Golic criticized Willis

Dawgg

He showed Bledsoe's final interception in the endzone and highlighted Willis. WM started running after the guy, but then after about 20 yards, just stopped and gave up when he could have made the tackle with some extra effort.

He then showed Moulds running through 4 blocks to make the play.

He showed Bledsoe's final interception in the endzone and highlighted Willis.  WM started running after the guy, but then after about 20 yards, just stopped and gave up when he could have made the tackle with some extra effort.

87658[/snapback]

Regardless of the whole WM/TH thing, Golic is right. You never give up, period! I hope that Moulds' play will teach WM and others that lesson.

He showed Bledsoe's final interception in the endzone and highlighted Willis.  WM started running after the guy, but then after about 20 yards, just stopped and gave up when he could have made the tackle with some extra effort.

87658[/snapback]

Oh please, Willis would have never caught him.

He should have just grabbed his hamstring while running if he felt like stopping. To make all you guys at least give him reason.

He knew, like we all really did, that he had no shot.

That's why I like Willis: he's a realist.

He should have just grabbed his hamstring while running if he felt like stopping. To make all you guys at least give him reason.

87700[/snapback]

And he's made of teflon.

And he's made of teflon.

87721[/snapback]

Yeah, I kind of like that. No fault on Willis.

I'll defend him. I like him. Young, talented, and smart enough to know when a play is a lost cause. If he had ran full bore and ripped his hamstring on a play that was already gone, this would be a different story.

The play was over, he had no chance. you want him to go through the motions when he knew he couldnt catch up and risk his knee on a meaningless play?

I'll defend him. I like him. Young, talented, and smart enough to know when a play is a lost cause. If he had ran full bore and ripped his hamstring on a play that was already gone, this would be a different story.

The play was over, he had no chance. you want him to go through the motions when he knew he couldnt catch up and risk his knee on a meaningless play?

87723[/snapback]

Get out! the guy with the ball ran out of gas, maybe with some effort ala Don Beebe, he strips the ball out and we get it back. Hard to know since he was watching the veteran chase the guy down and tackle him. Sorry, this is no excuse for stopping. And admit it Steve, if Travis had done the same thing, you would have been all over it. Be honest.

Risking injury is a fair point. But saying he couldn't catch him is a bunch of, well... stevestojan.

87700[/snapback]

Get out!  the guy with the ball ran out of gas, maybe with some effort ala Don Beebe, he strips the ball out and we get it back. Hard to know since he was watching the veteran chase the guy down and tackle him. Sorry, this is no excuse for stopping.  And admit it Steve, if Travis had done the same thing, you would have been all over it.  Be honest.

87731[/snapback]

This has been brought up yesterday as well, but it's very possible that he was winded himself and couldn't keep going; if the guy who made the interception was winded and was presumably in camp the entire time, it's very possible that Willis got tired.

It was also reported here (and I didn't pay attention when I saw it) that if Willis had kept running, there was a Raven waiting to block him HARD out of the play. Psychologically, I can understand avoiding that.

It's also possible he was hurt -- he didn't play the rest of the game. (either that or MM benched him for giving up, who knows).

CW

87700[/snapback]

He'll never catch him after he stops trying, that much is true. But he must make the attempt.

In the words of Wayne Gretzky, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

87723[/snapback]

risk? might as well not even practice, the risk is too great. gimme a break man.

NEVER give up on a play. What, his talents and hammy/knee are above the team??? Moulds caught the guy, why couldn't Willis at least try? Even if for Pride, go all out. The eyes of the fans are upon you.

Hey, I like Willis too. But if they showed a similar clip of Cory Dillon, no one here would cut him some slack.

Hey, I like Willis too. But if they showed a similar clip of Cory Dillon, no one here would cut him some slack.

87877[/snapback]

!@#$ Cory Dillon....If Travis did that, everyone here would be bashing him to know end and adding in a comment that Bledsoe had to force that throw cause Henry missed a blocking assignment....

I like Mcgahee but c'mon dont make an excuse for him giving up....What if he blew his hammy?? WTF he can blow his hammy on any given play, make the extra effort and dont give up....

Look at Moulds, he was 10 yards farther away then Mcgahee but he went into 2nd gear and didnt give up and caught the guy....Thats a leader right there....

Hopefully Mcgahee learns from this and never does that again....

risk? might as well not even practice, the risk is too great

87877[/snapback]

No, because practice will give you some benefit. Chasing a guy that he knew he wouldnt catch is risk with no benefit.

Basically, all of you people wanted him to put on a show for the fans, to show that he was a "team" player. He obviously knew it was a lost cause, and felt there was no point in risking injury.

Personally, I dont care if he is a team player. I don't care if he walks through the locker room Bryan Cox style, whipping everyone off. If he comes out on the field and runs for 100 yards a game, I wouldnt care.

87658[/snapback]

There is no freaking way Willis ever gets into position to make that tackle and he knew it ! That's why he stopped. There were two Ravens between him and the DB with the ball. One of which had a clean path to a knockout blow on WM if he tried to cut to the right side of the field. WM was in the middle of the field. Anyone could see this. Why get injured making a hopeless attempt to catch the guy? If WM is near the sideline, I say he would have kept running. He was never in a position to make that play. B)

No, because practice will give you some benefit. Chasing a guy that he knew he wouldnt catch is risk with no benefit.

87998[/snapback]

stevestojan, How is there no benefit.....if he catches him and we stop for 3(which we did), its still a two score game with over two minutes left....

Now i know you will say this offense didnt score any TD's in the first 57+ minutes, they wouldnt score two with just over two minutes left....and i agree....

But Mcgahee was big part of that offense that didnt score anything for 57+ minutes and not to mention he spotted the Ravens 7 by batting the ball up in the air earlier in the game.....

Make the !@#$ING effort....

There is no freaking way Willis ever gets into position to make that tackle and he knew it ! That's why he stopped. There were two Ravens between him and the DB with the ball. One of which had a clean path to a knockout blow on WM if he tried to cut to the right side of the field. WM was in the middle of the field. Anyone could see this. Why get injured making a hopeless attempt to catch the guy? If WM is near the sideline, I say he would have kept running. He was never in a position to make that play. B)

88017[/snapback]

UMMMMMMMMMMMMM<<<scratching head>>>.......Moulds made the tackle with 3 Raven Defensive players in front of him and he was 10 yards further away when Mcgahee gave up on it....

The other thing Golic correctly pointed out was that Willis gave up from the moment the ball was intercepted. He made no effort to fight off the first block, but rather slid to the side, and then never even fully accelerated before deciding there were too many Ravens breathing down his neck to continue pursuit. It was a bullstevestojan effort by Willis and I hope the entire team gave him a world o' crap during film review this week.

What gets me is that NO ONE is talking about how Ray Lewis tackled Lee Evans (I believe) when the ball what in the air and that is why there was an interception.

Ray Lewis was almost non-existent on Sunday. Yeah, I know, we game planned around him, but really, what great plays did he make? I know WM went right around him on his biggest run.

But all I heard was great coverage on Lee Evans. Sure ... it started out as bump and run, making contact legally, but he interfered with Evans, and now we discuss whether or not WM should be taken out and shot for giving up on a play that he may have thought was coming back. Bad choice by a virtual rookie? Yes. Any worse than choices made by veterans this year? Not by a long shot.

Obviously the Bills should start the RB who best runs down Bledsoe's end zone interceptions.

Note to Travis, starter 1B, when Bledsoe tosses up a red zone int this Sunday, catch that mutha and you'll move up to starter 1A next week.