McNabb

If Trent shows us something down the stretch (by something I literally mean ANYTHING--a freaking touchdown in 3 games would do at this point), I'd still want to give him a shot to regroup in the offseason and start going into next year. However, lets say that Trent continues to be as horrible as he has been since the SD game, what the heck are we going to do? I personally don't want to draft another QB...JP will be gone (not that it matters really)...are we going to go into the '09 season with a QB who's literally afraid to play the game and is turning out to be made of glass?

What would it take to get McNabb in here and does anyone think it would be a realistic possibility? Would it even make a difference if we maintain the same coaches? I'm starting to think P. Manning would be very average on our team with this playcalling.

Thoughts?

I'd rather get Hasselbeck if he would be cut loose in the offseason. With Holmgren leaving, it is possible they try to get younger and release him. While playing in Seattle he has experienced different weather, he also has been fairly successful during his career and probably still has a year or two left. He could be the starter for a year or two while Trent learns a little more. I still think he could be a good player, but I think a lot of what kills most young QBs are the expectations to do well when they really are not at that point yet or the coaches cannot put him in a position to be successful.

Obviously there a two rookie QBs that are playing very well, but I think that's mroe the exception than the rule. Edwwards looks good, but could probably benefit from sitting behind a real vetern QB instead of Losman. Some one he can learn behind. Even if Edwards were still to be the starter, if he had another rough patch of games like he is going through now, the coaching staff might feel OK in bringing in a real vetern QB rather than Losman.

I think there is no doubt the Bills need a vetern QB in the offseason and they probably need to draft one as well. I would like Hasselbeck over pretty much anyone else given that he was heathly and a FA.

Bingo.

Bringing in McNabb would be another Bledsoe situation and we'd be griping about him and running him out of town during his second year. I honestly think that bringing in a veteran QB like McNabb would set this team back 2-3 more years.

Trent is the guy right now. Let's give him a chance, please.

You have to be kidding comparing McNabb right now to Bledsoe then...McNabb can run, has a strong arm and is still young enough to play at his level for at least 4 more years...

I'd rather get Hasselbeck if he would be cut loose in the offseason. With Holmgren leaving, it is possible they try to get younger and release him. While playing in Seattle he has experienced different weather, he also has been fairly successful during his career and probably still has a year or two left. He could be the starter for a year or two while Trent learns a little more. I still think he could be a good player, but I think a lot of what kills most young QBs are the expectations to do well when they really are not at that point yet or the coaches cannot put him in a position to be successful.

Obviously there a two rookie QBs that are playing very well, but I think that's mroe the exception than the rule. Edwwards looks good, but could probably benefit from sitting behind a real vetern QB instead of Losman. Some one he can learn behind. Even if Edwards were still to be the starter, if he had another rough patch of games like he is going through now, the coaching staff might feel OK in bringing in a real vetern QB rather than Losman.

I think there is no doubt the Bills need a vetern QB in the offseason and they probably need to draft one as well. I would like Hasselbeck over pretty much anyone else given that he was heathly and a FA.

Hasselbeck? Really? What exactly has he done in his career? Never won anything, injury prone, makes crucial INT mistakes a regular, and hasnt been a factor on the field in 2 years.

Let me preface this with ...... I'm a Trent guy, I think he will do well for a long time in the NFL.

That being said, IMHO we do need a "grey beard" QB on the team ...... weather to give Trent another year or two to get up to speed, or to provide a "big brother" type of presents in the locker room and film room as a backup.

McNabb .... fine, Hasselbeck ..... fine, Garcia ....... fine I think all three will be "available" this off season and just may think extending their career a few years may be a good thing. We don't need a "face of the team" I think Trent will eventually fill the bill, what we do need is someone to take the pressure off for a year or two until Trent is ready to carry the team on his shoulders.

Yeah a 37 yr old McNabb is just what Buffalo needs.

McNabb isn't 37, I think he's still 31 or 32..def. still in his prime. In fact, I think he's around the same age as P. Manning/Brady and co. give or take a year.

Look at Collins in Ten. or even someone like Frerotte in Min., Warner in Ariz, etc. etc. We need someone who's capable of moving the chains and has enough moxie to score once we get into the redzone. We haven't been able to score TD's in the redzone since Bledsoe/Henry.

Also, McNabb is used to playing in crappy weather and wouldn't go into a little shell when it gets cold out.

In my opinion, he would be perfect for this young team and would immediately take Evans and Roscoe to a new level.

In my opinion, he would be perfect for this young team and would immediately take Evans and Roscoe to a new level.

Dont you mean immediately take Evans and Steve Johnson, Reed, and/or Hardy to a new level...lol...I just dont see Roscoe ever being relevant at WR outside of a big play threat on some gadget plays.

I wouldn't mind Hasselbeck either. Again, this is not to say that I don't like Edwards and want to move on, but if Edwards shows us nothing these next 3 games (assuming he plays them all), then we really need to reconsider our options. (IMO)

I don't even really mind if he makes mistakes either these next three games. All I want to see is him be comfortable playing football, and not look terrified to throw the ball even when he's given 6 seconds in the pocket.

Another poster mentioned the KC game...that was a solid game for Trent, but I want to see him play at least respectably against a team that has a better than .250 winning percentage; something he has yet to do.

Dont you mean immediately take Evans and Steve Johnson, Reed, and/or Hardy to a new level...lol...I just dont see Roscoe ever being relevant at WR outside of a big play threat on some gadget plays.

lol...I don't know. I really think Roscoe has been used so poorly in the receiving dept. that we have no idea how good he is. I'm sure if he was playing in Indy or NE they would find a way to utilize him more in the passing game. In all honestly, I forgot to put "etc." at the end of that sentence. But ya, same would apply to the rest of the WR's. However, I'm really starting to have some doubts about Hardy. Other than that catch against Jax for a TD, as big as it was, he has done absolutely NOTHING this year...and by nothing, I mean he hasn't even given us a body of work to judge him by. He's played 13 games and has 9 receptions for 87yds and 2td's. horrible.

the eagles didn't draft a QB in the 2nd round to sit him, and McNabb counts for something like 11 million on their salary cap next year, and nothing if he is let go...he'll be availible, if we can out bid chicago we would have a chance to get him. I don't expect to find a QB any other way. a QB that is from the north and played in the north...these Cali guys need to go!

:rolleyes:

Donavan is a proven winner has good leadership and can teach Trent somethings.

Philly fans never wanted Donavan and Donvan excelled where other would have failed he has mental and physical toughness and I think he would bring the toughnes back to buffalo and would love to throw deep to Lee evans besides that he also knows how to play in the cold and it would be refreshing for him to get out of the tough defensive NFC East into the softer AFC east defences.

MCNABB is the best option to get us back to winning :rolleyes:

I think you're oversimplifying this. Please use your theory to explain Kurt Warner signing with Arizona or Chad Pennington signing with the Dolphins (in the interests of fairness, please also note Trent Green with the Rams). Good veterans are frequently cast off by teams who are trying to reorganize their franchise for some reason. Such players are often still viable and will usually sign with anyone. There are still other examples that don't conform to these parameters either (Vick and Shaub for example).

Good point - though I still think my analysis works, unless the "cast off" player only has one viable option. For instance, if McNabb were to be "cast off", the Bills ability to sign him would be dependent upon the 2 factors I listed, UNLESS no other team wanted him ... in which case the Bills become the "better than nothing" option.

I believe in each of the cases you mentioned, the players either: (a) had multiple options and picked the one that paid more or came with a potential "winning situation" (read: SuperBowl coaches/front office, strong potential, commitment to winning); or (b) didn't have much choice but to go with the single team that showed serious interest.

McNabb isn't 37, I think he's still 31 or 32..def. still in his prime. In fact, I think he's around the same age as P. Manning/Brady and co. give or take a year.

Look at Collins in Ten. or even someone like Frerotte in Min., Warner in Ariz, etc. etc. We need someone who's capable of moving the chains and has enough moxie to score once we get into the redzone. We haven't been able to score TD's in the redzone since Bledsoe/Henry.

Also, McNabb is used to playing in crappy weather and wouldn't go into a little shell when it gets cold out.

OK OK---I was wrong on that. But the guy seems way over the hill at his relatively young age.Thats what fooled me.

Gosh I just don't know--injury prone, not very intelligent.....VERY TALENTED YES....