It's the concussion....

atl-fan

It's not the concussion.

No, I've never had one and I don't know anyone close enough to me who has. But look at the play-calling after Trent turned the ball over twice at Miami. Even in the Jets game, he wasn't throwing the ball with confidence.

I think it has everything to do with the combination of his self-confidence and the ultra-conservative play-calling.

the concussion has nothing to do with his play, b/c he was damn near perfect 2weeks later against SD. I think your on the right track with the playcalling and tougher opponents but i think the reason is a little different.

In the third quarter of the 1st Miami game we were up by 9 and Josh Reed got hurt, and that is when Trent began to lack confidence and turn the ball over. I'll admit i was one the many who just wanted to give Hardy the nod over Reed once he was drafted, but Reed really makes this offense go with his clutch posessio.n catches, since in Buffalo we haven't played with a tight end since 2002 when Riemersma left.

Once Reed came back against KC we score 54 points, then Trent gets hurt early against SF and cant throw accurately anymore. Overall i think trent will be good but maybe not great QB, if he s surrounded by any above average line, which he's not now, and given a few more weapons, he will be successful.

Oh yeah, and FIRE JAURON!!

the concussion has nothing to do with his play, b/c he was damn near perfect 2weeks later against SD. I think your on the right track with the playcalling and tougher opponents but i think the reason is a little different.

In the third quarter of the 1st Miami game we were up by 9 and Josh Reed got hurt, and that is when Trent began to lack confidence and turn the ball over. I'll admit i was one the many who just wanted to give Hardy the nod over Reed once he was drafted, but Reed really makes this offense go with his clutch posessio.n catches, since in Buffalo we haven't played with a tight end since 2002 when Riemersma left.

Once Reed came back against KC we score 54 points, then Trent gets hurt early against SF and cant throw accurately anymore. Overall i think trent will be good but maybe not great QB, if he s surrounded by any above average line, which he's not now, and given a few more weapons, he will be successful.

Oh yeah, and FIRE JAURON!!

I can appreciate your statement on Reed. I think the concussion had something to do with his play- you can factor in who we played as well- but remember in doing that, you may be making his reads easier or more difficult. Athletic trainers know more than we do, and I'm glad we agree on that....to bad that the coaches can override the trainers/doctors in the NFL. Below is a link to a study by the National Athletic Trainers Association.

http://www.nata.org/jat/readers/archives/4...r-43-03-265.pdf

- here is a key finding in the study

Regression Analysis

Multivariate regression analysis revealed that adjusted

symptom scores decreased (P , .001) at each time interval,

suggesting an improvement in the self-report of symptoms

over time. Neurocognitive scores demonstrated improvements

(P # .002) over time. We observed a trend between

total symptom score and intensity of activity after

concussion (P 5 .08). Table 4 provides the adjusted means,

standard errors, effect sizes, and percentile rankings

pertaining to our multivariate analyses. Some of the largest

effect sizes noted in the analysis were in activity intensity

and outcome.

I agree with mostly everyone on here...but i don't think the concusion is the problem with his play of late. But i do put the Adrian Wilson "hit" as part of the problem with his play. Its not so much getting the concussion, its how he got his bell rung in that ballgame. His decisiveness in the pocket hasn't been the same since the hit. I will throw the San Diego game aside because of the lack of pressure he saw in the ballgame. But watch his decison making before the hit and after the hit, big difference. What separated him from Losman was how fast he got the ball out, now they are both beginning to look like the same quarterback back there. In the NFL its all about confidence. Will he ever gain back that confidence he had before the hit?...remains to be seen...but it is what separates the average quarterbacks in league from the great ones.

Concussions affect people in different ways on different occasions. A buddy of mine has had three concussions (two from hockey, one from a car accident). Most days he is perfectly fine. Other days, he suffers from horrible migraines and claims he just can't focus. He's even had blackouts. The long term symptoms of a concussion don't lend themselves to consistency. That said, I doubt that Trent's groin injury was completely fabricated. Why would the organization pretend it was a groin when head issues are a perfectly legitimate reason not to play?

It is hard to say what the organization has in mind. FYI.....Zack Thomas formerly with those Fins and now with those Cowboys had issues also. Funny thing.... he went for some sinus surgery to improve his breathing and now those migranies have all but gone. I hear that this is the best he has felt for many months. Have that buddy see his nose man to explore that possibility.

OK...so maybe the play-calling can't be labeled as "conservative".

Does "predictable" sound better? Even so, it puts Trent in a bad spot, concussion or not. I still think a lot has to do with his confidence and not the concussion.

Plays aren't predictable. Players are predictable. If you know what a player's going to do- only look to check down- it's a lot easier to sniff out the "plays."

EDIT: Better yet I'll let Nolte make my point for me (sorry for that ad): Link

Get it over with already, TE has yet to completely recover from his Arizona game concussion. Place him on IR, let him rest, concussions can take up to 6 months to fully heal from, the Bills are just continuing to aggravate and slow his "roller coaster" recovery. How obvious does this have to be? But then again, maybe Jauron has a sympathy concussion also as he does not seem either to accept or recognize the effects this has had on any offensive consistency or production since the infamous Arizona game. That's the turn for this season.

Completely irresponsible of the coaches to plan this season, and continue on as if TE was indestructible. JP should have been getting more and more work immediately after the concussion. He wasn't until the "groin" injury. I had posted that he needed to be "warmer" but no, they sent him him colder than anyone can imagine, so season up in flames!

Now we post to start GH. Actually a great idea in combination with another great idea in that every win now is a loss for draft position, not that we've really had any luck or ability with good positioning anyways.

So I say, it can't get much worse than 3points/game so start GH. He may surprise and bring a little life into this offense and get him warmed up to his #2 role for next season. Who knows, maybe the next Matt Casell ?

Then explain to me why other players have come back from "concussion" in a week or two? And if a concussion can affect you for up to six months, why do doctors clear any player who has had one? I had a major car accident with injuries and a concussion. I did have some residual effects for about a month. My doctor told me that in boxing they can't box for 6 months after a concussion. The NFL won't go for that. If a player gets a concussion and you wait six months, he's out for the rest of the season. If that is the case, Trent never would have had that good game against KC!!

Then explain to me why other players have come back from "concussion" in a week or two? And if a concussion can affect you for up to six months, why do doctors clear any player who has had one? I had a major car accident with injuries and a concussion. I did have some residual effects for about a month. My doctor told me that in boxing they can't box for 6 months after a concussion. The NFL won't go for that. If a player gets a concussion and you wait six months, he's out for the rest of the season. If that is the case, Trent never would have had that good game against KC!!

Do you really think a doctor cleared Owens to play in the Superbowl a few years ago- I can tell you I know for a FACT that he didn't clear him- the team told the doctor that he had to go along with what they wanted. Team doctors have no say in anything in the NFL.

It's not the concussion.

No, I've never had one and I don't know anyone close enough to me who has. But look at the play-calling after Trent turned the ball over twice at Miami. Even in the Jets game, he wasn't throwing the ball with confidence.

I think it has everything to do with the combination of his self-confidence and the ultra-conservative play-calling.

I have had one. But if a doctor clears you then play (and he did play good a couple games). Did you know in boxing they make you wait at least 6 months before you can box again? If you did that in football you would kill that qb's season.

Do you really think a doctor cleared Owens to play in the Superbowl a few years ago- I can tell you I know for a FACT that he didn't clear him- the team told the doctor that he had to go along with what they wanted. Team doctors have no say in anything in the NFL.

How do you know that for a FACT? Are you the doctor? T.O. has such a big ego he would not miss playing in the Super Bowl now matter what. And if he can get coaches to agress, you are right it doesn't matter what a doctor says.

OK, let me get this straight:

So Edwards has sucked for the last 2 months because of a concussion. We also hear that a "buddy" still has blackouts and migraines following concussions years later. A blackout would explain his many interceptions and bad games. So, if Trent is going to suck everytime he gets hit, we better cut him now and move on. This is the NFL, and the QB is going to get hit. And hit hard. Every year. If Trent doesn't have the toughness to get up, he is no use to us on the bench.

Look at his career at Stanford. And now he is missing game after game in the NFL, just like in college. Does anyone see a pattern here ?? He stands to miss 4-6 games every season. That doesn't = a competitive football team.

Why are you apologizing for Trent's awful play ? Making excuses ? Compared to bad play, it is more concerning to me if these excuses are true, and that he isn't able to bounce back from injury. Then it doesn't matter how much he might improve, it doesn't matter how good he is if he's sitting on the bench.

Best post ive read all week

I've come to the conclusion that the only thing consistent about Trent is his inconsistency. His whole career in Buffalo has been one long series of ups and downs. He comes in against the Patsies last year and on the first drive, bang, bang, bang we score a TD. The rest of the game he didn't look so good. He had a few games after that and then laid a total egg against the Jets (2007) and had racked up a total of 3 points into the 4th quarter. JP bailed him out with a FG and bomb to Evans. In the Giants game last year he hit like 8 of his first 9 passes. Then after that he went like 2 for 15. Against the 49ers he came out strong and then finished the half with 9 straight incompletions. This year he started strong for 6 games and then sucked for 4 games, had one great game, and then sucked in the 1st half against 49ers and now is out with an injury again.

Hopefully he gets more consistent, but I have my doubts.

Get us a real QB for 2009!

Go BILLS !!

I've come to the conclusion that the only thing consistent about Trent is his inconsistency. His whole career in Buffalo has been one long series of ups and downs. He comes in against the Patsies last year and on the first drive, bang, bang, bang we score a TD. The rest of the game he didn't look so good. He had a few games after that and then laid a total egg against the Jets (2007) and had racked up a total of 3 points into the 4th quarter. JP bailed him out with a FG and bomb to Evans. In the Giants game last year he hit like 8 of his first 9 passes. Then after that he went like 2 for 15. Against the 49ers he came out strong and then finished the half with 9 straight incompletions. This year he started strong for 6 games and then sucked for 4 games, had one great game, and then sucked in the 1st half against 49ers and now is out with an injury again.

Hopefully he gets more consistent, but I have my doubts.

Get us a real QB for 2009!

Go BILLS !!

I think you're dead on about inconsistency. But that's what you get with young QBs in the vast majority of cases. Again, look at Eli Manning's inconsistency, which only disappeared after 4 full seasons. Trent and JP are still young QBs. It would be nice to skip that period and go right to consistency, but expecting that isn't realistic.

Still waiting for ANY backup on your original contention that concussion symptoms often last 6 months. The boxing regulation isn't medical, and doesn't speak to concussion symptoms at all.

Do you have any facts to back that up, or was it just a made-up number.

I don't expect any answer to this, but I'll be waiting just in case.

It's not the concussion.

Your explanation is right in my opinion.

Instead of letting Trent learn from his mistakes the coaches scaled everything back to be completely predictable and "safe".

Jauron is such a waste of carbon.

Still waiting for ANY backup on your original contention that concussion symptoms often last 6 months. The boxing regulation isn't medical, and doesn't speak to concussion symptoms at all.

Do you have any facts to back that up, or was it just a made-up number.

I don't expect any answer to this, but I'll be waiting just in case.

It's just another part of the excuse machine that once belonged to JP's fanbase, now it's been sold and under new ownership by the Trent fanboys.

Trent is not the Messiah as some would like to believe. He qualifies as being an injury prone version of Chad Pennington, whoopety fukking dooo, we suck.