Josh Reed post game

bradjames24

The play, with the fumble, recovery, fumble, recovery took far longer than an incomplete pass, on the intended dump off pass to the FB, would have taken.

Assuming the Bills don't get the first down, either way:

If you run, the clock goes down to 2 minutes, and then it is of little use to the Jets. They either use their time outs, or their offense doesn't see the ball with more than 1 minute on the clock.

By throwing, an incomplete pass at 2:01 changes the entire dynamic. They get the free stoppage after 3rd down. And have their two time outs and 1:50. or something, on the clock.

Even if the plays do not work, a failed running play gets you better results than an incomplete pass with less than 2 minutes...which was a distinct possibility. Why take the chance? What's the payoff?

I already detailed the payoff. The payoff is that it's DEFINITELY a gain of 5+ yards if the ball comes out okay. And if that happens- again, Losman went DOWN at 2:02- it would have been a catch and run, the Jets would have the ball under 2 min, the Bills would have a first down, and NYJ would have less than 3 time outs. One more first down and the game is OVER.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who do you think the play was designed to go to?

Based on what Schonert said, it was designed to go to the FB. He fell down, but there were other open guys running routes.

Another poster may have had it right that Peters took a freebie on his block, thinking the play was supposed to unfold much quicker (assuming FB doesn't fall on face) and before Elam could have made it to JP.

I already detailed the payoff. The payoff is that it's DEFINITELY a gain of 5+ yards if the ball comes out okay. And if that happens- again, Losman went DOWN at 2:02- it would have been a catch and run, the Jets would have the ball under 2 min, the Bills would have a first down, and NYJ would have less than 3 time outs. One more first down and the game is OVER.

So, if the pass is complete for more than 5 yards, then it is a first down.

So is a run, if it gains 5 yards.

Why throw? That is the question. What is the advantage to putting the ball in the air, when your running game is picking up the needed yardage on nearly every play? And, again, the possibility of an incomplete pass with under 2 minutes is VERY real.

Based on what Schonert said, it was designed to go to the FB. He fell down, but there were other open guys running routes.

Another poster may have had it right that Peters took a freebie on his block, thinking the play was supposed to unfold much quicker (assuming FB doesn't fall on face) and before Elam could have made it to JP.

OK, how many times have the Bills successfully run that play? How many times today?

Why try something new, something cute for NO payoff?

Why call a play where our fullback, who's caught a grand total of 1 pass the whole year, and consistently drops pass after pass, is the primary receiver?

Why put the ball in the hands of the QB who's not smart and makes bad decisions, instead of in the hands of the RB who's ripped apart the defense the entire game?

So, if the pass is complete for more than 5 yards, then it is a first down.

So is a run, if it gains 5 yards.

Why throw? That is the question. What is the advantage to putting the ball in the air, when your running game is picking up the needed yardage on nearly every play? And, again, the possibility of an incomplete pass with under 2 minutes is VERY real.

Because a thrown pass coming out of a moving pocket against 10 defenders in the box has a better chance of traveling five yards than any run play.

OK, how many times have the Bills successfully run that play? How many times today?

And I'll come back to THIS again: the four passes JP threw prior to this play were:

11 yard pass to Fine in the flat

13 yard pass to Reed over the middle

10 yard quick pass to Reed

9 yard slant to Evans

That's four straight touch/timing passes in a row, and the four that preceded the play.

Why call a play where our fullback, who's caught a grand total of 1 pass the whole year, and consistently drops pass after pass, is the primary receiver?

Why put the ball in the hands of the QB who's not smart and makes bad decisions, instead of in the hands of the RB who's ripped apart the defense the entire game?

They've been saving that play for just the right time all season long! Imagine the patience they've shown all year long knowing they had the perfect play, but couldn't call it and win the game because they were waiting for that precise moment when the season was in the balance. It was so perfectly timed. I'm not sure what went wrong, maybe should have called it on first down?

Because a thrown pass coming out of a moving pocket against 10 defenders in the box has a better chance of traveling five yards than any run play.

And I'll come back to THIS again: the four passes JP threw prior to this play were:

9 yard slant to Evans

That's four straight touch/timing passes in a row, and the four that preceded the play.

Okay, I just re-watched this drive. And to see the triumph that was the TEAM TD to get Freddy in, only to know what will eventually transpire is sickening.

These guys were playing hard today. It's a a shame Peters/JP had to ruin it for everyone!

9 yard slant to Evans

Do you really not get it or are you just arguing for fun?

9 yard slant to Evans

You must be watching the wrong game, JP has no touch on the ball. :devil:

My biggest problem with Jauron has been and continues to be his lack of situational awareness. There are times when a roll out is good, times when it's bad. Times when throwing from the shotgun are good, times when its bad. Time's when you should run from the I, times when you should PA from the I. Jauron seems to have no clue as to when those situations are. Now, maybe that's all on the OC. But, the offense for the better part of 3 years under Jauron has absolutely no identity. They have big bruising linemen than they try and stunt with. They have a bruising back that they take out of the game inside the 10yard line. They have zero idea how to run an effective WR screen. It's just horrendously pathetic watching this offense fall all over itself with no direction.

Honestly, when was the last time our offense looked in sync for more than 1 or 2 drives in a game? Its a level of ineptitude that's almost beyond comprehension.

I honest to God think that Jauron suffers from some form of dementia. Situation awareness quotient....as close to zero as you can get. Less than knowledgeable fan level, for sure.

What's that old saying? There's three things that can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad? In teh Bills' case you can modify that to read "there are four things can happen when drop back to pass, and three of them are bad."

Okay, I just re-watched this drive. And to see the triumph that was the TEAM TD to get Freddy in, only to know what will eventually transpire is sickening.

These guys were playing hard today. It's a a shame Peters/JP had to ruin it for everyone!

I admire your dedication to defending Jauron and Turk, but you're trying to skate uphill on this one. It was a bad call. Even Jauron admitted that they shouldn't have put JP in that position:

Jauron refused to blame Losman, making his second straight start for the injured Trent Edwards.

"It's on my shoulders to protect him, to keep him from that situation," Jauron said, "and I didn't do it."

We had just ran the ball several times in a row against a stacked box, Their DL was too tired to stop us at that point. If you're doing something well, why change?

9 yard slant to Evans

If he is hitting 10 yard passes to his WR's and TE's with sucess, why the hell would you call a pass to your FB? (Who hasn't made a single play all year)

And if you are worried about the Jets having too many players around the LOS, why throw the ball to a slow player whose route is (at best) 2 yards past the LOS?

A pass play isn't the right call in that situation, and if you do call a pass, why call a play that hasn't worrked all year?

The question of what Losman had done over the course of the game to instill enough confidence in the coaches to let him have the ball with the game on the line.

JP had a decent drive. yes. Lynch had a great game. Regardless of that... the odds are in your favor to run the ball in that situation. If it were 3rd and 5, I might agree with you. If JP had thrown for 250+ yds and was playing with confidence, I might could agree with you. If Lynch had about 60 yards rushing, I might could agree with you. But the fact of the matter is, everything in that game, up to that point, screamed "RUN THE BALL". There was no need ot get cute and over think the situation. Just run it down their throat. Get to the 2 minute warning. Then decide what to do with 3rd and 2or3.

Hmmm...give the ball to your franchise RB who was at 21-127 for the game, or put the game in the hands of your fumble-prone, refuses-to-give-up-on-a-play backup QB. What to do, what to do....

This is why they pay Jauron the big bucks!