Normal Bills December - offseason predictions!

timstep

As a longtime Bills fan, it has become a tradition to spend the back half of December looking at what free agents will be available for the upcoming season.

While it's unlikely any of these guys will end up in Buffalo, here are some folks, all unrestricted free agents, I wish they'd take a serious look at to improve this team:

Charlie Batch, QB - I know, WTF? Hear me out. JP is a goner, which means they need depth at the position. Trent has yet to prove he can go a long stretch without an injury, so this team is going to need a steady hand with back-up experience in the #2 spot. Batch has proven this in Pittsburgh, and he won't demand the money that Matt Cassel is gonna get.

T.J. Houshmandzadeh, WR - Probably the best compliment to Evans available. Luckily, Cincy is horrible about resigning it's own good players, but lots of teams will be after TJ, so that leaves...

Devery Henderson, WR - A big, deep threat receiver. Good compliment to Evans. Reed and Steve Johnson give the position depth, and hopefully Hardy improves with another offseason.

Terrell Suggs, DE - With Haynesworth and Peppers probably going one-two, Suggs would make a great bookend with Schoebel. Kelsay isn't a playmaker, and should be relegated to a backup/situational player.

Channing Crowder, LB - With Poz and K-Mitchell in place, the injuries of Crowell and size of Ellison leave this spot wanting. Stealing a division rivals player would be sweet.

As a longtime Bills fan, it has become a tradition to spend the back half of December looking at what free agents will be available for the upcoming season.

While it's unlikely any of these guys will end up in Buffalo, here are some folks, all unrestricted free agents, I wish they'd take a serious look at to improve this team:

Charlie Batch, QB - I know, WTF? Hear me out. JP is a goner, which means they need depth at the position. Trent has yet to prove he can go a long stretch without an injury, so this team is going to need a steady hand with back-up experience in the #2 spot. Batch has proven this in Pittsburgh, and he won't demand the money that Matt Cassel is gonna get.

T.J. Houshmandzadeh, WR - Probably the best compliment to Evans available. Luckily, Cincy is horrible about resigning it's own good players, but lots of teams will be after TJ, so that leaves...

Devery Henderson, WR - A big, deep threat receiver. Good compliment to Evans. Reed and Steve Johnson give the position depth, and hopefully Hardy improves with another offseason.

Terrell Suggs, DE - With Haynesworth and Peppers probably going one-two, Suggs would make a great bookend with Schoebel. Kelsay isn't a playmaker, and should be relegated to a backup/situational player.

Channing Crowder, LB - With Poz and K-Mitchell in place, the injuries of Crowell and size of Ellison leave this spot wanting. Stealing a division rivals player would be sweet.

Charlie Batch...no! I know we are looking for a backup, and yes, he has proven valuable in the past...but that was a long while ago. Nope, no Charlie.

T.J. is a great complement and probably the truest #2 receiver in the game. A great possession receiver, but he isn't going to look at Buffalo.

I like Suggs and Crowder. Suggs won't come cheap. He'll expect top 5 DE money. I only see this happening if Buffalo let's Kelsay go and Suggs has some kind of connection with some players on the Bills roster and/or ownership. Crowder would be nice to have and is the most realistic out of all of these ideas.

batch is ok but i'm willing to bet someone like Kittna, Garcia/Griese, Frerotte, etc. maybe released and play for a reasonable price. TJ is out of the question, great player but i don't see us spending that kind of money, plus i think Steve Johnson has a lot of potential.

Suggs is too much money without a doubt, but signing Crowder would be a good move. The guy i want the most would be Matt Birk, watching all these 3-4 teams with Wilfork, Jenkins, Ferguson in the middle we need a serious upgrade at C.

TE is another need but the only FA i know of is Kellen 'the soldier' Winslow and i don't see him fitting in; his ability to stay healthy makes Trent look like Favre!

Suggs is a jerk who'll look to become the highest paid DE in football and someone will give him it or very close to it. Peppers will get franchised. Haynesworth will go to the highest bidder.

To be quite honest, Saints LB Johnathan Vilma is number one on my FA wish list. He's a baller who'd be dynamite on the outside, flanking Posluszny. He's young and talented and would absolutely fill a huge need. I also think he'd come at a reasonable price.

Suggs is a jerk who'll look to become the highest paid DE in football and someone will give him it or very close to it. Peppers will get franchised. Haynesworth will go to the highest bidder.

To be quite honest, Saints LB Johnathan Vilma is number one on my FA wish list. He's a baller who'd be dynamite on the outside, flanking Posluszny. He's young and talented and would absolutely fill a huge need. I also think he'd come at a reasonable price.

I agree with you about Vilma except I dont see him coming at a reasonable price...

I agree with you about Vilma except I dont see him coming at a reasonable price...

He hasn't been spectacular since leaving the Jets so his value may be down a little, I expect him to initially seek a large deal but one won't come and he'll settle for less, sort of like Bryant Johnson last year :lol:

My issue with Leftwich is his long delivery. I think there's a reason Garrard beat him out for the job, and Garrard is average at best. Granted, his line was decimated this year. Kitna would be a good option. Garcia has said he won't be a backup. I'd image Tampa Bay is gonna hold on to him.

Vilma's got a great motor, but he's only an inch taller than Ellison and actually lighter. I don't think we need another undersized LB, which was the knock on him in NY. Crowder is similar in size to Crowell but younger, although Crowder plays inside like Poz.

Personally, and I know this isn't going to happen, but I'd prefer the Bills play a 3-4 with Stroud at nose, have Poz and Crowder inside, Mitchell and Crowell outside. With a healthy Schobel, I'd be happy with that even if they drafted a guy to play opposite him and not go after a big time free agent.

With the signing of Mitchell and trade for Stroud last off season, I'd like to believe the Bills front office is willing to make a run at somebody with game changing talent.

Birk's an interesting option. Back when they drafted McCargo and Nick Mangold was still on the board, I was screaming at the tv about what a screw-up it was to leave Mangold on the board.

Winslow is too much of an injury-prone knucklehead to be worth anything. That right knee is a mess.

FA- Chris Kemoeatu G, Jason Brown C, Khalif Barnes OT, Chris Canty DE, Colin Cole DT

trades Jason Peters to Philadelphia for their 1st and the Panthers 1st - Schobel to SF for Vernon Davis

Draft

1a Rey Maualuga ILB

1b Clint Sintim OLB

1c Terrence Cody NT

2 Herman Johnson G

3 Clay Matthews OLB

4. Pannel Egboh DE

5 Ron Brace NT

Bills go to a 3-4 defense with Stroud and Canty as ends and Cole as NT

LBs Mitchell, POZ, Maualuga, Sintim,

Players gone, Kelsay, Dockery, McCargo, Fowler -player to retain Chambers, Preston

Starters now backups- Butler, Williams, Denny

new OL- LT Barnes, LG Kemoeatu C Jason Brown RG Herman Johnson RT Walker - Backups Bell Butler Preston Chambers

I think our top target will be LB Karlos Dansby. Dansby would be great playing with Poz and Mitchell. We may suprise and take a run at Haynesowrth/Peppers, but it won't happen.

On offense, I can see us trying hard to obtain a true threat at TE like Gonzalez...even taking a chance on Winslow or Vernon Davis. I think the addition of a true theat at TE will only help the Evans/Reed/Johnson/Parrish/Hardy core. Absent pulling that off, I read our front office liked LJ Smith of Philly. I could see a signing there. Of course, they could really go for broker and take a run at Owen Daniels who is a RFA in Houston, use some of that cap room.

If Matt Birk becomes available, I'd love to see it, but I just don't think he's leaving Minnesota. Another good name to remember is Jason Brown of Baltimore. He is a free agent and is only a 4 year guy, but has played pretty well.

That would leave our 1st rounder for either C Alex Mack or the best pass rushing DE available...perhaps we take the DE and try to move back into the end of the 1st round for Mack.