Enough with the "deferring" criticism

BADOLBILZ

Why is this discussion being made in a vacuum, as though Jauron is the only coach deciding to defer all the time? Week after week I watch games and without an exception that I can think of, the winning team defers. Like I said, it's just an inane criticism.

If you want to criticize Jauron, how about focusing on the things that competent coaches do that he doesn't?

I totally agree, which is why I started this thread. There are so many things that make Jauron a losing head coach, and attacking him for doing this actually dillutes the argument, IMO. I mean, let's talk about his horrendous track record, his poor choices of coordinators, his weak grasp of modern offensive football, his poor gameplanning, his questionable assessment of personnel and most glaring, his dreadful, slow blinking, gameday decision making.

I think part of the reason that things like his calm demeanor and choice to defer are issues is that a lot of folks were willing to overlook his track record. Some even defended him and compared him to great coaches who had losing starts. Now, it just feels better for them to think that the problem is just now being identified, rather than something that should have been expected the day he was hired. I mean guys, I care a lot less about his pale, deathly appearance than I do his 7 losing seasons in 8 tries.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

folks were willing to overlook his track record. Some even defended him and compared him to great coaches who had losing starts. Now, it just feels better for them to think that the problem is just now being identified, rather than something that should have been expected the day he was hired. I mean guys, I care a lot less about his pale, deathly appearance than I do his 7 losing seasons in 8 tries.

I haven't been on this board as long as some, but I can honestly say I've learned quite a bit from the more knowledgeable posters. There's a whole bunch more to understand, but I can't get over the fans who convince themselves that the situation here was fine until this season. There were underlying issues during the 5-1 start which were masked by inferior opponents, who I might add are all dreadful this season.

The problems of this franchise have been identified by many posters on this board, yet the front office believes they know better. That's not to say a good poster from TBD can be GM, but the example to build a team should be more obvious this season.

With all due respect to Marv, his track record as GM has proven that he was not capable of handling the job. Some knew after the first draft, but it's taken the most stubborn until now to realize it.

Yeah, I think the bigger issue is why do the Bills give up a score on the opponents first drive so often? My take is that the Bills defense too often presents the opposing offense with exactly what they expect to see. Fewell observes how the opponent wants to attack his defense on that first drive, and then reacts in subsequent posessions. I hate that. I want my defensive coordinator to know what the opponent is trying to do and attack from snap one. However, there is no reason to think that receiving the ball first is going to prevent the opponent from scoring on THEIR first drive. See that long, methodical, well schemed drive by SF after the Bills squandered good field position after receiving that opening kickoff.

Actually, the Bills deferred and kicked off to SF:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=281130002

Actually, the Bills deferred and kicked off to SF:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=281130002

Yeah, I was mixing up the SF and Cleveland games. They've melded together in my mind. Of course, in the Cleveland game the Bills immediately turned the ball over after receiving the opening kickoff.

But hey, don't get me wrong, I understand what you are saying about not knowing his team. But I'm not sure if he doesn't know them or just can't do anything about it.

I mean, when I think of not knowing his team, I think of Gregg Williams, the author of the "preposterous punt". I'll never forget that game against NE, when trailing by 20 to the Pats early in the second half, Williams chose to punt on 4th down from well inside the Pats 40. Worst decision to punt EVER. And, as Easterbrook would say, the football gods were not pleased. The punt went into the endzone, netting about 15 yards and the Pats then marched right down the field and scored yet again. I'll never forget the sinking feeling I had when I saw Moorman trot out to punt that ball. It was the same feeling I got when I found out the Bills were hiring Jauron.

Yeah, I was mixing up the SF and Cleveland games. They've melded together in my mind. Of course, in the Cleveland game the Bills immediately turned the ball over after receiving the opening kickoff.

But hey, don't get me wrong, I understand what you are saying about not knowing his team. But I'm not sure if he doesn't know them or just can't do anything about it.

I mean, when I think of not knowing his team, I think of Gregg Williams, the author of the "preposterous punt". I'll never forget that game against NE, when trailing by 20 to the Pats early in the second half, Williams chose to punt on 4th down from well inside the Pats 40. Worst decision to punt EVER. And, as Easterbrook would say, the football gods were not pleased. The punt went into the endzone, netting about 15 yards and the Pats then marched right down the field and scored yet again. I'll never forget the sinking feeling I had when I saw Moorman trot out to punt that ball. It was the same feeling I got when I found out the Bills were hiring Jauron.

He punted from the freaking 32, if memory serves!

Re: That punt by Greggggg: I was there, and also could not believe that we were losing by 20 in the 2nd half and this moron punts from the Pats 37 yard line. I turned to my buddy at the time and said: This guy just quit on his team! He lost me w/ that one for sure. BTW, the punt sailed into the end zone, so we netted 17 yards. And on the next N.E play, they threw one of their flanker screens and scored on it, sealing the game....... Oh, and when you defer,that gives the other team the first chance to get the lead, which is statistically significant, and coupled w/ our horrible defense, gives our opponent a better chance of winning (see SF game as an example). Defering would not usually matter, but to this team, right now, it's the wrong thing to do. We've done it the last 3 weeks, and KC and SF scored TD's immediately, and the Fins used the field position advantage to score on their second possesion. We're not too good at coming from behind; hence defering bad.....

Don't know why I did this, but I did:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?g...p;override=true

Down 17-7, on the first drive of the third quarter, it was 4th and 2, and Moorman kicks a 15 yarder that Brown fair caught at the 17.

Here's how the Pats responded:

1-10-NE 17 (11:41) T.Brady pass to C.Cleeland to NE 20 for 3 yards (C.Wire). Flare left, caught at NE 20.

2-7-NE 20 (11:06) A.Smith right tackle to NE 27 for 7 yards (A.Brooks). PENALTY on NE-Tro.Brown, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at NE 27.

2-10-NE 17 (10:41) T.Brady pass to D.Patten pushed ob at NE 36 for 19 yards (E.Robinson). Screen right, caught at NE 18.

1-10-NE 36 (10:16) A.Smith left guard to NE 39 for 3 yards (P.Williams).

2-7-NE 39 (9:33) T.Brady pass to Tro.Brown to BUF 49 for 12 yards (A.Brooks). Caught at BUF 49, right side.

1-10-BUF 49 (8:57) A.Smith right guard to BUF 47 for 2 yards (L.Fletcher, P.Prioleau).

2-8-BUF 47 (8:21) A.Smith up the middle to BUF 45 for 2 yards (E.Robinson).

3-6-BUF 45 (7:46) K.Faulk for 45 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

A.Vinatieri extra point is GOOD, Center-L.Paxton, Holder-K.Walter.