Plaxico Burress And The Second Amendment

If he has to go to jail for a few years I wonder if he will challange that the NY law is unconstitutional? I wonder how the court would rule. The DC ruling seems to leave open the possibility

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/20...otus-guns_N.htm

The majority opinion, written by Justice Antonin Scalia, established for the first time in U.S. history that the Constitution's Second Amendment gives individuals the right to keep guns at home for self-defense. Yet Scalia noted that a person's right to gun ownership is not unlimited. He said it would not likely override bans on concealed weapons; laws that prohibit felons and the mentally ill from possessing firearms; or those that ban firearms in government buildings and schools.

Beyond that, the court did not address what types of regulations would survive legal challenges. It did not say, for example, whether people have a right to carry guns in their neighborhoods, or keep them in their cars on the way to and from work.

Doubt it. He had a Florida license that expired almost 6 months ago...ample time to get it renewed.

And look at this article, the second point:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...ress/index.html

Before 2006, prosecutors would need to show that Burress had the intent to use the gun unlawfully against another person, not just carrying it around without a license. Now because of this new law, that is thrown out the window.

I'm pretty sure this is why P. Diddy got off on his gun charge stuff back in the day, and now why Plax won't.

the only thing he can do here is to plead guilty, hope to get some sort of plea deal and hope and pray its less than the mandatory 3.5 years.

I don't think theres anything that would be enough to challenge the constitutionality of the law. And theres a difference of staying at home than bringing it to the club, loaded, while youre getting loaded on booze. he's royally screwed.

Also very interested in seeing how this plays out and if his lawyer can keep him out of the pen. He's the guy who got Puff Daddy and Jennifer Lopez off the hook on a gun charge several years ago, but I'm pretty sure in that case they didn't have the gun in his hand like they do here. If PB is not a celeb, he's already in prison and staying there for a while.

Also interested to see what Goodell does. This is on par with some of the stuff that has brought guys major suspensions.

Also very interested in seeing how this plays out and if his lawyer can keep him out of the pen. He's the guy who got Puff Daddy and Jennifer Lopez off the hook on a gun charge several years ago, but I'm pretty sure in that case they didn't have the gun in his hand like they do here. If PB is not a celeb, he's already in prison and staying there for a while.

Also interested to see what Goodell does. This is on par with some of the stuff that has brought guys major suspensions.

I suspect he'll get suspended indefinitely.

Now, if he was playing for NE*, I'm pretty sure Goodell would just slap his wrist and buy him some fresh ammo.

I suspect he'll get suspended indefinitely.

Now, if he was playing for NE*, I'm pretty sure Goodell would just slap his wrist and buy him some fresh ammo.

If Plax played for NE, he wouldn't have had to take that trip to the hospital as <_< The Holy Bruschi would have healed him

I'm interested in that as well, especially given a recent ESPN the Magazine article detailing how, in the wake of the Sean Taylor death, Javon Walker beating in Vegas and home invasion robberies of many prominent athletes, many athletes are taking personal security to extreme measures.

If he has to go to jail for a few years I wonder if he will challange that the NY law is unconstitutional? I wonder how the court would rule. The DC ruling seems to leave open the possibility

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/20...otus-guns_N.htm

He'd have to argue that the law infringes upon his right to carry a conceled, loaded, unlicensed handgun. Pretty sure that brief wouldn't get too far.

I'm interested in that as well, especially given a recent ESPN the Magazine article detailing how, in the wake of the Sean Taylor death, Javon Walker beating in Vegas and home invasion robberies of many prominent athletes, many athletes are taking personal security to extreme measures.

Speaking of Sean Taylor, it was interesting to watch Drew Rosenhaus interviewed on MNF about Burress (his client). He started lamenting how upsetting it was for him, especially after what happened to Taylor.

All I could think was "Ummmm...Drew...if I were you, I'd play down the fact you seemingly represent most football players getting shot. Not a real impressive calling card."

Law abiding US citizens should be allowed to carry a concealed handgun no matter where they live. Discharging it in a nightclub is another story!

Carrying a concealed handgun in NYC only is against the law without a special permit and chances of getting one of those are slim to none. This does not apply to the rest of NY state where only a license to carry is needed.

I wouldn't exactly equate Burress with Vick. Yeah, Burress was holding but the only person he hurt was himself. What Vick did is unforgivable, Burress is just dumb.

I agree with you on the comparsion between Burress and Vick . But what Burress did was dumb , it was also a felony

Carrying a concealed handgun in NYC only is against the law without a special permit and chances of getting one of those are slim to none. This does not apply to the rest of NY state where only a license to carry is needed.

I have my NY concealed carry permit and that obviously does not apply to NYC or the surrounding burroughs. I have heard that the NYC permit process is in place to skirt legal issues with banning gun ownership. I would be surprised if they have issued a single concealed carry permit in many years in NYC.

I agree with you on the comparsion between Burress and Vick . But what Burress did was dumb , it was also a felony

This is true. My idea for Vick is to punish him the way Hammurabi would. Make him fight one of the dogs that he starved and trained to kill. It'd be interesting to see just how long he lasted. I'd give him about 5 minutes, being an athlete and all.

I have my NY concealed carry permit and that obviously does not apply to NYC or the surrounding burroughs. I have heard that the NYC permit process is in place to skirt legal issues with banning gun ownership. I would be surprised if they have issued a single concealed carry permit in many years in NYC.

You are right about that. As a matter of fact visiting officers there on official duty have to go to HQ's to notify that they are there on official business.

This is true. My idea for Vick is to punish him the way Hammurabi would. Make him fight one of the dogs that he starved and trained to kill. It'd be interesting to see just how long he lasted. I'd give him about 5 minutes, being an athlete and all.

Thats right and if the NFL ever allows him back in the league I am done following pro ball I,ll follow college and high school.Once Vick is out of jail he will be in trouble within 6 months or dead.

Law abiding US citizens should be allowed to carry a concealed handgun no matter where they live. Discharging it in a nightclub is another story!

Here in Alaska we have C.C. no permit required. But you may not carry if- A. you are intoxicated B. in a bar. So P.B. would be in trouble even here, never mind N.Y.C. Those tight gun laws in N.Y.C. are not new-they date to the Sullivan act of 1911 or so.