was not to draft Ngata.

There's no use. Until we beef up the pass rush from the DLine, there's no sense in dealing or experimenting with more DB's

Let's trade the heart and soul of our defense so we can replace him with Ko Simpson, or better yet, George Wilson.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Whitner's not going anywhere, and it's a damn good thing.

Please give me one memorable hit that Whitner has made in his career as a Buffalo Bill.

Let's see, the hit on Chad Johnson wasn't bad.

But then you'll say, that's only one hit.

He is the leader of this defense, he always brings his top game, he plays with more intensity than any player on the defense and they look up to that...I remember how he was holding film sessions with the younger defensive backs like Ashton Youboty during the offseason.

The guy is committed, and he's consistently getting better on the field. He's still young, especially for a safety which is a difficult position to learn in the NFL.

Lastly, the defense is clearly better when he's on the field.

The Bills need MORE players like Whitner, then they'd have a lot more heart.

Did you really just ask this question less than a week after his best hit as a Bill?

Maybe not, I was flipping back and forth between games on the NFL ticket and may have missed a few plays. Who did he hit and when did it happen?

Three years till we get a big hit? That sucks for a former 1st round "star" strong safety.

Did you really just ask this question less than a week after his best hit as a Bill?

He sure did. He forgot about Whitner's hit on Ocho Stinko last year too.

In all fairness to Donte, he has been moved around quite a bit during his tenure as a Buffalo Bill. Sometimes he plays the slot, sometimes he's at SS or even FS. Buffalo's struggles against the run in the past also hurt DW's chances of making plays in the secondary as well because he had to help stop the run constantly playing in the box.

Maybe not, I was flipping back and forth between games on the NFL ticket and may have missed a few plays. Who did he hit and when did it happen?

Three years till we get a big hit? That sucks for a former 1st round "star" strong safety.

It was his forced fumble across the middle.

He also almost killed Chad Johnson, had what should have been the game-winning INT against the Patriots* in his first ever game (refs called him out of bounds), he had a monster sack in one of our first games this year, he has made a handful of great plays (when it really mattered) in the redzone, and he gave the fanbase a boner when he tackled whats-his-face in the endzone this year against Oakland :flirt: .

I heard he's also really active in the community :blush:

It was his forced fumble across the middle.

He also almost killed Chad Johnson, had what should have been the game-winning INT against the Patriots* in his first ever game (refs called him out of bounds), he had a monster sack in one of our first games this year, he has made a handful of great plays (when it really mattered) in the redzone, and he gave the fanbase a boner when he tackled whats-his-face in the endzone this year against Oakland :flirt: .

I heard he's also really active in the community :blush:

If you get a boner from watching a big play, that's your business, we don't need to know.

i don't think whitner is being used correctly. he should be able to free lance and watch the ball

Why? He hasn't shown any ball skills.

The guy isn't a bad player...he's a decent starter in the NFL. But he just doesn't make enough plays to justify his draft slotting or his contract.

And the lack of a pass rush excuse doesn't make any sense- there are other teams with unknowns at safety in the conference that have had feeble pass rushes and still managed to make more plays than Whitner.

Nduke in Cincinnati has 5 sacks, 4 picks, a forced fumble, and 10 passes defensed in 2 seasons.

Jones in Cleveland has 1 sack, 13 picks, 2 forced fumbles, and 29 passes defensed in 3 seasons.

Page in Kansas City has 1 sack, 10 INTs, 3 forced fumbles, and 25 passes defensed in 3 seasons.

Pollard in Kansas City has 1 sack, 3 INTs, 3 forced fumbles, 8 passes defensed and a safety in 2 seasons starting.

Whitner? In 3 seasons...1 sack, 2 picks, 2 forced fumbles, 7 PDs. The above players always have lousy pass rushes too.

Whitner's not the biggest problem with the team, but I think a ton of people defend him to no end because they happened to buy his jersey after he was drafted.

Let's see, the hit on Chad Johnson wasn't bad.

Donte came up big against the Bengals. A true superstar in the making.

He is the leader of this defense, he always brings his top game, he plays with more intensity than any player on the defense and they look up to that...I remember how he was holding film sessions with the younger defensive backs like Ashton Youboty during the offseason.

Does that explain why he gets beat consistently by tight ends? Does it explain why he couldn't make an INT with 2 hands on the ball against Denver? Does it explain why he has been a liability in the passing game all year?

Most importantly, does it explain why a free agent safety we picked off the street (Bryan Scott) is playing significantly better than Whitner?

Didn't think so :blush:

The guy is committed, and he's consistently getting better on the field.

Committed, yes at least in talking the talk. Is he getting consistently better? NO.

The Bills need MORE players like Whitner, then they'd have a lot more heart.

Watch highlights of the Monday night debacle against Dallas when Whitner stood around watching, allowing Dallas to recover an onsides kick. That is indicative of his heart.

If you want to gush over a player who busts his tail and brings it every week, talk about Terrance McGee.

Talk about Josh Reed.

Talk about Fred Jackson.

Talk about Leodis.

Whitner is not in that category and it's not even close.

Nduke in Cincinnati has 5 sacks, 4 picks, a forced fumble, and 10 passes defensed in 2 seasons.

Jones in Cleveland has 1 sack, 13 picks, 2 forced fumbles, and 29 passes defensed in 3 seasons.

Page in Kansas City has 1 sack, 10 INTs, 3 forced fumbles, and 25 passes defensed in 3 seasons.

Pollard in Kansas City has 1 sack, 3 INTs, 3 forced fumbles, 8 passes defensed and a safety in 2 seasons starting.

Whitner? In 3 seasons...1 sack, 2 picks, 2 forced fumbles, 7 PDs. The above players always have lousy pass rushes too.

Ouch. That frickin' hurts. His selection was an obvious disappointment waiting to happen, he doesn't have the combination of measurables and intangibles to merit such an early selection and huge contract. But I really thought he was going to have a breakout season in 2008. It hasn't happened. Injuries aren't an excuse, they are a knock against him and rightfully so. The Bob Sanders and Troy Polomalu comparisons are way out the window. He is good, but just not a special player and he plays a position that is so easy to fill. 3 years in, he's still gettting outplayed by Lawyer Milloy.

Ouch. That frickin' hurts. His selection was an obvious disappointment waiting to happen, he doesn't have the combination of measurables and intangibles to merit such an early selection and huge contract. But I really thought he was going to have a breakout season in 2008. It hasn't happened. Injuries aren't an excuse, they are a knock against him and rightfully so. The Bob Sanders and Troy Polomalu comparisons are way out the window. He is good, but just not a special player and he plays a position that is so easy to fill. 3 years in, he's still gettting outplayed by Lawyer Milloy.

I don't know what qualifies you to speak to Whitner's intangibles, but I do know this: He does, in fact, lack the statistics which indicate a "great" play. However, he plays in a defensive scheme which relies on quick, aggressive pressure at the snap of the ball, but seems to break down the longer a quarterback has to let the play develop. To be critical of ANY of our DB's is somewhat laughable considering how long they're expected to cover, given the complete lack of pass rush upfront.

Furthermore, if you ARE going to speak to a players' intangibles, KNOWING that Whitner is normally the one making the pre-snap reads/calls, one has to believe that in fact his intangibles ARE strong, since the defense has hardly lost us any games since he's been back there, despite the utter dysfunction of the DLine, the unit which is SUPPOSED to be the driving force of a Tampa-2 scheme.