Jabari Greer

BillsObserver

Depends what his agent wants....I would certainly be willing to pay Greer 5 years 12-15M depending on the structuring. If some GM is ridiculous and pays him 5-6M/yr then let them have him for that amount. I really like Greer and think he is a very good corner. Have him play the slot and McKelvin and Mcgee as the two starters and you've got yoursoelf a very good secondary. With Brady back, Manning coming to town and the amount of 3-4 WR formations in this league you need a very strong stable of CBs.

I think Greer will easily get 30 mil on the open market, as crazy as that sounds. Teams way overpay for CBs. He has gotten better every year. I think that teams, after watching tape of him, will love his tackling skills, his fearlessness, and his knack for a big play once in awhile, and think to themselves, "Man, if this guy could play with a pass rush, he might be very good." He may not be a team's #1 shutdown CB but a team with one solid or one good corner could do a lot worse than Jabari.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

they'll probably end up letting Greer go, but will bite the bullet with Crowell and Peters, two guys that are not company guys but are irreplacable if the franchise wants to be better in 2009

I'm indifferent about Crowell, but with Peters, He blew this year. There were so many missed blocks which leads me to believe that he is replaceable. Especially after yesterday. I believe that we need to transition to faster O linemen. Peters gets burned. With faster pulling guards/tackles, it will help our running game in my opinion. The run plays this year have taken very long to develop and I think this is a cause of having the fattest O line. Peters is overrated and needs to be dumped.

they'll probably end up letting Greer go, but will bite the bullet with Crowell and Peters, two guys that are not company guys but are irreplacable if the franchise wants to be better in 2009

I wouldn't call Crowell irreplaceable. Yes, we have missed him this season but he's nowhere near the upper echelon of LBs. I think he would be valuable on any team, but he's far from being irreplaceable. Apparently the front office of this team agree with that by their actions before the season began.

Peters is good but he's going to command absolute TOP dollar. Is he really worth it?

I have followed him since he played at the Univ. of Tennessee, and would love to see him stay as a Bill. However the handwriting is on the wall that he won't be a starter and he is certainly better than a lot of starting NFL CB's...so I suspect someone is going to shell out heavy duty money to get him as a starter. Hate to see him go, but I can't imagine he will be able to turn down the money that is going to be coming his way.

Greer is the most underrated defense player on our team. This year alone he had HUGE game defining defensive plays. WE NEED TO RESIGN GREER. He is a future pro-bowler and could be one of the best CBs ever.

Agreed. I love McGee and the rookies look promising, but WHY would you let areally good player, on and off the field, go elsewhereP Pay him. We have no pass rush, so we need strong CBs.

I'd rathe keep a guy you know can play than sign someone else's castoff.

i'd like to save some money for a decent C in FA

There aren't many. The only one I've seen is Matt Birk.

Instead of re-signing Crowell, I'd sign Vilma to play MLB and move Poz to SLB. And since Ralph said it's a lack of talent, I'd expect the Bills to pursue one from among Haynesworth, Peppers, or Suggs (I can dream, can't I?).

I think Greer will easily get 30 mil on the open market, as crazy as that sounds. Teams way overpay for CBs. He has gotten better every year. I think that teams, after watching tape of him, will love his tackling skills, his fearlessness, and his knack for a big play once in awhile, and think to themselves, "Man, if this guy could play with a pass rush, he might be very good." He may not be a team's #1 shutdown CB but a team with one solid or one good corner could do a lot worse than Jabari.

I agree...he might get even more. Remember, Cory Webster just signed a 5 year 43 MILLION DOLLAR contract...20 mil guaranteed. Obviously, Webster really turned it on during last years playoffs and has had a stellar year, but he just won the starting job, what, 12 games ago?

All my Giant fan friends hated Webster until last year's playoffs, and then finally...he broke through. Obviously he's had a lot more team success and made some pretty nasty plays on the big stage...but when it comes down to it him and Greer weren't that different.

But Greer has a boatload more starts than Webster and an extra year of experience, and while he won't get the rediculous contract, I think he'll get enough where we wont sign him.

I think franchise tag is out of the question...last year it was 9.8 mil...no one is gonna pay that for Greer.

Maybe we can hope that being injured the last couple of games makes team forget about him?

:lol:

trade McGee and resign Greer...

We have a boat load of talent at DB we need more talent at LB and DE and the OL

I've posted this on here before, but once more couldn't hurt...how about moving McGee to free safety?

Hang on, hang on, before you call me crazy...I usually HATE the idea of moving a player to a new position, but I've always felt that McGee's skill set is better suited to play FS than corner. He played FS through the middle part of his junior season at NW State before moving outside to CB, so he's got some experience. He also has better straight line speed than short area quickness (a trait commonly suited to a safety as opposed to a corner) and takes terrific angles toward the football. I think for a veteran player it shouldn't take him very long to become acclimated to the position, and the Bills would see immediate rewards in the deep secondary. They won't see much change at corner either, as they can continue to roll out Greer, McKelvin, Youboty, and Corner, with perhaps a veteran FA to add some depth.

Sometimes, even though you have planned for the future, you take an opportunity I the present. They drafted McKelvin and Corner so they would have depth if/when Greer leaves. But, that doesn't mean you don't try to keep Greer, if you can get him at under-market value. A preemptive signing might have let them retain Greer at a reasonable salary, which they are very unlikely to get, now. The past two years have shown us you can't have too many good DBs...especially if you can have them all affordably. As much as I like Youboty's play, he can't seem to stay on the field.

Greer's injury may well help us out in that regard. We shall see, definitely should be one of the bigger stories of the offseason for us.

The pass rush, LB and Center have to be addressed in the offseason. A class TE would also be a welcome addition (Fine seems like a good #2). I don't think a preemptive signing of Greer, last year. would interfere with that pursuit, in any way.

Ordinarily, you want your second TE to be a power-blocking guy. I'm not yet sure if Fine fits that mold - he seems to have more potential as (eventually) developing into your starting TE than he does to be a long-term second TE.

JDG

How does anyone know the Bills didn't try and give Greer a contract after last season? It wouldn't surprise me to learn they made overtures, but Greer and his agent wanted to hit the open market.

And also, from Greer's perspective, McKelvin's drafting made it make a little less sense for him to sign here. If he signs with us, he has to think that the future for him is as a nickle CB behind McKelvin and McGee - he may want to go someplace where he would have a better shot to start.

JDG

And also, from Greer's perspective, McKelvin's drafting made it make a little less sense for him to sign here. If he signs with us, he has to think that the future for him is as a nickle CB behind McKelvin and McGee - he may want to go someplace where he would have a better shot to start.

JDG

He would still be starting here. McKelvin would play the nickle for another year and McGee will walk next year as a free agent. If we don't re-sign Greer, Reggie Corner will be starting in 2010 unless they go out and spend another very high draft pick on a corner.

There's about a 1% chance the Bills can keep McGee in Buffalo because he's going to be an unrestricted free agent right before an uncapped season. I don't think that "cash to cap" garbage the Bills insist upon is going to keep him around when he can get a ridiculously front-loaded contract elsewhere.