True Story Of Government Waste.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The amount of waste on the program I'm working on is sickening. The worst part to me is the ridiculous amount of contractors they have doing the same thing. At the same time, none of them will cooperate with the other companies because they're afraid they'll get their contract poached during annual re-bids. Un-farking believable!

I could write volumes about what's wrong with some of these contractors...

How quickly would everyone learn to speak English if driving tests, welfare applications, tax forms, ATMs, etc were not offered in Spanish?

Maybe some more would lean English. But, surely more people would drive without licenses, not pay taxes and steal to get enough $ to get food. ATM's probably wouldn't be a problem.

Other than that, though....good plan! :thumbsup:

I lost my SS card and had to go to get a replacement card. They called me in and I gave the woman the application and showed her my license and told them my SS#. You'd think she would have walked over to a printer and handed me a new card. No they're gonna mail it to me.

How much more does that cost over just handing me a damn card!? :w00t:

Another thing that pissed me off is they have applications in Spanish. Learn the :worthy: language! I noticed they didn't have applications in French or German or Swahili. What the :w00t: is happening here. :w00t:

[/rant]

They just want to make sure you live where you say you are living, hence the mail, just one last check, get over it... talk about immediate gratification.

You've been "drinkling whiskey dick"? I don't think I want to know what that means.

:P I keep getting into a deeper hole, on this one.

For the record, Whiskey Dick is an old nickname for DC Tom...and NO, I wasn't drinking (or drinkling) DC Tom.

If they mean that making English the official language would stop government forms and phone trees from being done in Spanish then I'm all for it. As someone mentioned before if that was done you'd be seeing people learn English much faster!

So, you suggest the USA adopt English as its official language for the purpose of cutting back on the expense of printing forms in two languages?

:P

Do you have any idea of the expense of making English the official language?

Also, the REAL money saver is to make the forms electronic, thereby adding very little expense to have them in different languages (as compared to the current system). Of course, that costs money to implement, too.

Also, the REAL money saver is to make the forms electronic, thereby adding very little expense to have them in different languages (as compared to the current system). Of course, that costs money to implement, too.

Surprisingly, no. I've been involved in more projects like this than I can count (at least two federal, I don't know how many state and local). It should be less expensive; because of the rules and regulations surrounding government forms, it's usually a waste of money.

So, you suggest the USA adopt English as its official language for the purpose of cutting back on the expense of printing forms in two languages?

:P

Do you have any idea of the expense of making English the official language?

I believe the long term benefits would outweigh the short term costs and as Tom pointed out above those costs may not even exist. It can only benefit this country to have everyone speaking English. If you can't speak English then it's your responsibility to get help for that. Not the governments.

I believe the long term benefits would outweigh the short term costs and as Tom pointed out above those costs may not even exist. It can only benefit this country to have everyone speaking English. If you can't speak English then it's your responsibility to get help for that. Not the governments.

I never pointed that out. I said The Dean's idea of cost savings via electronic media was a fiction.

Surprisingly, no. I've been involved in more projects like this than I can count (at least two federal, I don't know how many state and local). It should be less expensive; because of the rules and regulations surrounding government forms, it's usually a waste of money.

I appreciate the input from someone with actual experience in the area. I understand you correctly, it is only expensive and wasteful, now, because of antiquated [my addition] rules and regulations. I think the government needs to start overhauling those regs, to try to get only 20, or so years, behind the times. And, while I understand that changing the rules costs money, I don't think it costs anywhere near the money that a constitutional amendment to make English the official language of the country, would cost...nor would it involve as much political BS.

One of the "changes" I hope to see from this next administration is the acceptance of some of the benefits of the new information age (as well as realistically addressing the problems and threats, it poses). Have an administration that isn't ignorant, nor afraid, of the technology should be an advantage in getting those kind of changes started.

I'm not saying it WILL happen, but I think there is a decent chance that it might.